Really Advanced Setup

Cool! I'm glad that you got it working and thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Civ 5 mods now work on Mac's.

Yep, strange that they make it harder to use on macs, but it does indeed work! (and is the only reason I got re-addicted to this game!)

If you happen to feel like adding something, would it be possible to dictate Natural Wonders? At the very least choose which (if any) are going to be present, or perhaps put them in an X hexes from start type of thing, similar to the resources?

That'd be pretty cool.

I have the Natural Wonder idea in my list of things to do. Not sure when it's going to happen, but hopefully some day I'll get around to working on that list. :rolleyes:

You control the number of city states by going to the map panel and using the slider.

Hello and thanks for the great mod!

I'm wondering about Civilizations starting without settlers. I did that in my last start to two AI civs and gave them enough units, it seems, because neither had a problem aquiring a city state as their first city. This city turned into their capital (with the little star next to the city name) but under victory conditions it says they haven't founded a capital city. I'm wondering how this will affect a domination victory. Any experiences?

I've either never had that happen to me - or I didn't notice (I've tested that option on numerous occasions, but never played a complete game).

Off the top of my head I can think of no reason why the mod would cause that to happen. I'll have to check it out and see if the problem occurs when I play the game.

Thanks for the heads up.

Can I set this up somehow so that the AI on higher difficulty levels no longer start with a 3 or 4 tech lead on me?

Not directly, but you can give yourself one or more free starting techs (you get to select them after the game starts).

Just curious, but is there a way to use this mod to setup a game and then load it without the mod in order to get achievements. I can see how that could easily be abused, but I'm really only using it to select active civilizations, and everything else is default. The problem is that the save is tied to the mod so I can't play it without it.

Since I have a feeling it would be impossible to change the mod to prevent it being tied to the saves (what with the potential to change the science tree slightly), and because you probably wouldn't want people to abuse the other setup features anyway, perhaps you could create a "light" version of the mod which isn't tied to saves, which only allows things that should be standard in the base game anyway. i.e. the active civilizations, maybe changing civilizations names (though that might necessarily be tied to the save game anyway), but nothing involving starting resources or units.

All I really want to do is pick 12 civilizations and play a game with 8 of them, picked at random. And I would like to do it with achievements if at all possible, since that's not exactly cheating.

I'm hoping you'll consider this idea, as this is a fantastic mod.

Edit: Actually, now that I've tried the mod, I can't seem to get it to work properly. I only just noticed that the Civ I'm playing as isn't one that I selected to be active! After a few tests I realized that the active civilizations had no effect on what was actually picked at random, though it did change what selections were available if I wanted to pick them manually. Even when the only active civ selected is Isabella, I ended up playing as Harold Bluetooth. Something's clearly gone wrong. I haven't tried messing with the other options so I'm not sure if the entire mod is broken for me or just that aspect. I was using a modded map script but even without it it doesn't work right. Any help you can provide for me to get this working?

Go to the Map panel and deselect all civs then click on the boxes for the 12 civs that you want to activate them. Then go to the Civilizations panel and add or delete AI players until you have 8.

That's exactly what I did, and that's what I would have expected to work, but it doesn't. I even tried manually selecting "random civilization" for each player but that doesn't do it. Even if I just keep it in the map panel and select the active civs, then click the "set number of civs to map default" button, then hit start game, I still get civs I didn't select. I can take some screenshots if you like.

There was a small patch recently, maybe that's messing things up? It just isn't working the way I'd expect it to.

Edit: I did a little more testing. If I select all the civs manually it works fine. i.e. if I pick myself as Isabella, the AI as Casimir, Bismarck, etc., it all works as expected. It's only when I select random civ for any of them that it completely ignores the active civ list and just picks anything. Starting visibility also seems to work fine. So the mod as a whole isn't broken for me, it's just one aspect, which I suspect is a bug, possibly caused by the latest patch.

I would check to ensure it still works correctly for you, as if it does, I'll be thoroughly confused.

Hi,
I had to register just to post this but I've just come across a similar situation.
As Dylansan said above, selecting Active Civilizations with the Really Advanced Setup mod doesn't seem to be working. I tried launching a duel map with only two active civilizations and chose a random civ for both in the players setup. Yet I ended up with two civs I had made inactive. I tested it a couple of times and I could not get certain civilizations inactive no matter what map or configuration.
I tried deleting all other mods to see if there were incompatibilities, as well as deleting the mod cache but neither had any impact on the issue.
I also suspect that the recent patch messed up the mod so that inactive civilizations somehow end up being activated in the randomization process. Previously the mod worked fine.

Glad to see it's not just me.

Hoping you can get this working again as it's something I've been looking for something like this for a while.

Thanks for the input - I'll look into it.

Just wanted to say I am having a similar problem with deselected empires showing up in the game. Also reported on Steam.

I really hate Attila mostly because of his city naming convention :p

Just curious, but is there a way to use this mod to setup a game and then load it without the mod in order to get achievements. I can see how that could easily be abused, but I'm really only using it to select active civilizations, and everything else is default. The problem is that the save is tied to the mod so I can't play it without it.

You can just edit the .modinfo file manually so that AffectsSavedGames is set to 0 instead of 1. Just tested this by getting myself the 'All Roads Lead to Rome' achievement by giving myself a legion and 3 free techs to start the game, saving, going back to the main menu, then loading the save and building a road. Seems like an easy achievement to get anyways, so I didn't feel too bad about it.

Honestly the fact that you can't get achievements with mods enabled just makes no sense if the purpose is to prevent cheating. They're individual achievements that reward absolutely nothing and cheating at them is already beyond trivial, even for those with absolutely no programming experience.

Top Bottom