Future Worlds

bouncymischa

Synthetic Genie

So, I guess it's time to release my near-future mod, Future Worlds! I've been working on it off and on over the past couple of years, originally inspired by ArbogLi's Beyond the Future mod, as well as older games and mods like Next War and Call to Power. The current version (v 6) expands a lot upon the original version that I released, adding in more units, buildings, technologies, and wonders. Most of the tooltips and civilopedia entries should be complete, but if there are any missing please let me know!

31 new technologies
1 new strategic resource, Nanomaterials (please read note below)
11 new improvements
31 new units
52 new buildings
2 new UN resolutions
24 new Wonders

Credits:
ArbogLi for several icons
TPangolin for several unit flag icons
Pouakai, Sukritact, and Janboruta for the Shanghai World Financial Centre and Tokyo Sky Tree wonders
Rorschach for his Mega Buildings Reduced
Ekmek for the Drone UAV unit
TIHON for the T800 model
Deliverator for the EE2 Future Units Kit, which gave me models for several units converted from Empire Earth 2
Premier Valle for the Crysis VTOL model
Civitar for the Mutant model
Phaedris for the model used to make the Nanohives
Kramer and Wolfdog for the Special Forces unit
Wolfdog for the Airborne Forces model
Zerver for the Battlesuit model
Vicevirtuoso for the Automaton model
Deliverator for the dinosaurs
Skajaquada for the Bio-Titan model
Nomad or What for the conversion of Deliverator's Scorpion model
labriejp for the Missile Destroyer
Danrell for the Supercarrier
The Eco-Commune, Support Node, Arcology, Biotrooper, Chimera, Crawler, and Hovertank models were converted from Beyond Earth

Last edited:
I'm pretty hype for this mod. I'll have to give it a shot for my next game! Thanks for releasing!

Looks great, will give this definitely a try! I liked ArbogLi's Beyond The Future Mod a lot, thought it just needed some new models to go along with it, and it had been superb. This is a very nice surprise indeed :)

The forum is not letting me post.
EDIT:

Cool mod. Are you going for simulationism or gameplay?

There are nonlinking TXT_KEYs at Cloning and Globalization. Missing Pedia entries are especially confusing at Robotics, which claims to involve the SS_Cockpit.

Moving Rocketry and Computers is great. Why would it be otherwise? Plastics beeline is still a center of mass, so, I am all for the realism. I am upset by Cloning and expect it to be a later grouping. It's cloning! You're making mutants! They're showing up with Satellites? Weird. Even if you push to Genetic Engineering, something aesthetically makes me expect Cloning to be one X-grouping over, like the Compass earlier in the tree. Certainly not the cheapest of your new techs at 7700.

Other comments, I'd like to hear what your design goals are before stating what may be irrelevant.

Is this mod compatible with the Gaia mod pack? I downloaded that a few days ago, and am strongly considering using this one as well.

Which one is the Gaia mod pack? It should be compatible, as my mod doesn't modify much of the game files, but it does shift the tech tree around so there could be conflicts if the Gaia mod pack does the same.

Cool mod. Are you going for simulationism or gameplay?

Oh dear... that's an interesting question. X3 I'd probably have to say simulationism, as I do enjoy sci-fi worldbuilding? But the mod as it stands isn't really deep enough to do much of that. I'm currently working on expanding the tech tree further, which is giving me more opportunity to try and detail how (in my mind, at least) things develop. However, I do also like it when mods add a bit to gameplay, so I'm trying to find ways to incorporate some gameplay aspects. I haven't had enough chances to actually test the mod, though, so balance is something I could use feedback on.

There are nonlinking TXT_KEYs at Cloning and Globalization. Missing Pedia entries are especially confusing at Robotics, which claims to involve the SS_Cockpit.

I knew the Civilopedia would still be a mess, especially when it comes to the core game stuff that I moved around or changed. It's hard to track down all the civilopedia entries in the core files...

Any notes on missing civilopedia entries are greatly appreciated. :3

Moving Rocketry and Computers is great. Why would it be otherwise? Plastics beeline is still a center of mass, so, I am all for the realism. I am upset by Cloning and expect it to be a later grouping. It's cloning! You're making mutants! They're showing up with Satellites? Weird. Even if you push to Genetic Engineering, something aesthetically makes me expect Cloning to be one X-grouping over, like the Compass earlier in the tree. Certainly not the cheapest of your new techs at 7700.

Other comments, I'd like to hear what your design goals are before stating what may be irrelevant.

It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to rearrange those techs, but I'm fairly happy with how it worked out. It did cause an issue where I could get Modern Armor before Tanks. I believe I updated Modern Armor to shift it to Rocketry, but now that I think about it I'm not sure if that ended up in the version I posted? Hrm.

As for Cloning, the tech was more a reflection of the big interest in cloning in the 1990's with Dolly the sheep, which is why the Cloning Vats buffs Cattle, Sheep, and Horses. The Mutant was something I threw in a while back when I was getting frustrated at the lack of new models for my units, and so I used Civitar's Zombie for it. (Speaking of which, I need to give him credit for that...) But given the original Resident Evil games showed up in the mid 1990s too, it didn't seem that big of a stretch to imagine mutants resulting from genetic experimentation at the time. :p

Of course, the mid-1990s don't really fit that column of the tree -- with things like the rise of Modern Armor and Telecommunications, it feels more 1970s to 1980s, with the next column over being the 1990s, with the rise of Globalization and the Internet. However, I wanted a tech that would come from Ecology to create a "biotech" sort of line along the top row, and with the way Civ 5 connects techs a tech in the next column over would have to connect to Telecom, which seemed really weird. So... I needed a biotech tech that could fit in that spot, and Cloning at least gave some practical ideas (in the form of buffing certain resources) that made a certain amount of sense. Still, I think I may modify it to be Molecular Genetics, reflecting the discovery of the structure of DNA in the 1950s, through to the development of DNA sequencing and the polymerase chain reaction in the 1970s and 1980s. Cloning can then get moved a column over and reflect the cloning of animals, but not humans -- human genetic engineering will appear more in later techs, as I'm expanding the biotech tree along the top.

Regarding what my design goals are, it's kind of hard to say. As I mentioned, the mod's actually been under development for a couple of years now -- it originally started when I saw ArbogLi's Beyond the Future, and since I've always liked near-future settings and felt disappointed Civ 5 stopped in the modern day, wanted to create my own take on it. Beyond the Future made a very large tech tree that extended pretty far, so for my first attempt I went with something smaller and less ambitious. Future Worlds, as it currently is, only really covers the very near future, perhaps up to 2050 or so, which at least suits the current tech tree for the game (since the game ends automatically in 2050). As I mentioned before, it's probably a bit more simulation than gameplay, although I'm trying to incorporate some gameplay elements. I did consider trying to add in some form of social engineering through the Memetics tech, but I'm not familiar enough with working with the user interface at this point to feel confident to do that. I'd still like to add in some kind of a "satellites" element, where you can build a satellite National Wonder and launch it, giving you an empire-wide bonus.

As such, the mod was kind of an ad-hoc development that just grew organically as I worked on it. I have a rough idea for how I wanted the tech tree to look -- the top part is mostly focused on growth and culture, with an eye towards being aimed at people who wanted to build up their empire, culiminating in the new hyperstructures. The bottom part of the tree was more focused on industrial development, as well as rounding out the armor tree to make the transition to GDRs more sensible. The middle was more "cybernetic", focused on the development of information technologies, concluding in artificial intelligence and robot armies.

As I'm looking at expanding the tree, the three "branches" are developing somewhat like Beyond Earth's Affinities, so I'm playing around with developing a bit more of a unique playstyle to each. In the top branch, I'm hoping to develop the "biotech" concept more, following up on the Mutant to create new lines of genetic supersoldiers and chimeras for warfare. I'm struggling a bit with the bottom branch, which is the most Purity-like, as I envision them creating massive hyperstructures to live in, building up an industrial base through orbital development, so it retains some of the original "industrial" focus while gaining more of the "giant buildings" tech... but filling the tech tree in effectively is giving me problems. The middle will remain the most cybernetic and perhaps the most transhumanist. I'm still trying to figure out how to spread my existing ideas through the new tree, and what new concepts I'd like to add. On the other hand, I imagine this makes it difficult to give feedback, but if you've got ideas you'd like to share I'm certainly interested in hearing them.

Anyways, sorry for rambling so much -- as you can probably guess, this isn't the most organized mod, although I do have pages upon pages of notes I've been making to try and plan tech trees and such. I suppose it's just a product of my somewhat organic planning process.

This is the GAIA pack

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23798

It modifies the sciences and era things as well. Thats why I figured I would ask, as the GAIA does not work with Future Tech expansion mod pack that I installed awhile back. Was going to check to see if it worked with yours.

Regardless, I've installed your modpack. It just depends to me if I have to work with one modpack, or if i can run both together ^^

Side note: would you consider moving the new future techs to a new era?

Anyways, sorry for rambling so much -- as you can probably guess, this isn't the most organized mod, although I do have pages upon pages of notes I've been making to try and plan tech trees and such. I suppose it's just a product of my somewhat organic planning process.
:O

Not at all. Organic planning sounds fascinating. I don't have a word for my planning process, but the people who know me best would describe me as anything other than organic.

It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to rearrange those techs, but I'm fairly happy with how it worked out. It did cause an issue where I could get Modern Armor before Tanks. I believe I updated Modern Armor to shift it to Rocketry, but now that I think about it I'm not sure if that ended up in the version I posted? Hrm.
I'm intrigued you would mention that. The changes you introduced seem to beckon a backpropagating correction just as far as Railroad: To make Combined Arms not required in there for Rocketry at all, indeed to find someplace better for Combined Arms and Mobile Tactics, which are as much social innovations as technical ones (which, I could say, makes them more like the earliest era techs). Or to rename them (and then reslot them) when concepted as simply the development of the hardware and engineering to produce Modern Armor, APCs, and Anti-Tank guns.
"Combined Arms" is mysterious in that era and is a notion begun with Military Science. It only appears to represent the heavy inquiry into armoured warfare and mobile warfare that came about because of the contingent thing called the Great Wars.

Replaceable Parts especially is a socioeconomic revolution, but that's a larger scale mod.

A review of techs in modern era would reveal that some technologies are a stand-in for working at a refinement of an earlier tech, but the intervening 'breakthrough' isn't conceptually necessary in Civ IV's terms; it's just we need something to eat up some beakers. That's all well and good, but the problem is magnified for certain techs, like just mentioned, where now the line between actual research and mere "infrastructural investment" is blurred. This is Civ V, research isn't on a slider anymore (a mistake, but still, it has consequences). What Civ V can do is separate military R&D from public research, pulling you away from the other .... but this still fails to develop in the appropriate pacing with the engineering side of research.
Fixes that I like involve wholly new design technology, something I've refined from Civ:BE, CIV, CiV, and C-Evo.

A quick fix, actually, would be to make late era units depend on certain buildings. The Archaeologist does it. And those buildings have prohibitive maintenance costs.

All this just to get Mobile Tactics off the tech tree. Oh, and maybe Pentagon can creep backwards one era and actually get built before every unit you own is final tier. <.<

Still, I think I may modify it to be Molecular Genetics, reflecting the discovery of the structure of DNA in the 1950s, through to the development of DNA sequencing and the polymerase chain reaction in the 1970s and 1980s. Cloning can then get moved a column over and reflect the cloning of animals, but not humans -- human genetic engineering will appear more in later techs, as I'm expanding the biotech tree along the top.
But you'll be nerfing your biotech tree. Another tech is another 8 turns research to move through it. You really want a reference to Cloning, I can see that. This may be tough.

[...]
On the other hand, I imagine this makes it difficult to give feedback, but if you've got ideas you'd like to share I'm certainly interested in hearing them.
Oh I do. I also have a habit of overwhelming the dialogue for things I'm really interested in. Between the two of us, I'm the one who needs to listen twice, speak once.

Here's something I've done for game design: Model the world one level below the one you'll actually present. I figure this makes design validity like measurement precision: the "significant digits" in your game will have a valid measurement proofing them.
When people are playing games in ARPG, RTS, or 4X genres, there's a trope of response which is "The system is being stupid and I can't stop it." You are unable to execute a strategy which you know is relevant to the world presented, but the game does not present an interface of that kind - or just straight up automates something stupid. Avoid this! Think out the interactions and then abstract, but only in holistic pieces that change the playing field equally. Thinking with abstractions in the first place, I think, is only liable to mess things up, and clearly for good reason - it's laziness!

So, about names:
Cybernetics is not the right name for Cybernetics. And conceptually, Nanotechnology requires the exploitation of nanomanufacture and Computer Networks, so here's an idea for you:

Memetics is quite bold in its current position. Every tech represents the mastery of its field - mastery of the principles - but memetics is just a phenomenon we've become aware of. Assuming you did have a Memetics mastery technology, indeed it should be necessary for Arcologies, but you can stretch your bioline in there.
Your technology of Cybernetics seems to correspond to drone warfare. "Autonomous Systems"? A researcher Vijay Kumar pioneered methodologies in quadrotor technology that validates your linkage with nanomaterials to this advance.

So Globalization+Internet -> (some military technology for deep net surveillance) -> true Memetics .

Nanomaterials leads to two independent techs, your current Nanotechnology which I don't know why it's named that, and "Autonomous Systems", which inherits the contents of your Cybernetics tech.
The concept of Nanocomputing, Nanorobots, or Nanites, lies at the apex of Computer Networks and Nanomaterials, of course. The really named Cybernetics is a new tech which has prerequisites Memetics and Computer Networks. For gameplay and simulationist reasons, I would then recommend sharing the goods of Computer Networks and Cybernetics, since nothing before Networks represents serious study of systems themselves.

The posterior techs get Arcologies from Genetic Engineering and Memetics as before. Artificial Intelligence arises from "Cybernetics" and "Nanocomputing", and I'd still like for "Real A.I." to get in there on a different branch, the question is naming it. 'Secrets of the Human Brain' too long. You know Anthropology isn't even on the tree, I guess the discipline starts around Archaeology-Ecology but oh hey, you could put it as after Globalization and make it "Memetics-lite" .

Hyperstructures I don't know; Mecha are now Autonomous Systems + Fusion. Autonomous Systems can explode into your industrial exploitation branch, Memetics and A.I. can bifurcate into hard computing and hardening the soft sciences.

If you are really hobbled by the diagrammatic restrictions of the tree, notice that a resource requirement can impose an effective prerequisite. Atomic Theory, though possible without Chemistry, can't employ Uranium until Chemistry, Dynamite, Ballistics, and Radar and Fission are researched. Your Nanomaterials can become a requisite for any tech you want to put on the bottom where an arrow can't go.

General notions:
Magnets? (If you're ever stuck on anything anywhere, ask "magnets?")
Spacetime Theory (Call it Field Theory, maybe? There are deep necessities to Field Theory, but a universe without Special Relativity might be metaphysically possible). Put it down there with Stealth. Actually magnets should go somewhere with Superconductors and Nanomaterials too.

The key to keeping the tech tree growing is to make sure some tech has a uniform advance (i.e. some tech has a singular prerequisite). Imagining such technology requires almost as much creativity as the real thing, but, that's where you can stir up real nonsense (i.e. fun).

About arrows: Horseback Riding - Civil Service ; Writing - Philosophy ; Theology - Compass. The tree can take larger distances. You said certain arrangements don't work?

Now I've put enough time on this, I had a brilliant idea I have to work on! :crazyeye:

Not at all. Organic planning sounds fascinating. I don't have a word for my planning process, but the people who know me best would describe me as anything other than organic.

I'm not entirely sure if it's even the right term for my approach. Sometimes I'm a bit scatterbrained, and just flit from one idea to another -- other times, I try to be more methodical. I'm still working at expanding the tech tree: here's a somewhat more current version, although I've made some further edits since I took this screen shot:

Spoiler :

I've currently been working at how I want to populate the tree with units and buildings...

Here's something I've done for game design: Model the world one level below the one you'll actually present. I figure this makes design validity like measurement precision: the "significant digits" in your game will have a valid measurement proofing them.
When people are playing games in ARPG, RTS, or 4X genres, there's a trope of response which is "The system is being stupid and I can't stop it." You are unable to execute a strategy which you know is relevant to the world presented, but the game does not present an interface of that kind - or just straight up automates something stupid. Avoid this! Think out the interactions and then abstract, but only in holistic pieces that change the playing field equally. Thinking with abstractions in the first place, I think, is only liable to mess things up, and clearly for good reason - it's laziness!

I'm having a bit of difficulty parsing this, but I think I get some of your point. As I've been redeveloping my tree, I've been trying to give more thought to "what do I envision the world at certain points being like?", which leads to "what generalized technologies might reflect that", and trying to consider what the various relationships between "technologies" is like. It's a bit difficult, since there are limitations on what I can do and still keep the tree understandable, and I suspect as a consequence what a "technology" actually is is a bit blurred. In my mind, at least, a "technology" may reflect a set of technologies, or the increasing prominence of a certain tech.

So, about names:
Cybernetics is not the right name for Cybernetics. And conceptually, Nanotechnology requires the exploitation of nanomanufacture and Computer Networks, so here's an idea for you:

Memetics is quite bold in its current position. Every tech represents the mastery of its field - mastery of the principles - but memetics is just a phenomenon we've become aware of. Assuming you did have a Memetics mastery technology, indeed it should be necessary for Arcologies, but you can stretch your bioline in there.
Your technology of Cybernetics seems to correspond to drone warfare. "Autonomous Systems"? A researcher Vijay Kumar pioneered methodologies in quadrotor technology that validates your linkage with nanomaterials to this advance.

So Globalization+Internet -> (some military technology for deep net surveillance) -> true Memetics .

Nanomaterials leads to two independent techs, your current Nanotechnology which I don't know why it's named that, and "Autonomous Systems", which inherits the contents of your Cybernetics tech.
The concept of Nanocomputing, Nanorobots, or Nanites, lies at the apex of Computer Networks and Nanomaterials, of course. The really named Cybernetics is a new tech which has prerequisites Memetics and Computer Networks. For gameplay and simulationist reasons, I would then recommend sharing the goods of Computer Networks and Cybernetics, since nothing before Networks represents serious study of systems themselves.

The posterior techs get Arcologies from Genetic Engineering and Memetics as before. Artificial Intelligence arises from "Cybernetics" and "Nanocomputing", and I'd still like for "Real A.I." to get in there on a different branch, the question is naming it. 'Secrets of the Human Brain' too long. You know Anthropology isn't even on the tree, I guess the discipline starts around Archaeology-Ecology but oh hey, you could put it as after Globalization and make it "Memetics-lite" .

Hyperstructures I don't know; Mecha are now Autonomous Systems + Fusion. Autonomous Systems can explode into your industrial exploitation branch, Memetics and A.I. can bifurcate into hard computing and hardening the soft sciences.

Cybernetics is a weird one, because while the common interpretation of cybernetics is "man-machine interfaces" and cyborgs with artificial body parts, as a field of study it refers more to accomplishing efficiencies in almost any sort of system? So right now I'm leaning more towards the more colloquial interpretation, which is why it's moved later in the tree in my expanded version.

As you say, memetics is another weird one. The term was originally coined in the 1970s, although the field didn't really arise until the 1990s. It's become more popularized by the increasing ubiquity of the internet, however. In some ways, it was an in-joke, referring to how "memes" came from the internet (although the concept existed earlier), and I liked it as a bridge with Globalization to express new systems of cultural diffusion. It also references the study of mental functions and epistemology, which I like having for more transhuman technologies further down the tree -- things like neural direct interfaces would benefit from an improved understanding of the human brain and mind. I'm not sure if Memetics is the best term, but at the moment it provides a useful sort of catch-all to straddle various concepts at that point in the tree, bridging cultural diffusion and understanding how the mind works.

Autonomous Systems is an interesting suggestion -- it may be a very good tech to insert earlier in the tree to help bridge the gap towards full AI. I've been looking at some ideas as to how increasingly autonomous systems could help manufacturing and industry.

Admittedly, this is a bit problematic because as I've been pushing ahead with and detailing the revised tree, it's changed some of the paradigms a bit. I do somewhat wonder if I shouldn't just shift such discussion about revisions to a separate thread, or just keep working on it here? @__@

Side note: would you consider moving the new future techs to a new era?

I'll have to take a look at how I'd have to code it -- I think some mods (like Gilgamesch's?) have additional eras, but I'm not sure how friendly BNW is with it. It may require modifying the research tree UI lua, which would make it incompatible with other mods that do the same.

Just to put my input in this convo, I am loving how the new tree is looking from that screen.

lol

Thanks! I've been having a lot of fun the past couple of days making new building icons for it... X3

Thanks! I've been having a lot of fun the past couple of days making new building icons for it... X3

You're welcome man. I've been testing out your mod the past two days. I like it a lot but I am still getting that problem with the TXT_KEY etc... That is the only problem that I am currently having. I am not sure if its a conflict of mods or whatever, but I figured I would let you know about it.

So I figure I'll give some actual feedback now instead of one or two line responses.

Other then that, I am actually really enjoying the new stuff granted, I haven't gotten to Information Era yet so I can't really test out any of the new units and sciences. However, it's a very nice mod to start working with.

If I may ask, what prompted the idea to create Mutants in Cloning? I'd imagine that Cloning would be a spawning Terracotta Army. (As in you could make Terracotta Army as an actual building not just a wonder.)

Other then that, I haven't gotten a chance to look at everything else as basically everything is stuck in that TXT_KEY etc...

I do like that you placed nanomaterials as it's own resource though. But wouldn't it be considered Dark Matter then?

If not, then my bad. I figure that Dark Matter could either be a new material or part of a new science some where down the line. That is just my thoughts on that though.

Another idea that just crossed my mind actually is currently in development in Germany, they are working on creating a cameo suit. Currently they are able to make 1/156th of an inch of gold become invisible. I figured that would be something you would be interested in as far as using for a science somewhere down the line.

Or for those that get the Great Firewall, have a difference of hacker types (Spy's but different from them) Running red hat, black hat and white hat. That way there is still a chance to steal any kind of technologies from someone's city that does have the Great Firewall wonder. Just a thought.

I'm done with my rambling on about ideas that are floating into my head right now. Sorry if any of these ideas were relatively idiotic or sound corny as hell.

Just thought about this one for a tech, Monopolization. In essence all it is, is its a rehash of guilds. However, it is industrialized. Meaning, if you look at Guilds it is for that particular era. When you get into Modern Era you don't have anything built upon gold anymore. As everything is built upon science and troops. But if you throw Monopolization into it, you gain more out of it. You have Culture in the modern era, arts, science, units. But not very much commerce if any at all.

Just a thought.

You're welcome man. I've been testing out your mod the past two days. I like it a lot but I am still getting that problem with the TXT_KEY etc... That is the only problem that I am currently having. I am not sure if its a conflict of mods or whatever, but I figured I would let you know about it.

Ahh, sorry about that -- do you have logging turned on? If so, could I get a copy of the database log? I'm guessing there's a text string conflict that's preventing the text in my mod from loading. (I'll have to try and make the string identifiers more unique...)

If I may ask, what prompted the idea to create Mutants in Cloning? I'd imagine that Cloning would be a spawning Terracotta Army. (As in you could make Terracotta Army as an actual building not just a wonder.)

Well, since Cloning wasn't so much about making an army of cloned humans as... cloning animals, I hadn't really thought about a Wonder with that effect. (Although it is an amusing idea XD). Still, it was in part because Genetic Manipulation was getting pretty full, and I felt Cloning needed more than just a single building. I suppose it also reflects early experimentation with genetic tweaking, although with strange results.

If/when I get a new infantry tree going for the biotech types, they'll probably be the starting unit.

I do like that you placed nanomaterials as it's own resource though. But wouldn't it be considered Dark Matter then?

If not, then my bad. I figure that Dark Matter could either be a new material or part of a new science some where down the line. That is just my thoughts on that though.

Nanomaterials aren't really related to dark matter at all -- from what little I know, dark matter is comprised of unusual particles (mostly WIMPs) that don't interact with normal matter except in limited circumstances. While there is some possibility that we could eventually generate or manipulate dark matter, it's a very far-future sci-fi concept. Nanomaterials, on the other hand, are materials like carbon nanotubes or buckyballs - new molecules that have been artificially constructed, typically out of carbon arranged into new structures. I've known people that were actually working in that field, so nanomaterials are a fairly contemporary concept, and I figured it was a good root for the "microscale engineering" tree, where humanity becomes increasingly proficient at manipulating materials on the molecular and atomic scale, until we eventually start making nanomachines that can act relatively intelligently and flexibly.

Another idea that just crossed my mind actually is currently in development in Germany, they are working on creating a cameo suit. Currently they are able to make 1/156th of an inch of gold become invisible. I figured that would be something you would be interested in as far as using for a science somewhere down the line.

Optical camouflage is an interesting concept, although I'm not sure how I'd integrate it into the tech tree. It's certainly possible with a promotion -- I'd considered adding it as a possible promotion for the biotech tree, as supersoldiers and chimeras could have a sort of chameleon skin.

Or for those that get the Great Firewall, have a difference of hacker types (Spy's but different from them) Running red hat, black hat and white hat. That way there is still a chance to steal any kind of technologies from someone's city that does have the Great Firewall wonder. Just a thought.

I'm not sure how much I can mess around with the espionage system, as it's not very flexible. With the later tech tree so expanded, it might be worth reducing the effect of the Great Firewall, at least (or moving it later), so that it doesn't shut down tech theft so relatively early...

I'm also not entirely sure how many additional systems I want to add on top of what exists at this point -- I'm still trying to get the foundation in place, as it is. I've had ideas for things like social engineering through memetics, or launching satellites for empire-wide effects. I'd probably want to tinker with those first before creating a hacking system, although given how cyberwarfare is becoming more prominent I might have to give it some thought...

I'm done with my rambling on about ideas that are floating into my head right now. Sorry if any of these ideas were relatively idiotic or sound corny as hell.

Just thought about this one for a tech, Monopolization. In essence all it is, is its a rehash of guilds. However, it is industrialized. Meaning, if you look at Guilds it is for that particular era. When you get into Modern Era you don't have anything built upon gold anymore. As everything is built upon science and troops. But if you throw Monopolization into it, you gain more out of it. You have Culture in the modern era, arts, science, units. But not very much commerce if any at all.

Just a thought.

It sounds kind of like the Corporations concept -- I know Envoy made a mod that translated the corporations from Civ IV over to Civ V. I've been playing with the basic version and it's been pretty fun, and I did in the past consider expanding the concept further through the modern and future eras, since "megacorporations" are a big part of cyberpunk fiction.

Still, while it's been easy for me to come up with food, production, and science producing buildings for my expanded tech tree, gold and culture production have been a bit more difficult. I might have to give some more thought in that direction, particularly since the "cybertech" buildings look to be rather demanding on maintenance upkeep, so they'll need various gold-producing buildings or enhanced replacements for the Trading Post...

Anyways, thanks for your feedback! Also, since you were pretty hyped from the last tease of the revised tech tree, here's the current version of it, with most of the buildings in place:

Spoiler :

Even with all the extra techs, I suspect I'm starting to load a lot of them up, so I might have to prune my ideas a bit. Always tough when you have more ideas than you have space for! ^^;;

Ahh, sorry about that -- do you have logging turned on? If so, could I get a copy of the database log? I'm guessing there's a text string conflict that's preventing the text in my mod from loading. (I'll have to try and make the string identifiers more unique...)

I'm not sure if I have logging on or not. I'll take a look next time that I am on the game. I'll see if I can find where logging would be. But I'll make sure to give it a good look over to find out where it is. (Sorry if I don't know where it is, lol I'm using a torrented version of the game with all DLC.)

I know how it is to have more ideas then you have space for. As for the nanomaterial - Dark Matter part, (Sorry for not quoting that.) I don't know too much about nanomaterials and Dark Matter besides that nanomaterial is more to deal with nano machines for medicinal purposes.

Optical Camo for a promotion was more along the times of something that i was thinking of. The only reason I don't make civs or any mod packs is personally, I suck at C++ coding. But Optical Camo for a promotion was something I was thinking of for those in information era and beyond. I just had a few ideas that I figured I would throw out there.

I figured if I am using the mod I'll throw my feedback out there, there aren't too many that I've thrown it out to yet besides you and a few others. But yea man, the mod works perfectly besides that one problem. When I log on I'll see if i can find the logging info you requested.

Hope to hear back soon

Hi...I can t find NANOMATERIALS on map...England has 47 this resources...I know that she builds Nano Plants....problem is why I play with Venice and must conquer cities...but not see on map where it reveals....please Help.....

Hi...I can t find NANOMATERIALS on map...England has 47 this resources...I know that she builds Nano Plants....problem is why I play with Venice and must conquer cities...but not see on map where it reveals....please Help.....

Nanomaterials doesn't appear on the map -- it's a completely artificial resource that can only be built by buildings. I'm not sure why the tech tree says "reveals Nanomaterials on the map", but I'm guessing it's because I have to define a technology which "reveals" Nanomaterials, even if it never actually appears on the map... <.<

Nanomaterials doesn't appear on the map -- it's a completely artificial resource that can only be built by buildings. I'm not sure why the tech tree says "reveals Nanomaterials on the map", but I'm guessing it's because I have to define a technology which "reveals" Nanomaterials, even if it neveeactually appears on the map... <.<

How can I set that Nanomaterials appears only on hills....but rare from Uranium...

I am assuming that you have to use nanomaterials as if they are a building. (I.E: Building Nanomaterials because they are artifical.)

I haven't dabbled into Nano yet, but I can guess that you have to build them. This is probably because everything that you find as far as resources is grown, or can be found on the world we live in. But Nanomaterials,
Nanomaterials doesn't appear on the map -- it's a completely artificial resource that can only be built by buildings.
is an artificial luxury. Just like Perfume and Beer and Cars luxuries (If you have the mods that give you those.) You have to build them in order to get them. This is what I have noticed though.

Top Bottom