Adding new Units WITHOUT making a scenario

dodgy_007au

Chieftain
Hey Guys... new to this so please bare with me..
How do i add new units that are playble in all editions of Civ III, WITHOUT creating a bzillion scenarios and wasting hours re-adding them through Editor?

I have Civ III complete which includes Civ III, PTW and C3C, plus dozens of user created scenarios and maps....

Thanx :)

Same way you do it with a scenario, except in the main files. You also have to open the main civ editor file.

You absolutely have to use the editor. Have you checked the "How to add and use these new units" thread?

BTW, this forum is NOT for questions.

Just open up the editor for which Civ game (e.g. Civ vanilla or Civ Conquests) you want to update the unit list, in your case I'd figure you'd prefer it to be the Conquests editor.

Open up Infogrames--->Civilization III--->Conquests, at which point you'll see a scenario file named "conquests" (not capatalized). Open that up, and you'll be able to edit all the rules of your standard Civ:Conquest games, including the unit line-up.

I have Civ3 complete also. You want to use the Conquests editor and since that is the only editor that makes a shortcut in the start menu that makes things easier.

reading the question, I dont think its possible...

From what I read, you want to make 1 quick fix that puts a new unit(or more units) into ALL versions of Civ3...you would have to add them separately to PTW and Conquests...in seperate editors (since Conquests and PTW biq/bix/bic are all different)...

I have the same 3-in-1 pack you have, and the files are still kept separately for each game...

this is of course assuming that you meant:

that are playble in all editions of Civ III

Civ III, PTW and C3C, plus dozens of user created scenarios and maps

Open up Infogrames--->Civilization III--->Conquests, at which point you'll see a scenario file named "conquests" (not capatalized). Open that up, and you'll be able to edit all the rules of your standard Civ:Conquest games, including the unit line-up.
NO NO NO!
dodgy, don't edit that biq! It's the default rule file, and if you don't know exactly what you're doing (which, no offense, but you obviously don't) it's very easy to mess up your game and you will have to reinstall.
Just make a new scenario (see my sig) with the original Civ3 editor (if you want it to be playable in all editions, but frankly if you have Conquests I don't know why you would want to play the older versions) and play it instead of the default game. It's not that hard to click "Civ-Content" and your scenario instead of "New Game"

NO NO NO!
dodgy, don't edit that biq! It's the default rule file, and if you don't know exactly what you're doing (which, no offense, but you obviously don't) it's very easy to mess up your game and you will have to reinstall.
Just make a new scenario (see my sig) with the original Civ3 editor (if you want it to be playable in all editions, but frankly if you have Conquests I don't know why you would want to play the older versions) and play it instead of the default game. It's not that hard to click "Civ-Content" and your scenario instead of "New Game"

a bit too late probably :crazyeye:

NO NO NO!

Hell, that's how I did it, and it works fine. In fact, I was an utter modding n00b at one point and I didn't mess up one single thing. As long as he refrains from making some radical decision such as deleting everything and starting from scratch, it shouldn't pose a problem.

And don't do too many changes at once dadgy. That way you can discover your mistakes better. Do about ten units at a time and test them before adding another ten, and so on.

But then again, you might prefer Weasel Op's method better. I personally think it's more convenient to play the normal game with the modifications rather than a "scenario", but to each his own.

what Weasel is saying is Dont mess up your original BIQ....its really not a huge inconvenience to just load a BIQ from Civ-content...However it is a huge inconvenience to reinstall your whole game...

I also suggest making a seperate BIQ...by opening the editor, and saving as a new name...then load the BIQ as that name...you can still add all the files to the main folders (no search file) and it will work...just dont forget the TXT files will still be the main ones...

Top Bottom