Expansion Civilizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grimzag said:
I thought the multiple maps in Test of Time were cool. Sort of gave a second wind to expansionism after the early game, which was really neat. I wouldn't mind seeing it in Civ 4, but I'm afraid adding it in might overload my already overworked computer.

The only reason to own a computer is to play civ.

Why is no one suggesting Mexico? ;)

I vote for SDK file now!

1. Maya
2. Khmer
3. Viking (even though I feal that CivArmy has done justice through his creation)
4. Iroquois
5. Souix
6. Comanche
7. Zulu
8. Israel

arcady said:
My list:

• Iroqoi - a major player in North America until the American Civil War era
  • Koreans - the hermit kingdom, land of the morning calm, that has been the battleground between China and Japan for 2000 years.
  • Maya - once a great meseoamerican civilization with a greater library than that at Alexandria until the Spanish found it.
  • Zulu - the story of South Africa is wrapped in this nation's fall.
  • Ethiopians - the only African power to never fall to Europe, and the home of the oldest Christian church's in the world, supposedly founded by Jesus' apostiles
  • Celts - the original people of the 'British Isles', whos modern descendants still fill out many of the ethnic groups there
  • Tibetans - once a military empire, now a pacifist people conquered by an agressive neighbor
  • Aboriginee - the absolute oldest 'people' on Earth.
  • Polynesians - founded a sailing legacy across the largest ocean on Earth, with little tech at all
  • Lakota (aka Souix) - once the greatest warrior culture in North America, until they were finally defeated in 1890.
  • Isrealites - From Abraham to David, most in the Western world know their story.
  • Anasazi - the Navaho word for 'ancients' - the long lost civilization that built a network of highways and cities across the southwest until mysteriously disapearing.
  • Siam - today Thailand they were once a great power in Southeast Asia and could do well to fill in an 'Asia game'.
  • Navaho - by the time of USA getting to the west, the Navaho descendants of the Anasazi were and still are the city builders. The city of Santa Fe, the oldest European city in North America, is in their region.
  • Ashanti - one of the great West African empires from 1670 until conquered by Europeans in 1902.
  • Kongo - a great African empire into the 1500s.
  • Songhai - Mali's great rival, conquered in the 1300s, it rose again in the 1500s until Morocco conquered it a century later.
  • Moors - A north African kingdom that once viably threatened to conquer Europe.
  • Toltec - the people who used Cortez to finally end the multigenerational war they had been having with the Aztecs, who were actually invaders from the north. Modern natives from the region around Mexico City are usually actually Toltec and not Aztec, and the feathered Serpent is the Toltec 'messiah god'.

Most of the civs on your list are of puny importance, such as Tibetan or Toltec, (note that I said 'most', not all). Some don't even make sense, such as Polynesians, are they even a civ? or many civs? or just a diverse group of sailing barbarians? Some of the information you gave were not even correct. For example, Korea might have been the battlegroup between China and Japan for the past 300 years, but not 2000 years as you stated. Japan barely existed as a country 2000 years ago.

POLAND!!!

I fail to understand why Poland was not included in any previous civ games, and why it wasn’t included in any of the 2 CivIII expansions. Poland was one of the largest, richest, most scientifically advanced, and powerful kingdoms in Europe. Just because Poland’s economy and world strength and influence today aren’t as big as Frances or Germanys doesn’t mean that they weren’t once powerful. I guess the game designers didn’t do enough of their history homework.

Poland was united as a kingdom in 966, over a thousand years ago. They grew into a powerful, influential, and incredibly wealthy kingdom, founding one of Europe’s first universities almost 700 years ago, and forming a very disciplined, capable, and powerful military. They were allies of many other Christian kingdoms, and their society was one of acceptance - the king allowed Jews, Gypsies and many other minorities live peacefully and add to Poland’s prosperity, while almost all other European nations exiled them.

Poland faced persecution by the German Teutonic knights, who pillaged and exploited the country with the excuse that they were spreading Christianity, even though Poland was Christian. Poland forged an alliance with Lithuania, and defeated the Teutonic knights at the Battle of Grunwald, where over 250,000 knights fought.

After being broken up by the Mongol Horde, Poland and Lithuania reunified and formed the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, and from there, they expanded enormously. They had a “golden age” in the 16th century, and they won many battles and wars. They set up one of the first representative governments, where the powers of the king were handed over to the parliament that represented the nobility. At the height of the kingdom, they owned all the land that is today’s Lithuania, Latvia, Belarus, Poland, and most of Ukraine, and a large portion of western Russia (take a look at a map of Europe). To get an idea of the size, Smolensk, Kiev, L’viv, Minsk, Riga, Vilnius, were at one point Polish cities.

Poland went on to fight off the Swedish invasion, and then under King Sobieski they defeated the Ottoman Turks at Vienna after 250 years of Ottoman expansion. Because of that victory, the Christian forces were able to drive the Ottomans out of Europe for ever. In the 17th century, Russia’s power started to grow, and Poland-Lithuania’s power began to fade, and in the 18th century, after a lot of political manipulation and 3 partitions, Poland ceased to exist on the world map, divided between Austria, Prussia, and Russia in 1795. Poland’s culture, language, and personality remained with the people though, and under General Pilsudski, a Polish army was organized to fight in WW1. At the end of the war, after 123 of not existing, Poland became an independent nation in 1918, owning a large portion of its centuries old territory. Then came WW2, after which Poland was occupied by the soviets, until 1989 when the USSR collapsed, and Poland was a free independent democracy once more, with about 1/6th of its ancient territorial lands.

Some of the world’s most important people were Polish too. Nicolas Copernicus was a Polish astronomer from Torun, and he developed the theory that the earth orbits the sun. Marie Sklodowska Curie was a Polish researcher that moved to France, where she discovered radiation, and the elements Radium and Polonium. Frederick Chopin was Polish, he one of the greatest pianists in the world.

If you wanna tally that up, that’s 3 major invasions (not including countless smaller conflicts), 2 world wars, 123 years occupied by 3 different countries, and 44 years of communist occupation, and Poland’s still here! The language, culture, and personality of Poland has changed little over the last 1000 years, regardless what the world throws at them. That’s how resilient the people of Poland are.

So does any of that qualify Poland as a civilization?

The Indians are definatly the easy way to win this game.You only need 6-8 fast workers for any size civ.As opposed to 13-15 normal workers.Combined with the double time on the forge makes production even faster.I'd like to see the sumerians in this game if for nothing more than they were the first civ that we know of.

Also,why can't I force my galley's over one ocean square?Civ3 made it "at your own risk",which seems to me more independant than the rules I must follow now.In addition,WHERE IS MY ARMY???The game has become to difficult to be a warmonger.Some of us like to rule with an Iron Fist.For example,I'm in the modern age and I end up spending 700 years wiping out onother civ still in the ancient era.Sometimes my mechanized infantry gets defeated be pikeman!!Lame.

I'd like to see:

1. Scandinavia - Axemen with Amphiboius would be scary in the dark ages :)
2. Polynesian / Maori. UU would be galleys (waka) that should a good chance of surviving in Ocean squares.

catcall73 said:
For example,I'm in the modern age and I end up spending 700 years wiping out onother civ still in the ancient era.Sometimes my mechanized infantry gets defeated be pikeman!!Lame.

Random number genarator = :spear:

It wil have a chance of happening even if you have something like a modern armour fighting against 'em.

Dida said:
Most of the civs on your list are of puny importance, such as Tibetan or Toltec,

I disagree with you about Tibet, around the end of the 1st millenium they were definetly a superpower in Asia, controlling much of today's China down to Bangladesh.

Coming to think of it there should be some more asian Civs added, and those should imo be:
1. Ottomans/Turks
2. Khmer
3. Tibet
4. Siam/Ayuthaya
5. Korea
6. Israelites

Greek Stud said:
First Choices:
Ethiopia (Abyssinia): Queen Sheba and Makedda
Ashanti (Ghana)
Tibet: Dhali Llama
Ottomans: Mehmet II and Selim
Inuits (Aluet to Greenlandic)
Apache (Navajo and Pueblo): Geronimo
Scandinavians
Netherlands
Portugual

Second Choice:
Israel: Joshua and Solomon
Babylon
Sumeria
Hittites
Nubia
Kush
Siam
Khmer
Veitnam
Aboriginal Australians
Assyria
Armenia
Austria
Poland
Lithuania
Gokturks
Illyrians
Celts
Phoenicians

And new leaders:
Greek: Helen of Troy
Roman: Nero
No offence, but in the grand scheme of things, did some of the civs you listed even matter? (aboriginal Australians? Lithuania?)

General Bob said:
Are you from Kansas 5th congressional distict by any chance?

No, I took my name from the Monty Python/John Cleese character and not the congressman.

You know:
"Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore
He steals from the poor
and gives to the rich,
stupid <female canine>"

Over and over I see the same thing: "That civ wasn't big/powerful/wealthy/chrome-plated enough to warrant inclusion in an expansion pack." Isn't part of the fun of Civ trying new things, giving nations that in real life didn't make it a chance to achieve a kind of virtual greatness? Who doesn't get a kick out of an Inca-dominated planet, or Rome desperately staving off the forces of India? Incongruity can be FUN.

I say put in some interesting smaller nations along with plenty of "major" ones and, as the spam emails say, add significant spice to your living.

Poland? Pfft!

Poland was pretty much squashed by Genghis Khan, and, much later,
Hitler(Boo!Hiss!).

General Bob said:
No offence, but in the grand scheme of things, did some of the civs you listed even matter? (aboriginal Australians? Lithuania?)

Yup, they sure did! They not only had real influence, but they also dominated regional influence. Ask any Australian on this thread, and they can discuss the new educational program being intiated into the Australian schooling system on the Aboriginese, their civlization, their contact with the British, French and Dutch.

As for Lithuania, their influence even today extends into parts of Poland, all of Belarus and Russia itself. Their identity is unique to the region as they are not of Slavic decent. They have existed and held power as a Baltic nation before the Birth of Christ. And as to the exact events, you'll most likely either have to speak to a Lithuanian or cross-reference data, because both the West and Russia would rather not have Lithuania become a superpower because most superpowers want to be the only superpowers. I only bring this issue up because when you research a civilization and its history, sometimes corruption will either downplay their role or exclude them all together so as to give the impression as to say they were not important.

I am not offended by your comment, but if you were speaking to someone of that identity you may want to change the way you phrased your question.

balthamael said:
Poland? Pfft!

Poland was pretty much squashed by Genghis Khan, and, much later,
Hitler(Boo!Hiss!).

Just to let you know, Genghis Khan died in 1227, and the Mongols decided that they would attack Europe in the 1230s. They conquered Russia, Hungary, Poland, Austria, Germany, and everyone else in central and eastern europe, and were ready to attack western europe until the leader died. The Mongols conquered most of the known world (except for west Europe), not just Poland. So you could similarly say that Germany, Russia, Greece, Persia, China, India (must i go on) were squashed by the Mongols.

Hitler also invaded almost every country in Europe, not just Poland. He overran France relatively quickly, and managed to get real far in Africa and Russia. Considering that Poland didn't exist as a country for 123 years, appearing after WW1 for only 20 years until WW2, being attacked by the Red Army from the east, and with no help from other countries even before the war started (when it was obvious Germany was preparing its army for an invasion at the Polish border), you can't blame Poland for being overrun.

Poland's glory years came after the Mongol invasions, when they defeated the Teutonic Knights (one of the most powerful orders on earth, next to the Knights Templar) with Lithuanias help, and then unified with Lithuania and Ukraine. They were one of the most powerful kingdoms until their power started to decline in the 1700s. Like I wrote in my last post, take a map and look at how much territory they covered.

The slavic people inhabited those lands ever since people started appearing in Europe. Poland definately counts as a slavic civilization, and since eastern and central Europe are severely under-represented in Civ4 (only by Russia, as opposed to England, France, Germany, and Spain for western Europe), I think its the best candidate for the expansion.

(by the way, everything i write is fact. if you want, look it up in wikipedia or anywhere else thats credible on the net.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom