Civilization Appropriate General and Admiral names

Throw me a link to where I can download it (hopefully a direct download rather than a steam since I've been having trouble with steam and mod downloading lately). I haven't done a lot with worldbuilder maps except where I just put down starting locations. Not sure exactly how things are done structurally when there are also XML rules, so I just need to look at one before I answer back on the meat of your question.

Ok no problem. You can download it here.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24385173/WWIMapNew__v_1__zip
Castelnau

What I would like to do is take your mod and just change the names of each civs great generals and admirals that I am using for my scenario. So in other words, if I play as France my Generals would be guys like Joffre, Castelnau, Gallieni etc etc. Now I don't mind if I have to load the mod separately or not. I don't have to have it as part of my map pack. I would just add it in my OP as an option download so people can use it if they wish.

If I can do this for WWI, I'd like to make a similar mod for my Pacific War scenario. What you have created is something we have needed since Civ 5 came out. Anyway thanks for looking into it.

Set-Up A 'Reference' to my mod within yours

If your want to make it optional I think you'd still want to add a reference to my mod so that when are both enabled, my mod loads 1st.

The mod id you need for the reference is
Code:
fe245559-0525-41bb-9e1c-b281e018b5fc
If you've never done references, blocks, or dependancies before they are done under the "Associations" tab under mod properties. If you leave the minimum version to "0" and the maximum version at "999" any new version updates I release will still work for you.

..............................................................................................................................................

Add a Great Generals and Admirals file within your mod

If you look through my mod you'll see two folders called Great Admirals and Great Generals. Within the Great Generals folder, for example, there's an XML file called UnitNames_GGenerals.xml. This has commands exclusive to Great Generals names for the <Unit_UniqueNames> table. Notice that I delete all previous data provided from Firaxis at the very top of this file. This gives me a clean slate to work from. You may or may not want to do the same, and then as I did rebuild the table from scratch so far as Great Generals is concerned.

The way my mod works is that I added a new column for <CivilizationType> to the table <Unit_UniqueNames>. And then my lua handles what needs to be done with the new column. As long as my mod loads 1st all you will have to do is manipulate the names within the <Unit_UniqueNames> table as appropriate for a WWI scenario. This is why I'm thinking it might work better for you to keep the <Delete> command at the top of your changes. It shouldn't really matter that my mod loads, deletes the data for Great Generals, rebuilds it all, and then your mod does the same process all over again, I wouldn't think. But to be absolutely sure, before you release anything, you should run your scenario both with my mod enabled and with my mod disabled. When My mod is disabled it should tend to make the file within your mod for great general names fail because the game at that point won't know what to do with this <CivilizationType> you're using in the <Unit_UniqueNames> table.

If you look at the format I used for adding new names of Generals, you'll see I'm using a format of:
Code:
<!-- CIVILIZATION_AMERICA -->
<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WINFIELD_SCOTT" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" />
<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ROBERT_LEE" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" />

This is exactly equivalent to:
Code:
<Row>
	<UnitType>UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL</UnitType>
	<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WINFIELD_SCOTT</UniqueName>
	<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_AMERICA</CivilizationType>
</Row>
<Row>
	<UnitType>UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL</UnitType>
	<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ROBERT_LEE</UniqueName>
	<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_AMERICA</CivilizationType>
</Row>
My lua absolutely depends on the <UniqueName> column being presented in a format of TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_SOMEBODYS_NAME. This means you will also need a <Language_en_US> table for the Great General names that show to the player. But in the <Language_en_US> table you create you will not want to have any repeats of what the game starts with or what I used within my mod. Obviously you can change the text that appears in-game by using <Updates> to any of the TXT_KEYS I used, or the ones the game provides within the <Language_en_US> table.

If you look in the Great Admirals folder, you will see I used the same approach for Admirals.

If parts of this are not clear obviously just message back and I'll try to clarify.

If parts of this are not clear obviously just message back and I'll try to clarify.

What I did first is copy and paste all of your folders into my mod. I added your reference number to associations as well. Umm I will keep your delete command and manipulate the names within the <Unit_UniqueNames> table.

Ok I started a mod with 3 Japanese generals just to test on a duel map. If the right names come up I know the mod is a success.

What is the prefered language of names, LeeS? Do you prefer English for the real name or the way the name is actually written in the civilization's language?

OK it worked. I am going to double check just to make sure another one of my names pops up.

After a double check we are good to go. l have to do is add names to my lists. Thanks LeeS.

What is the prefered language of names, LeeS? Do you prefer English for the real name or the way the name is actually written in the civilization's language?
Since everything is run through the <Language_en_US> table it would need generally to be English. As long as a name can be represented in English characters it really doesn't matter to me whether the name is presented in its more authentic cultural manner, or if it is shown in the 'English-ized' version.

So the Iroquois Joseph Brant is represented as Thayendanegea, and Joseph Louis Cook is represented as Akiatonharonkwen. In both cases these are their 'real' names and not the names used commonly in English or American dispatches and literature.

I use Francois Darlan for the French Admiral rather than trying to stick into the <Language_en_US> table the more proper representation of his name that the French language would use. The 'c' in Francois is not really a 'c' when rendered properly in French, but has a little half-circle deal under the 'c'. The <Language_en_US> table does not deal very will with that authentic character, nor 'n' with the Spanish ~ symbol over it, nor the aspirant vowels used in other languages. These are really the only constraints, and they come from the limitations of the game table used for the English language.

Hope this answers your question.

I hope you don't mind then that I made a few corrections to your list of Dutch names and expanded the list a bit:

Generals
Maurits van Oranje
Filips van Lalaing
Filips van Hohenlohe-Neuenstein
Hendrik van Nassau-Ouwerkerk
Frederik Christiaan van Reede
Godard van Reede
Joost de Soete
Adolf van Nieuwenaar
Willem II van Holland
Willem Frederik van Bylandt
Willem Frederik George Lodewijk van Oranje-Nassau
David Hendrik Chassé
Simon Spoor

Admirals:
Michiel de Ruyter
Maarten Tromp
Witte de With
Cornelis Tromp
Jochem Swartenhont
Johan Evertsen
Jan van Speijk
Jacob Pieter van Braam
Piet Hein
Cornelis Jol
Karel Doorman
Jacob van Heemskerck
Egbert Kortenaer
Jacob Roggeveen
Abel Tasman
Johan Zoutman
Conrad Helfrich

I hope you don't mind then that I made a few corrections to your list of Dutch names and expanded the list a bit:

Generals
Maurits van Oranje
Filips van Lalaing
Filips van Hohenlohe-Neuenstein
Hendrik van Nassau-Ouwerkerk
Frederik Christiaan van Reede
Godard van Reede
Joost de Soete
Adolf van Nieuwenaar
Willem II van Holland
Willem Frederik van Bylandt
Willem Frederik George Lodewijk van Oranje-Nassau
David Hendrik Chassé
Simon Spoor

Admirals:
Michiel de Ruyter
Maarten Tromp
Witte de With
Cornelis Tromp
Jochem Swartenhont
Johan Evertsen
Jan van Speijk
Jacob Pieter van Braam
Piet Hein
Cornelis Jol
Karel Doorman
Jacob van Heemskerck
Egbert Kortenaer
Jacob Roggeveen
Abel Tasman
Johan Zoutman
Conrad Helfrich
No prob :) I can always use any help or 'buffing up' anyone thinks might be good.

Though I think I might already have had a couple of those names, only in a shortened form. If the name gets over certain lengths, the game downsizes the font size it uses. Once you hit a certain length for the name you are trying to get to display in the unit box, the font size is so tiny you can hardly read it. When I did shortenings of names I tried to also show in the list I posted the 'full value' of the name for reference, but I know I missed a few here and there.

In any event I'll certainly look over your suggestions and add them as appropriate where I didn't already have them listed in a differing form.

As an example I took this name:
Code:
Antonio de Padua María Severino López de Santa Anna y Pérez de Lebrón
and shortened it to
Code:
Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna
Check out this site I found LeeS.
Nice !

I was afraid the game might truncate long names, I understand if you have to shorten them. Strangely (?) admirals never came from noble families :),

I was afraid the game might truncate long names, I understand if you have to shorten them. Strangely (?) admirals never came from noble families :),

Gaspard II de Coligny did. But for the most part no they did not.

Is there something wrong with this code here? I can't get the text to show up in game.

This is from my Text_GAdmirals.xml

Spoiler :
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Created by ModBuddy on 6/29/2014 6:52:01 PM -->
<!-- NOTE: The Organization by CIVILIZATION_XYZ in this file is not a functional XML effect
		It merely makes for easier organization. -->
<!--		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_X" Text="X of X" />	-->

<GameData>
	<Language_en_US>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_HALSEY" Text="Halsey" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_GHORMLEY" Text="Ghormley" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_LEARY" Text="Leary" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_KINKAID" Text="Kinkaid" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_SPRAGUE" Text="Sprague" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_TURNER" Text="Turner" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_SPRUANCE" Text="Spruance" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_FLETCHER" Text="Fletcher" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_KING" Text="King" />

<!-- CIVILIZATION_CHINA -->
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_ZHENG_HE" Text="Zheng He" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_SHI_LANG" Text="Shi Lang" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_GAN_NING" Text="Gan Ning" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_ZHOU_YU" Text="Zhou Yu" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_HUANG_GAI" Text="Huang Gai" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_CHING_SHIH" Text="Ching Shih" />

<!-- CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND -->
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_MOUNTBATTEN" Text="Mountbatten" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_FRASER" Text="Fraser" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_VIAN" Text="Vian" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_RAWLINGS" Text="Rawlings" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_CUNNINGHAM" Text="Cunningham" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_SOMERVILLE" Text="Somerville" />

<!-- CIVILIZATION_JAPAN -->
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_YAMAMOTO" Text="Yamamoto" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_NAGUMO" Text="Nagumo" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_NAGANO" Text="Nagano" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_HIROYASU" Text="Hiroyasu" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_OZAWA" Text="Ozawa" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_KOGA" Text="Koga" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_TOYODA" Text="Toyoda" />

<!-- CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS -->
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_HELFICH" Text="Helfich" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_STAVEREN" Text="Staveren" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_DOORMAN" Text="Doorman" />

<!-- CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA -->
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_KUZNETSOV" Text="Kuznetsov" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_ISAKOV" Text="Isakov" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_FRINOVSKY" Text="Frinovsky" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_ORLOV" Text="Orlov" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_GALLER" Text="Galler" />

<!-- GENERIC NO CIVILIZATION LINK -->
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_MATHURIN_ROMEGAS" Text="Mathurin Romegas" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_GEORGE_OF_ANTIOCH" Text="George of Antioch" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_KANHOJI_ANGRE" Text="Kanhoji Angre" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_KEUMALAHAYATI" Text="Keumalahayati" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_GUSTAV_HORN" Text="Gustav Horn" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_XU_FU_LRS" Text="Xu Fu" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WANG_DAYUAN" Text="Wang Dayuan" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_HONG_BAO" Text="Hong Bao" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NGO_QUYEN" Text="Ngo Quyen" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_EDWARD_PREBLE" Text="Edward Preble" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_TRAN_HUNG_DAO" Text="Tran Hung Dao" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JAMES_BOND_STOCKDALE" Text="James Bond Stockdale" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_HUANG_CO_MINH" Text="Huang Co Minh" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_LAM_NGUON_TANH" Text="Lam Nguon Tanh" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_MIGUEL_GRAU_SEMINARIO" Text="Miguel Grau Seminario" />
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_GRAINNE_NI_MHAILLE" Text="Grainne Ni Mhaille" />

<!-- UPDATE CHANGES TO EXISTING FIRAXIS-SUPPLIED NAMES -->
		<!-- America -->
		<Update>
			<Set Text="Chester Nimitz"/>
			<Where Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_CHESTER_NIMITZ"/>
		</Update>
		<!-- Spain -->
		<Update>
			<Set Text="Ruggiero di Lauria"/>
			<Where Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ROGER_OF_LAURIA"/>
		</Update>
		<Update>
			<Set Text="Juan de Austria"/>
			<Where Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_DON_JOHN_OF_AUSTRIA"/>
		</Update>

<!--	<Update>
			<Set Text="XXX"/>
			<Where Tag="TXT_KEY_XXXX"/>
		</Update>	-->

</Language_en_US>
</GameData>

This is from my UnitNames_GAdmirals.xml. I know it is not the NKM_ because I tried to take that away and that did not seem to be the issue, nothing changed. There must be some other reason why the in game text is not showing up. It shows up as TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_DOORMAN, for example.

Spoiler :
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Created by ModBuddy on 6/26/2014 9:16:48 PM -->

<GameData>
	<Unit_UniqueNames>

<!-- INSERT MY DELETE COMMAND HERE -->
		<Delete>
			<UnitType>UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL</UnitType>
		</Delete>

<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_GHORMLEY" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_LEARY" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_SPRUANCE" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_FLETCHER" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_TURNER" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_HALSEY_NKM" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_KING" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_KINKAID" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_SPRAGUE" />

<!-- CIVILIZATION_CHINA -->
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_CHINA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_ZHENG_HE" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_CHINA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_SHI_LANG" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_CHINA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_GAN_NING" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_CHINA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_ZHOU_YU" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_CHINA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_HUANG_GAI" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_CHINA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_CHING_SHIH" />

<!-- CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND -->
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_MOUNTBATTEN" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_FRASER" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_VIAN" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_RAWLINGS" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_CUNNINGHAM" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_SOMERVILLE" />

<!-- CIVILIZATION_JAPAN -->
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_JAPAN" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_YAMAMOTO" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_JAPAN" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_NAGUMO" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_JAPAN" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_OZAWA" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_JAPAN" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_NAGANO" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_JAPAN" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_HIROYASU" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_JAPAN" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_KOGA" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_JAPAN" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_TOYODA" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_JAPAN" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_FUSHIMI" />

<!-- CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS -->
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_HELFICH" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_STAVEREN" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_DOORMAN" />

<!-- CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA -->
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_KUZNETSOV" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_ISAKOV" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_FRINOVSKY" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_ORLOV" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NKM_GALLER" />

<!-- UNASSIGNED -->
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ANREA_DORIA" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_MATHURIN_ROMEGAS" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_GEORGE_OF_ANTIOCH" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_KANHOJI_ANGRE" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_KEUMALAHAYATI" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_GUSTAV_HORN" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_XU_FU_LRS" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WANG_DAYUAN" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_HONG_BAO" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NGO_QUYEN" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_EDWARD_PREBLE" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_TRAN_HUNG_DAO" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JAMES_BOND_STOCKDALE" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_HUANG_CO_MINH" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_LAM_NGUON_TANH" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_MIGUEL_GRAU_SEMINARIO" />
		<Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_ADMIRAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_GRAINNE_NI_MHAILLE" />

</Unit_UniqueNames>
</GameData>

Here is the mod I created. Solution file and modinfo file.

Attachments

• WW2 Commanders.zip
    529 bytes · Views: 171
  • WW2 Commanders (v 1).zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 197
Game is dumping the <Language_en_US> table because of repeat tags. Since it's such a pain for you to delete all the tags my mod adds to the <Language_en_US>, they are all still there. So when at the bottom of your file you have, as example
Code:
that's a repeat from what my mod put in just before your's ran. Repeat = complete file discard. Get rid of (or alter by adding "_NKM_") all the generic non-assigned names towards the bottom of the file.

Game is dumping the <Language_en_US> table because of repeat tags. Since it's such a pain for you to delete all the tags my mod adds to the <Language_en_US>, they are all still there. So when at the bottom of your file you have, as example
Code:
that's a repeat from what my mod put in just before your's ran. Repeat = complete file discard. Get rid of (or alter by adding "_NKM_") all the generic non-assigned names towards the bottom of the file.

Everything works great now. Thank you.

Just a note to users that I plan on making an update to the mod sometime tomorrow (17Aug14). I will be uploading the new version to steam and to the civfanatics download page.

Please finish any games in progress before updating either via Steam or the forum download page.

Seems I am having a bit of trouble here. I cannot download my scenario with your mod activated. It could be because I have some great generals on my map that are pre named. Napoleon, Blucher and so on. I am going to delete those and try again. Now the game is not crashing it just forever loads. Really strange!

Seems I am having a bit of trouble here. I cannot download my scenario with your mod activated. It could be because I have some great generals on my map that are pre named. Napoleon, Blucher and so on. I am going to delete those and try again. Now the game is not crashing it just forever loads. Really strange!
Not sure what would be causing that unless it is related to the serial event for unit creation. The scenario loading with pre-placed units might be considered by the game as the same thing as a unit being created, and my mod might be attempting to fire when it hasn't had a chance to initialize itself yet for a new game. I would be interested to see what is being thrown into the lua log and the database log related to my mod, if anything.

Not sure what would be causing that unless it is related to the serial event for unit creation. The scenario loading with pre-placed units might be considered by the game as the same thing as a unit being created, and my mod might be attempting to fire when it hasn't had a chance to initialize itself yet for a new game. I would be interested to see what is being thrown into the lua log and the database log related to my mod, if anything.

I am not sure what the log said, but when I deleted my pre placed generals everything was fine. The interesting thing is that version 1 of your mod allowed pre placed great generals. For instance, I had Napoleon on the map and your mod changed the name to Joachim Murat at the outset of the game.

I am not sure what the log said, but when I deleted my pre placed generals everything was fine. The interesting thing is that version 1 of your mod allowed pre placed great generals. For instance, I had Napoleon on the map and your mod changed the name to Joachim Murat at the outset of the game.
What you are telling me is that the game is treating the pre-placements of the Great Generals as "UnitCreatedEvents". Probably the same is true for all other pre-placed units, but since my mod is only concerned with admirals and generals, all other units have no effect on the way my mod works.

There was a pretty major overhaul between version 1 and version 2 to avoid some potential issues with naming conventions, and the storage of names with special characters.

V1
Does everything based on the name as seen in-game by the player
  1. When a general (or admiral) is created, the mod gets the in-game name as it is seen by the player.
  2. Then it determines whether the name is correct or not for the civ, and does replacing as required.

So when using Version 1 it will see Napoleon, and if Napoleon hasn't been registered in the XML as belonging to France, it will replace him with a name that is good for France, no hu-hu, no muss.

V2
Does everything based on TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_SOMEBODY
  1. when the mod 1st initialies at the start of a new game it compiles a list of all valid general and admiral TXT_KEY names found in the XML/SQL database.
  2. When a general (or admiral) is created, the mod gets the in-game name as it is seen by the player, and then compares to the giant compiled database of TXT_KEY names to determine which of those TXT_KEY names is the correct one for the in-game name as seen by the player.
  3. Then it determines whether the name is correct or not for the civ, and does replacing as required.

So when using Version 2 it will see Napoleon, and if Napoleon hasn't been registered in the XML with both a TXT_KEY name and as belonging to France, it will try to replace him with a name that is good for France, but I think it is getting stuck on step #2 since I didn't think to add-in anything for when the pre-assigned in-game name has no matching TXT_KEY_ identifier within the <Unit_UniqueNames> table.

Top Bottom