Buildings with Trade Routes Tags Discussion

How hard would it be to code a city size multiplier for the foreign/domestic connectedness?

That might actually be a good suggestion. I'll see what I can do, if the rest of the team agrees.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13944042 said:
That might actually be a good suggestion. I'll see what I can do, if the rest of the team agrees.

While you're at it, keep an eye out for adding a diplomacy multiplier too :D

What if we just tried lowering the caps? Instead of them being 5x Afforess' original values, why not just 2x or 3x?

Another thing I was thinking is what if we applied the minimum population size mechanic for particular buildings? It already exists but isn't being used much (power plants have minimum size 6, but I don't think we are using it on other buildings).

What if we just tried lowering the caps? Instead of them being 5x Afforess' original values, why not just 2x or 3x?

Another thing I was thinking is what if we applied the minimum population size mechanic for particular buildings? It already exists but isn't being used much (power plants have minimum size 6, but I don't think we are using it on other buildings).

Lowering the cap size is one step, but varying map sizes should have variance on how many cities you need for the bonuses. I think that was the original plan but never got implemented.

Minimum city size for buildings would make the effect a bit too bipolar, it's either on or off. Scaling the max bonus with city size would create a smoother effect, if it's possible? Or another solution could be to use city size to control the connected cities cap somehow. The latter method would make it easier to balance out buildings on different eras. Come to think of it using city size as scaling factor AND cap limiter would create the best effect.

Here's an example of my reasonings, there may be some redundant multiplyings and calculations there, but this is the general idea. I have no clue what this would do to performance? Also I'm not sure if it's possible to do calculations in XML, or do you need to add more XML tags and code in the calculations that use the values from XML?

Connected foreign cities would be affected by diplomacy (value 0 when at war, value 1 when good relations & open borders or trade agreement), or even size and era, if it's not a performance issue:
ConnectedForeignCityValue = RelationFactor(0..1) * AgreementFactor(0..1) * (0.5 + CitySize / EraModifier) (0.5...2.0)

So "Connected Cities" wouldn't actually be the amount of connected cities but the value of those connections. Size/era modifier could be applied to domestic connections too.

Add some multipliers that depend on city size to be able to control smooth rise of commerce, and map size related multiplier:
<iForeignConnectedCommerce> = FixedValue1 + BuildingMultiplier * CitySize
<iCitiesRequiredPerForeignConnectedCity> = MapsizeMultiplier * FixedValue2
<iMaxForeignConnections> = FixedValue3 * CitySize
<iMaxConnectedCommerce> = FixedValue4

Example of Toll House:
Toll House
<iForeignConnectedCommerce>0.5 + 0.1*CitySize</iForeignConnectedCommerce>
<iCitiesRequiredPerForeignConnectedCity>1.0*3</iCitiesRequiredPerForeignConnectedCity>
<iMaxForeignConnections>4*Citysize<iMaxForeignConnections>
<iMaxForeignConnectedCommerce>8</iMaxForeignConnectedCommerce>

Commerce values for Toll House
size 1 = 0.6 (with 3 connected cities of value 1, or if foreign city factors do not count)
size 2 = 1.4 (with 6 connected cities)
size 3 = 3.2 (with 12 connected cities)
size 4 = 4.5 (with 15 connected cities)
size 5 = 6.0 (with 18 connected cities)
size 6 = 8.0 (capped with 24 connected cities)
size 7 = 8.0 (capped with 21 connected cities)
size 8 = 8.0 (capped with 21 connected cities)
size 9 = 8.0 (capped with 18 connected cities)
etc.

As you can see, small cities won't get burst economy by just building a single building, but they need less connections to achieve the lower cap. Bigger cities also need less connections to achieve the cap since they generate commerce by being an attractive trade partner by themselves, which seems realistic enough? The hard numbers are thrown out of my hat, they can be tweaked with the different fixed values and multipliers.

I'm becoming to think this system may actually be very much similar to the trade route system!

Anyway, if it's too complicated, you can just dismiss my ramblings :)

Warhead factory? I remember that some point it has population size minium..

It is used for some of the village hall line of buildings as well.

Have you had the chance to look into connectedness, or does it still work like it used to?

My last game stopped to my disappointment after I noticed that I could make money by spamming cities wherever and building paved roads and other trade buildings and creating commerce out of nowhere...

Is connected foreign/domestic cities still simply the same number for all cities, no matter if it's size 1 tundra or size 25 thriving capital?

Top Bottom