Indonesia discussion

Awaiting seancolorado's grand arrival :D

Indeed, we should prepare a fanfare and a party! :lol:

I'm very glad with Indonesia, it seems I may even play them before Brazil...

Not impressed so far. Two unique luxuries is decent in the beginning but weak in the long term. I hope Indonesia has a unique building/improvement to make up for it.

I like the unique luxuries. A built-in monopoly sounds fun to me. It definitely has me more interested than I was. Plus Gajah looks like a badass with his magic rib-tickler.

It's 4 free luxuries (2 * 2) which is decent. I wonder why they make you settle on another continent though. It's a similar bonus to the Dutch and Arabs though... The Kris warrior is of course the stereotypical part of its bonusses. Surprised they didn't go for a female leader here. Will Maria really stay alone?

Gajah Mada whee~ :banana:

Everything is looking great~
But lack of embarkation bonus in their UA.., still make me uneasy.. :run:

while I do love the inclusion of Gajah Mada and Indonesian civ, I feel it very odd that the civ will be named "Indonesia" because that name is not used until 19th century during Dutch East Indies colonisation.

Why don't the just call it Majapahit empire or Java empire (altough this willl be inaccurate because Majapahit core territory is Eastern Java, Madura and Bali, but not including western Java which is the territory of Sunda kingdom)

Spoiler :

The pic doesn't show (but since the name shows up, I say Nancy Ward would be more likely, and kinda works with a tomahawk?) Way off topic though. So I shut up

Probably because Indonesia is a group of islands. This encourages them to be naval.

Sure, but in-game. What's the exact definition of continent in civ5. Do the lonely islands count? (Will Indonesia thus be stronger in the Continents/Pangea Plus maps?)

@bob_massingbird Indonesia has much bigger name recognition. Java maybe, but don't you think of coffee (or software) first there? ;)

Mada speaks in Javanese apparently.. (Thanks God)
Is someone able to translate it?? :confused:

It's 4 free luxuries (2 * 2) which is decent. I wonder why they make you settle on another continent though. It's a similar bonus to the Dutch and Arabs though... The Kris warrior is of course the stereotypical part of its bonusses. Surprised they didn't go for a female leader here. Will Maria really stay alone?

Maybe to simulate that Indonesian people live on the archipelago??

Sure, but in-game. What's the exact definition of continent in civ5. Do the lonely islands count? (Will Indonesia thus be stronger in the Continents/Pangea Plus maps?))

As far as I know, it means unconnected land tile. As in, you can't walk from one to the other without embarking. As far as I know.

while I do love the inclusion of Gajah Mada and Indonesian civ, I feel it very odd that the civ will be named "Indonesia" because that name is not used until 19th century during Dutch East Indies colonisation.

Why don't the just call it Majapahit empire or Java empire (altough this willl be inaccurate because Majapahit core territory is Eastern Java, Madura and Bali, but not including western Java which is the territory of Sunda kingdom)

So? The Byzantines didn't call themselves the Byzantines either. But "Byzantine" is in popular use today so that's what they used.

Kris. A curvy dagger which is the same as what Gajah Mada is holding.
It is a often a symbol of power and authority and holds great spiritual significance among Malay and Indonesian culture.

Yes, thats true, and krises are usually owned by royalties, not commoner. As special as they are, krises are made with extreme precision that a good kris must be able to stand balanced on its tip (imagine the effort to acomplished that with a hammer and anvil).
To many people that phenomenon of a standing sword is surely magical and thus creating many legends on the sword magical abilities.

Not impressed so far. Two unique luxuries is decent in the beginning but weak in the long term. I hope Indonesia has a unique building/improvement to make up for it.

Same here.

Morocco seems better and interesting.

It always bothered me the fact that most of the time the civs don't want to settle cities on another lands, even in Archipelago.

That's my concern with Indonesia as well. Polynesia, another civ which should excel on water maps rarely makes the most of their UA. Hopefully Indonesia will be better but I would not be surprised if the AI underperforms with them.

Top Bottom