Indonesia discussion

Well Indonesia seem's to be pretty useless with its UA. Then they also get a Unique Unit Swordsmen with 14 strength making them weak for domination since Firaxis isn't fixing Range>>>>>>>>>>>>>Melee issue currently.

That's what I thought about Sweden, which is now one of my favorite civs. :crazyeye:

We don't really have any hard data on Indonesia uniques yet, right? I just need to make sure all these posts deeming Indonesia's uniques to be useless and such are just drawing their conclusions off of hearsay without actually having seen anything definite.

We don't really have any hard data on Indonesia uniques yet, right? I just need to make sure all these posts deeming Indonesia's uniques to be useless and such are just drawing their conclusions off of hearsay without actually having seen anything definite.

There's been some sightings in screenshots and videos, but I don't remember off the top of my head where those were - I do remember one screenshot which explicitly had the Kris Swordsman.

My feelings about Indonesia are mixed. I can see it being fun in the hands of a human, but I seriously doubt it'll ever prosper on AI's hand, given what I've seen so far about AI settling and expansion skills. Maybe it's just me, anyways I'll try them for sure, right after a cultural Brazil game! Who knows I could get surprised like I have been with Sweden or Byzantium

My feelings about Indonesia are mixed. I can see it being fun in the hands of a human, but I seriously doubt it'll ever prosper on AI's hand, given what I've seen so far about AI settling and expansion skills. Maybe it's just me, anyways I'll try them for sure, right after a cultural Brazil game! Who knows I could get surprised like I have been with Sweden or Byzantium

It seems like the new engines are up and running (Culture, Archaeology, etc.), so I would assume that their duties the next two months will be (1)Marketing, (2)Getting everything to work seamlessly, (3)Bug fixes.

I'm sure in their own play throughs they'll see that Indonesia isn't functioning properly and fix it.

They actually learned their lesson after an abysmal launch in 2010 of Civ 5 (something EA needs to look at). I bet this comes out and works really well.

I like Gajah's gestures when he talks. At one point it looked like he did some kind of hip thrust.

Also, if the AI can't figure out how to use the Battering Ram effectively, I don't see it using Indonesia's UA as effectively as it could be.

If it's a swordie replacement, it should at least be a strong one.

Or, they could fix the sword issue and there would be no need to compensate by giving them an overly powerful UU :rolleyes:

Also disagree with the folk saying you will need to focus on naval power. For the first third of the game the only thing patrolling the seas are the random trireme. Assuming you can get the bonus for settling on any land off of the coast, you could potentially set-up some very powerful cities just by researching embark. Luxuries are the number one thing that allows you to expand in the early game and getting them for free, if the map allows, is huge.

I need more info on the exact numbers, but there does appear to be some synergy. If you can get a massive happiness boost in the early game, that will allow you to war-monger with Kris Warriors (I hope they keep unique promotions on upgrade). The only thing that kind of messes up the strategy is gardens being on the complete opposite side of swords, however getting help with religion as a war-monger is huge since you don't want to be investing too much into faith buildings early on.

Unfortunately I suspect they may fall into the Polynesia category where they are a gimmick on island maps, but in regular games they will be a lower tier Civ.

I like Gajah's gestures when he talks. At one point it looked like he did some kind of hip thrust.

Also, if the AI can't figure out how to use the Battering Ram effectively, I don't see it using Indonesia's UA as effectively as it could be.

Its happy and money. Two things the AI has excessive amounts of at King and above.

Unfortunately I suspect they may fall into the Polynesia category where they are a gimmick on island maps, but in regular games they will be a lower tier Civ.

Agreed. The only thing that will save them in AI hands is flavors. Human hands might be interesting....especially if that random promotion doesn't impact the two promo's from barbs....

Agreed. The only thing that will save them in AI hands is flavors. Human hands might be interesting....especially if that random promotion doesn't impact the two promo's from barbs....

They may give them a hyper expansive flavor like Polynesia's and we all know how terrifying that can be.

Overseas cities that pay for themselves happiness-wise as soon as they are founded (in addition to any other new luxuries you don't have nearby)? Yes please!

As people have mentioned, this makes Indonesia a de-facto trading civ.

And the swordsman is really neat. Especially if you can get the tier 3 or 4 promotions like healing 2 or march. Also, barb camps are still around at iron working, so you probably won't have to declare war to use their special promotion.

Overall I've got to say Indonesia is the most exciting Civ to me at this stage. While I suspect it could be underwhelming as an AI opponent, its done the most in terms of recalling my early Civ experiences.

I grew up with the game, so a lot of the Civs were exotic to me. Indonesia brings that back. Good call Firaxis.

I'm guessing their unique resources will be rice, cloves, and nutmeg.

Not bad guesses, but some of us in one of the other threads talked about if the 3-resource rumor is indeed true then: Nutmeg, cloves, mace.

They are all indigenous to Indonesia in the same area so I could see the designers opting for that kind of consistency

Also disagree with the folk saying you will need to focus on naval power. For the first third of the game the only thing patrolling the seas are the random trireme. Assuming you can get the bonus for settling on any land off of the coast, you could potentially set-up some very powerful cities just by researching embark. Luxuries are the number one thing that allows you to expand in the early game and getting them for free, if the map allows, is huge.

They need to focus on it later.

I need more info on the exact numbers, but there does appear to be some synergy. If you can get a massive happiness boost in the early game, that will allow you to war-monger with Kris Warriors (I hope they keep unique promotions on upgrade). The only thing that kind of messes up the strategy is gardens being on the complete opposite side of swords, however getting help with religion as a war-monger is huge since you don't want to be investing too much into faith buildings early on.

You need Optics for settlers to sail. You need Iron Working to build these Swordsmen. They are different trees and it would be very difficult to go war with Swordsmen after you research both as AI will have massive army of advanced units by this time.

And don't mention religion as synergy. Candi requires Theology. By the time you get it, Swordsmen will be obsolete.

UB: Candi
- Gives an additional faith bonus. Replaces Garden.

I hope that either the Candi provides A LOT of faith to make it worthwhile (since Gardens are a very corner-case building). Kind of like Floating Gardens (the Aztecs have a UB that requires city placement next to river/lake, but it is insanely strong).

Alternatively, maybe the river/lake restriction will be lifted so that you can build a Candi Garden anywhere. Similar to Austria's Coffee House which eliminates the non-hill restriction.

Also, Hanging Gardens may be rather ideal for Indonesia....

I hope that either the Candi provides A LOT of faith to make it worthwhile (since Gardens are a very corner-case building). Kind of like Floating Gardens (the Aztecs have a UB that requires city placement next to river/lake, but it is insanely strong).

Alternatively, maybe the river/lake restriction will be lifted so that you can build a Candi Garden anywhere. Similar to Austria's Coffee House which eliminates the non-hill restriction.

Also, Hanging Gardens may be rather ideal for Indonesia....

How much is a lot of faith for you?

Top Bottom