Vokarya's Workshop: Wonders

There is a <bSpaceProgram> tag on Projects. Does it actually do anything? I went looking through the source files and I don't see that it has an effect other than to help guide the AI. I think it would be nice if it did.

There is a <bSpaceProgram> tag on Projects. Does it actually do anything? I went looking through the source files and I don't see that it has an effect other than to help guide the AI. I think it would be nice if it did.
I've added it exactly to help AI develop a Space Program and eventually for other uses if needed.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14232510 said:
I've added it exactly to help AI develop a Space Program and eventually for other uses if needed.

Do you think it would be possible to change Spaceship production to Space Program production? I think that would give a much better reason to have +Spaceship production on Modern Era buildings. Right now, I think +Spaceship production on Modern buildings doesn't do much.

Do you think it would be possible to change Spaceship production to Space Program production? I think that would give a much better reason to have +Spaceship production on Modern Era buildings. Right now, I think +Spaceship production on Modern buildings doesn't do much.
I'll look into it but not before next month as I'm away from my modding PC. It should definitely be possible anyway.

Medical Clinic has a serious problem in my opinion. It's vague, vague, vague, shares its art definition with the Hospital, and feels like it could fit anywhere between the Renaissance and the end of the game. It's also necessary to keep Replacement Organs at the two-trick threshold.

Here's a reskin of Medical Clinic that makes it fit much better. The new name is Organ Bank. I pulled the art assets out of the Reconstruction mod, but the original concept comes from Civ II's Test of Time. The statistics are unchanged.

View attachment 407075

So I have a list of things that I haven't done yet but still want to do. At that point, I think my work on this mod will be done.

The first thing that I want to fix is Silk Road.

Silk Road has what I see are a few problems with it.
  • It comes too early in the Tech Tree. Silk Road is currently available with Trade in the Ancient Era. While some trading along the Silk Road may have been done in the Ancient Era, I don't think it really started to take off until the Classical Era. Having Silk Road this early also forces the separate Silk Farm improvement, as whatever tech allows tapping Silk resources becomes a second prerequisite for the Road. If the Silk Road came later, we could fold the Silk Farm back into Plantation.
  • Its effect is both a little too powerful and also dull. +100% gold is really powerful if combined with a Holy City or other mass gold-booster. On the other hand, single-city effects are generally for National Wonders, while World Wonders boost the entire civilization.

So here are the changes I am thinking about.

First, move Silk Road to Aristocracy + Calendar. Aristocracy could use some assistance. (I toyed with the idea of moving Plantation to Aristocracy, but I don't think that will work.) Plantation and Dome Farm will then be able to tap Silk resources.

Second, replace the gold bonus with another effect. I have some ideas, but I'd like to know what you think would be best. Some ideas I had are:
  • A foreign commerce trade bonus. (Keep in mind Via Appia produces a domestic Commerce bonus, while Petra produces a bonus for connected Capitals.)
  • +gold to Bazaar in every city.
  • +gold to Caravanserai in every city.
  • A free Caravaserai in every city. The Caravanserai is available at about the same time. It requires Horse Breeding, which is not on the path to Aristocracy or Calendar, but I think would not be a bad thing in this case.
  • A literal "Silk Road", using Python to lay roads connecting the building city to all sources of Silk you own, from the building city to your capital, and from the building city to the visible tile on the same continent containing the largest foreign city. This uses the pathing algorithms already in-game, and it can't connect to a tile you can't see, but you don't have to know a city is there. The effect will give you a road stretching off somewhere from your borders.

I'm leaning towards options 4 and 5 combined, but that might be too much.

Option 5 is a "must have" part of effects IMO.
Free buildings are used too common.

My idea:
  • A literal "Silk Road"
  • Some foreign trade bonus.
  • Little faster construction of Caravanserai in every city.
  • and maybe +0.5 :gold: or :commerce: for Bazaars if possible

A literal Silk Road sounds like a very cool idea. That should definitely be in the wonder.

I wonder if Machu Picchu could be changed too. Having a one-time use improvement feels strange the least. Not to mention that improvements can be pillaged or destroyed. I'm always a little scared to accidentally replacing MP with a mine :blush:
So how about giving it an ancient relics resource instead? Even if that comes handy only later other effects are still powerful enough.

The improvement is pretty strong and can make the city where its built very strong (esp. if it has only one peak)

I wonder if Machu Picchu could be changed too. Having a one-time use improvement feels strange the least. Not to mention that improvements can be pillaged or destroyed. I'm always a little scared to accidentally replacing MP with a mine :blush:
So how about giving it an ancient relics resource instead? Even if that comes handy only later other effects are still powerful enough.

You cannot remove Machu Picchu. The Machu Picchu improvement has the <bPermanent> tag. It cannot be replaced with another improvement or pillaged. The only other improvement that has this ability is the Dig Site.

You cannot remove Machu Picchu. The Machu Picchu improvement has the <bPermanent> tag. It cannot be replaced with another improvement or pillaged. The only other improvement that has this ability is the Dig Site.

Oh, I didn't check that. That's good.
However, it's still a one-trick-pony thing. Is that really good?

The good thing about Machu Picchu is it turbocharges your peaks and the effect remains even after it obsoletes.

The bad thing about Machu Picchu is you need to have A LOT of peaks to maximize its effect, as the python runtime is activated only once.

This makes it into a very tricky pony, as while it does one thing, it does it incredibly well, if you happen to have a lot of mountains.

Oh, I didn't check that. That's good.
However, it's still a one-trick-pony thing. Is that really good?

MP does a little more than just the improvement. There is a separate Python routine that gives all Peaks you own when Machu Picchu is built a permanent +1F/+2P/+1C bonus and an additional +1C for Peak tiles in the building city's radius.

After that, it gives +50% defense (stacks with all other defense bonuses), +4 culture, and +2 GPP. I think it's actually comparable to Oracle. It fires once and then gives a small benefit for the rest of the game.

The good thing about Machu Picchu is it turbocharges your peaks and the effect remains even after it obsoletes.

The bad thing about Machu Picchu is you need to have A LOT of peaks to maximize its effect, as the python runtime is activated only once.

This makes it into a very tricky pony, as while it does one thing, it does it incredibly well, if you happen to have a lot of mountains.

Sorry, you don't get my point.

I'm not talking about Machu Picchu the WONDER (it's great :goodjob:) but Machu Picchu the IMPROVEMENT. It's an improvement you cannot build at all and will appear only when building the MP wonder. Looks like it's even confusing for some people :lol:
That's why I suggest the change: Use something more generic. Either placing a resource or redesign the improvement. E.g. rename it to Landmark which can be built only later in the game and only under certain circumstances.

Sorry, you don't get my point.

I'm not talking about Machu Picchu the WONDER (it's great :goodjob:) but Machu Picchu the IMPROVEMENT. It's an improvement you cannot build at all and will appear only when building the MP wonder. Looks like it's even confusing for some people :lol:
That's why I suggest the change: Use something more generic. Either placing a resource or redesign the improvement. E.g. rename it to Landmark which can be built only later in the game and only under certain circumstances.

Part of my philosophy of Wonders is that World Wonders do things that can't be duplicated. I am really reminded of the old 2nd edition AD&D Book of Artifacts. Guideline #1 is Artifacts cheat. What this means is that artifacts break the rules. I apply the same philosophy to World Wonders. What can I do that will be totally unique?

I quite like MP (both Wonder and "Improvement") as it is.
On land and mountain heavy maps like highlands it's invaluable, and even on normal maps the bonus to the Peaks is really nice to have.

Part of my philosophy of Wonders is that World Wonders do things that can't be duplicated. I am really reminded of the old 2nd edition AD&D Book of Artifacts. Guideline #1 is Artifacts cheat. What this means is that artifacts break the rules. I apply the same philosophy to World Wonders. What can I do that will be totally unique?

World Wonders are unique. They should do unique things. Otherwise they're just very expensive normal buildings ;)

What do you think of bringing back the other ability of Carhenge? Its current version provides a free Recycling Center in all cities. With Recycling Center costing +15% in maintenance, I think sometimes this is more painful to build than it should be.

The alternative ability that has been created before is that whenever a mechanical unit (that is, <bMechanical> is 1) dies, the owner of Carhenge gets gold. The original idea is that the gold is equal to half the base cost. So a Tank with a base cost of 180 would net 90 gold to Carhenge's owner when it dies. We could do a different % or a flat amount of gold per unit.

What do you think?

Top Bottom