Brazil discussion thread

wow this thread went bonkers for a few pages

great to see Brazil in, more excited for them then for Assyria or Poland
i expect them to be very tourism focused: they will probably be a box art civ, along with an african civ, so they would be ideal to flog the tourism mechanic
UA: The suggestion that culture increases when happy seemed a good one
UB: I would imagine a Sambodrome or a SOCCER stadium
UU: Pele? Garrincha? Zico? Roberto Carlos?

Ikael, I think that your descriptions for UU and UI are overpowered, but I really liked the idea for carnival
UA: Carnival (yes, yes, I know, I know. But this is likely to be reflected: Cities celebrating "we love the King's day" grows at a +200% rate instead of +100%, and duplicate its tourism output.

Brazil having a different approach to the "we love the King's day" is a great concept.

blackcatatonic: That'd be India, I guess

Oh yes, how could I forget :crazyeye:

Still, they could have reversed it, although I guess they want to have green as the main colour.

In the screenshot the scheme looks like reverse Arabia to me (dark green on a lime/bright green background)

There are some Brazilian Great People that can be represented in BNW . Some of them:

- Heitor Villa Lobos: Simply described as "the single most significant creative figure in 20th-century Brazilian art music" . One of his most famous work that can be represented is O Trenzinho do Caipira;

- Duke of Caxias: He led the Brazilian army during most of its conflicts into 19th century,which include the Paraguayan War and some separatist movements;

- Tarsila do Amaral: The lack of female great persons is quite evident and it wouldn't hurt to put one of the most famous artists in Brazil's history . One work of her that is a must be:

What should be Brazil's capital? Brasília?

Looking at civs like Celts - Edinburgh - Firaxis likes to go with a town that has a current capital status, so that's a point for Brasília.
I don't know much about much about Brazil, but perhaps a town like Rio de Janeiro is better known than Brasília . São Paulo is the biggest town in Brazil, but perhaps a less attractive choice?

I still hope that Portugal is in also, by the way, I've got good memories of playing Portugal in Civ III. They make a great material explorational civ, and currently Polynesia almost has a monopoly there.

I think they'll model it more after the Empire of Brazil, rather than the modern version of it. My guess is they make Rio the capital.

I think the capital will be Rio de Janeiro, because it was the capital of Brazil during Pedro II reign.

The order of the cities could be something like:
Rio de Janeiro
Salvador (also a former capital)
Sao Paulo
Fortaleza
Belo Horizonte
Manaus
Porto Alegre
Brasilia
Curitiba
Florianopolis (my city o/)

Looking at civs like Celts - Edinburgh - Firaxis likes to go with a town that has a current capital status, so that's a point for Brasília.
I don't know much about much about Brazil, but perhaps a town like Rio de Janeiro is better known than Brasília . São Paulo is the biggest town in Brazil, but perhaps a less attractive choice?

I still hope that Portugal is in also, by the way, I've got good memories of playing Portugal in Civ III. They make a great material explorational civ, and currently Polynesia almost has a monopoly there.

Before Brasilia, Brazil had two capitals:

the first was Salvador
the second was Rio de Janeiro
and the current capital is Brasilia

I believe they will leave Rio de Janeiro as the capital.
Brasilia did not yet exist at the time of Dom Pedro II

Before Brasilia, Brazil had two capitals:

the first was Salvador
the second was Rio de Janeiro
and the current capital is Brasilia

I believe they will leave Rio de Janeiro as the capital.
Brasilia did not yet exist at the time of Dom Pedro II

Washington D.C. never existed in or boy George's time but that didn't stop them from having literally the most hated city in the country as our capital.

If other civilizations are any indication,then Brasilia will have to be the capital,if ever appears . Usually,when there's a civilization with a modern representative,then Firaxis choose the capital of the modern one .One example of that is China . Although Beijing did not exist during Wu Zetian's reign,this city was chosen as their capital . Another one is Russia,because during Catherine's reing,their capital was Saint Petersburg .

Beyond that,another important reason to place Brasilia over Rio de Janeiro as brazilian capital is because there are way too many people that still thinks Rio de Janeiro is the current capital of Brazil . Although Rio de Janeiro is the most famous brazilian city,it lost this seat 50 years ago .

Hated politically, but as a D.C. dweller it's one of my absolute favorite cities in the world. So much to do, so beautiful as well

I'm sorry if that sounded offensive. I thought the political part was implied. I love the architecture of D.C. and am taking a trip there in 17 days with my local High School Band to compete.

I bet the capital would be either Salvador (the first capital) or Rio de Janeiro (the second but more famous capital)

I think Brasilia Won't be the capital (but will appear as a city later in the game of course) because it is too recent. Brasilia was "founded" in 1960, so it's been the capital of Brasil for a little more than 50 years.

About the UU I think that the Bandeirantes would be a good choice. Maybe some kind of scout 2.0 that can attack? they were explorers after all.

Speaking of coffe I think it is possible to see them in game. Probably as a new luxury. (Coffe was a major part of the Brazilian economy during Pedro II's reign.)

Hated politically, but as a D.C. dweller it's one of my absolute favorite cities in the world. So much to do, so beautiful as well

Siding with you, I am proud of the beauty of our capital in many ways. I may be dissatisfied with the Congressional and Presidential progress we've we haven't seen, but that doesn't make me hate the city itself.

I think the Bandierantes should be musket men that can establish cities ala Conquistodors, but on the same continent.

I bet the capital would be either Salvador (the first capital) or Rio de Janeiro (the second but more famous capital)

I think Brasilia Won't be the capital (but will appear as a city later in the game of course) because it is too recent. Brasilia was "founded" in 1960, so it's been the capital of Brasil for a little more than 50 years.

About the UU I think that the Bandeirantes would be a good choice. Maybe some kind of scout 2.0 that can attack? they were explorers after all.

Speaking of coffe I think it is possible to see them in game. Probably as a new luxury. (Coffe was a major part of the Brazilian economy during Pedro II's reign.)

I agree with you on almost everything

But,i believe that will be the capital Rio de Janeiro

Really? You've never heard of World War 1 or 2? Brazil fought in both, as well as several other local wars (Including the War of the Triple Alliance, featured as the main component of a large Age of Empires 3 mod) and frequently contributes to UN peacekeeping missions. There hasn't been a single Civ to not have a UU yet, so I'd expect Brazil to still have one

Its participation in the world wars were fairly limited, but War of the Triple Alliance is in fact a good example. At least one that thoroughly debunks the idea that you can't have a UU because they didn't fight in wars.

Ethanol Plant would make a good UB for Brazil, I think...
Ethanol Plant - Turns each plot of Wheat or sugar worked by a city into 2 oil. Brazil is big on its Ethanol.

That's been my suggestion too, although I wouldn't make it resource dependent at all. I would just make it a building that produces oil to use (even if just one instead of two).

Brazilian UU for me is the Bandeirantes (i dont think they are too much portuguese as someone said)[/mod]

Where are you people from? (Brazilians). I guess the teaching of the Bandeirantes role in brazilian history varies pretty much from state to state (regional unities). I hear in São Paulo their history is explained with a good amount of "glory"... But here in Rio they are commonly treated as just mercenaries/explorers that massacred indigenous populations in search of gold and "luxuries" in colonial times. When the "exploration" time ended, they started selling themselves to the agricultural elite as slave hunters...
They were important as explorers, but not really a reason of national pride (in the sense that they're not-so-national and not a very good reason to be prideful about).

I certainly wouldn't like them representing Brazil, but that's a personal standpoint, really.

Top Bottom