End of Empires - N3S III

Does anyone else think that 'Kotthorns' are a ridiculously ugly name for a mountain range? The Satar call(ed) them the Kothai, and I hope to high heaven that other people start doing that too.

Why would we? The Satar don't have some sort of power to cause people to use their language. The Uggor have known them for a long time as the Kotthorns, and I doubt they'd be changing the name any time soon. And if they did, a Satar name would be a terrible choice. :p

Does anyone else think that 'Kotthorns' are a ridiculously ugly name for a mountain range? The Satar call(ed) them the Kothai, and I hope to high heaven that other people start doing that too.

Tough :p

Not everything has to fit your sense of aesthetics...

Does anyone else think that 'Kotthorns' are a ridiculously ugly name for a mountain range?

Nah. :p

Hmm, you're right, I'm misusing the term 'totalitarian'. Perhaps a better term would be 'absolute' or 'uncontested'.

Or tyrannical, or autocratic.

BTW, das, if you have any problems with my portrayal of your leader, please tell me how I could correct it.

If I had any problems with it I would've said so in my post. If I really look hard for something to nitpick about, I suppose might not have used the word "lineage", but I actually think it's neat to have some subtle translation inaccuracies every now and then.

Incidentally, Kal'thzar, I find your reply so far to be woefully lacking. :p That said, I take it you agree with the plan?

By the way, I was wondering- you referred to the Sesh as 'fish people'. Do you have similar titles for all other groups in your knowledge, or was this a specific slur just for them?

The Faronun refer to them as 'Coaha', which is derived from the Uggor term for the mountain range.

So apparently the word 'Kotthorn' exists in some magical lingua franca so that EVERYONE calls it that. That can be the Uggor name, but 'Uggor' already shares two letters with 'ugly' to begin with. :mischief:

Since Thearak was the first to name them, and Krato conquered Thearak, clearly the right to naming them goes to Krato. :p

But yeah, I'm not saying everyone should call them the Kotthorns. However, it is the correct and right name. ;)

I expect people to call the mountains whatever they want. I'll pick and choose the names in the updates as I see fit.

By the way, I was wondering- you referred to the Sesh as 'fish people'. Do you have similar titles for all other groups in your knowledge, or was this a specific slur just for them?

Technically our geographic/ethnographic tradition (if you could call it that) refers to them as "the Fish Family". Everyone else gets an animal too, traditionally; not sure about what the Satar would be, though, since Horse Family is taken (probably Rabbit Family :p ). That said, the Bisrians and the Farun are now more often called by a bastardised version of their own ethnonyms, while Krato and Duroc are generally perceived as "the Southerners" (plus there is a recognition of Krato and to a much lesser extent Farun familial divisions); other than Krato they all still get sweeping animal family names, but it's not used as often as it was and still is for the Sesh, in whose case it has indeed become something of a slur (but originally just meant to emphasise their overall weirdness - as well as their being ugly and slippery maritimers :p ).

So apparently the word 'Kotthorn' exists in some magical lingua franca so that EVERYONE calls it that. That can be the Uggor name, but 'Uggor' already shares two letters with 'ugly' to begin with. :mischief:

The Hu'ut called them Hottubameleppotton'e'en, if you want an alternative. :p

The Song of Hashaskor

One:

As a boy, my father often took me into the desert.

There are things in the desert which many men cannot endure. The low wind, hissing, that carried sand into eyes and saddlebags and mixed with the sweat which poured down from your brow. We slaughtered weak horses often there, for water was more precious than a man's soul in the desert. The blood was strong and salty, and the first time I tasted it, it made me cough.

There are ways to live in the desert. My father forced me to find all of them. Each night I failed to find food, a black whip was laid across my back. I looked into my father's eyes, and saw no compassion there. Then he removed the latan, the wind flute, and played, while the boy wept softly into the night.

---

My name is Hashaskor, Prince of the Star. I am descended from a line of dead gods. Their names are Atraxes, Silver Prince, Sapphire King. Atraxes Unbroken. Atraxes the Great. His father was Arastephas, Redeemer of Men. Of him, no titles can do justice.

There were some that said the Star should always rule the Satar. That it was ill that a Prince of the Spear, Xetares, should rise to the Gold. These men were killed.

Some by my hand.

I had a silver mask, tarnished from rivulets of sweat and blood that had stained it in battle. It was knocked from my face at the Second Battle of Subal. Even then, as we smashed the Faronun van probing towards our encampment, I knew. For the wind from the north was cold and wet. It was a wind that smelled of catastrophe.

It was some weeks later that the messengers came, those that survived. The Hu'uti garrisons were lost, and the Faronun had reclaimed their places, swarming out from their mountain fastnesses. I had not the men to contest them. The Redeemer was dead. Magha would not hold. My brethren princes had taken their own lives in an act of great bravery.

Unlike my six brothers, there is no Tephas grass and soil for my blood to water. It is a heathen land upon which my sacrificial blood would spill. But I offered it to the Faronun. They denied it. The Faronun are enigma to me. These Faronun cannot fight as Satar do, but when fate hands them a victory, they refuse their rightful vengeance. Either their kings are mad or their people feel no bloodlust. I refuse to believe either.

We left Subal like a wind. This desert is called Kafin. We wait here.

In the morning we will fall upon a Hu'uti town. This will be the third such village we have erased from the world. It disgusts me now how we pillage for sustenance. But I am a desert warlord, and my men are desert exiles.

We shall cross this river, somehow, until we find our home.

The only home the Satar know is the home of battle. We are no longer Satar, but we know no other way.

I play my latan as my father did. Soon, we shall cross this river.

Wow... I am amazed at my extreme critizism of other people's works. :shocked:

It was pretty good Thlayli. I respect your story-telling and NESing skills and hope that either North King finish updating states OR someone tell me if it was already updated.
EDIT: North King, please work on stats. I did it and it was harder than I thought but WAY easier than this. Just work on it in stages: the north, the Steppe, The Marintime Center. The East, the South.

Kal'thzar - I reiterate - you need to assemble a canon, those little anecdotes about the Prophet are nice for a folk religion, but a proper organised hieratic religion needs something more advanced, complicated, philosophical and contrived. I need various details about organisation, orthodox cosmology and doctrine for story purposes and such. Provide those if you don't want me to start a state-backed heresy. :p

Top Bottom