Multiplayer Same Console

Oddible

signal / noise > 1
Is it possible to play multiplayer on the same console or only across the network? Like hotseat or something? (Haven't gotten the game yet for XBox).

I think that you can play over LAN, I am not sure though. I do not know about splitscreen, though I doubt it.

You can do a game between two consoles over a LAN, and that's what the "System Link" option would be.

Otherwise, for a game like this, it's probably not a good idea to have multiplayer on one console, since basically you'd know everything the other guys is doing, which would take out a lot of the strategy.

Co-op.

It seems really absurd to me that this game doesn't support hotseat play. Co-operative play is a huge buzz right now in the game industry and is a big source of funding in games research - how to create co-operative play in games and how to better support co-op play. Odd that it isn't in this game.

Co-op.

It seems really absurd to me that this game doesn't support hotseat play. Co-operative play is a huge buzz right now in the game industry and is a big source of funding in games research - how to create co-operative play in games and how to better support co-op play. Odd that it isn't in this game.

there is co-op, in a sense. You can play teams online against humans in ranked, or against the AI in unranked. There isn't this option for playing it on a single console, but I don't really think this game is the best fit for co-op. if there was some kind of story mode, then it may make sense, but it's basically a board game with randomized maps. I don't think anyone is calling for co-op monopoly or co-op settlers of catan. doesn't make sense to me. but, if you really want to do it, and have 2 consoles and can meet up over xbox live or psn, then you can do this.

I don't think anyone is calling for co-op monopoly or co-op settlers of catan. doesn't make sense to me. but, if you really want to do it, and have 2 consoles and can meet up over xbox live or psn, then you can do this.

Lol, and yet there is a Hotseat version of CivIV.

Lol, and yet there is a Hotseat version of CivIV.

CivIV is a much more complex and slow moving game. It makes a lot more sense in a much deeper game to have hotseat. In CivRev, the turns usually only take about 1-2 min to complete, if that.

There is so much more to manage on the PC civs, that I'm sure that hotseat mode would provide longer sittings at the computer, and have less effect on the gameplay if someone was next to you. I'm no PC Civ expert, so take that with a giant grain of salt.

But, for this game, I could see it working ok. But it just doesn't seem like a great idea. Maybe it would make some games last longer and provide deeper strategy. But, this game can be won so easily off the smallest of advantages, that If I see that I can rush the other guy because I know exactly where his cities are, what his defenses are, and what his resources are, then lots of games would end very quickly. A lot of my longer MP games go on because I get to lazy sometimes, and then realize that I just wasted an hour or two not attacking the other guy, and finish the game off with my tanks or bombers killing his single warriors in his cities.

If they think it could broaden the appeal for the next one, then they should do it. I'm probably too biased on this matter anyway, since I thouroughly enjoy the multiplayer community, never have a problem gettting matches, and don't know many people that play the game and would come to my house to play it.

The advantage of hotseat play is multiple people in the same household (or houseguests) can play against each other without having to buy a second TV, console and copy of the game.

Yes, it's slower. Not a huge problem if you can save & play again another day. (And although the early turns only take a few minutes, later when I have a dozen cities to manage and a dozen armies to move, it takes more than 2 minutes per turn.)

Yes, being able to see the other player play gives an advantage. (But it's fair advantage which goes both ways.) Or, the inactive player(s) simply leave the room (assuming there's a replay so you can see what happened, just like in SP).

There's also the side benefit of being able to experiment by playing both sides in a battle.

Top Bottom