Question regarding national stability

thegreekweegee

Warlord
So far, when playing revolutions, local stability is straightforward: the more stabilizing factors there are, the less the chance an individual city will rebel and cause trouble. However, despite empire stability dipping to dangerously unstable more than a few times in many of my playthroughs, I've noticed it does very little, if at all when it comes to inciting revolutions.

Which makes me wonder: what's the purpose of empire stability? Not trying to ask in any accusative manner here, but I've been preplexed for a very long time and despite searching around, I can't seem to find any answer that would solve my question.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure myself, that part has been coded by the Revolution Team and Afforess (if I'm not mistaken) merged that part a long time ago. But I think I recall I read somewhere that the name of the variable was misleading, because it's about nationality and not national (or empire) stability. I might be wrong though.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14291233 said:
I'm not sure myself, that part has been coded by the Revolution Team and Afforess (if I'm not mistaken) merged that part a long time ago. But I think I recall I read somewhere that the name of the variable was misleading, because it's about nationality and not national (or empire) stability. I might be wrong though.

Weird... thanks still.

Nationality and national stability are two different variables. The nationality factor is individual and based on % culture in the city, but can be modified by cultural spending. It's only going to be positive (add to the rev counter) while the city has a good deal of foreign culture (as I read it, more than 40% foreign).

The national stability is a separate value. There are a bunch of variables that go into this, especially civilization size and tax/culture spending. I'm trying to read this and it's very complex. (Revolution.py, lines 1805-2100)

Given current actual problems here in Europe with migrants (but looking at Trump I don't think there's a big difference in the US), I wonder if we should reduce that nationality limit and maybe kick in revolutionary sentiment even with smaller foreign culture values. I think there's anyway a limit around 40% under which there's no revolution anyway. But I can't see the code now, I'm not sure I recall it correctly.

A quiet response:
I think people were more tolerant and accepting in the past. IMO lowering the limit would make sense only from the industrial era. IMO.

Not true, I'm afraid. Discrimination always existed since time immemorial, and having even a sizable group of foreigners (40%) would incite violence. Lowering the limit would be more realistic, but one also needs to implement roman-style naturalization mechanics to counteract this sort of thing.

Not true, I'm afraid. Discrimination always existed since time immemorial, and having even a sizable group of foreigners (40%) would incite violence. Lowering the limit would be more realistic, but one also needs to implement roman-style naturalization mechanics to counteract this sort of thing.
Pax Romana was mostly kept through military presence and we already have that mechanic. I agree with you about the foreigners limit, but I'm mostly thinking about gameplay.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14293665 said:
Pax Romana was mostly kept through military presence and we already have that mechanic. I agree with you about the foreigners limit, but I'm mostly thinking about gameplay.

Yep, pretty much. I'll wait for what you got in store, in the meantime; lowering the limit while increasing military presence effects with large numbers sounds like it's going somewhere, but without testing...

My current game is in the early Renaissance. I want to see how things change once I get through that and closer to Federation/Secular/Volunteer Army and the changes that are built into the rev code once you reach Scientific Method, Liberalism, and Nationalism. As I read the code, Scientific Method reduces the revolution change (good and bad) from religion, Liberalism reduces the effects of garrisons (but you can still get the same total effect if you pack in enough units), and I think Nationalism increases the effects of foreign nationality, but it's harder for me to tell due to so many functions.

The national stability is a separate value. There are a bunch of variables that go into this, especially civilization size and tax/culture spending. I'm trying to read this and it's very complex. (Revolution.py, lines 1805-2100)

Any luck?

Top Bottom