Building Made Fun!

Creating new standard size maps for BMF fill it in your goals ?

Because you could appealing more people with maps made for BMF...

Other possibility : including YNAEMP of Gedemon, partially or totally in BMF...

Everyone already gone on vacation or waiting in silence for whatever the next patch will bring?

Here's a building suggestion:

Racecourse
Cost: 600
Maintenance: 1
Requires: 2 Horse(s)
PrereqTech: Combustion
Happiness: 1
Gold: 1 per 0.25 Citizen

This would give the poor horses a final place to be still useful after cavalry days are over.

PS: There is a PercentBuildingNeeded setting missing for National Epic in BMF v10.3.

PS: There is a PercentBuildingNeeded setting missing for National Epic in BMF v10.3.
No there isn't ;) I figured allowing the National Epic only when the nation is formed (no longer in active expansion) fitted best. And the monument is the easiest building to get.

Any idea how long it will take you make all of these changes? I'm guessing at least a month considering how much the patch changed things?

The racecourse sounds good, though it is already in BMF as its ancient version: the (Roman) circus. I edited out the tent and elephant silliness, which doesn't fit the time frame. As they do not go obsolete, they "become" racecourses in my interpretation. Also 2 horses would often mean lots of racecourses, meaning other buildings have to be toned down to compensate, making them less useful.

How about making it a national wonder: the Ascot Racecourse? Having a place name in it is not ideal though. Requirement could be 16 horses: you need stallions from different parts of the world to sire thoroughbred race horses.

edit: And perhaps move buildings around in that case: the Colosseum could replace Circus Maximus (actually makes more sense), which in turn could become a world wonder. This prevents two horse race national wonders.

---​

Working on CiVUP compatibility. The idea is to include the information for it in the mod, but keep it inactive unless you rename a certain folder (or even dynamic through a database check). And install CiVUP of course. This would mean for instance that national wonders again need the appropriate building in all cities, unless CiVUP is activated, in which case it is 50%, 75% or 100% of cities.

They did hold all kinds of events in the circus, but it was (mainly) a chariot racing venue. Like in Ben Hur ;)

My idea was to get rid of the horses as leftover resource and earn a bit gold. While the Circus and Colosseum are happiness buildings, the Racecourse should be rather a gold building with only 1 happiness (citizen limit) as a welcome diversion from the bored modern daily routine. Loosing bets don't make everyone happy.
There are quite many racecources in countries today, so it's not something extraordinaire today like a colosseum in classic times. It shouldn't be the most incredible must-have building to win the game, rather something extra if you don't know what to build else.

Seeing it the plausible way, the Colosseum should become obsolete during medieval era but that could cause an ugly happiness crash for every civ.
Okay, it could be abused for bull fighting or such nonsense today what wouldn’t make me happy as citizen but maybe others. Such barbaric entertainment isn't popular or legalized in many countries today anyway.

I take the view of buildings as concepts which evolve. That temple you built to Baal or whoever in the BC's in the real, modern world would have been demolished long ago and replaced by a new building dedicated to a new god, often erected on the foundations of its predecessor. But there will always be a venue for worship, providing that 2 culture.

I look at the circus the same way. Those that survive indeed serve a cultural purpose now, but the circus doesn't grant any... You could apply the same logic to any ancient building, which will never retain its original function, if it survives at all. So for the amphitheatre, it just becomes a stadium in my mind and the modern one is just the supersize version. You have so many of these for different sports anyway.

As happiness is in shorter supply, I would change the circus to 1 :c5happy: 1 :c5gold: to allow for other buildings (such as the public baths) to grant happiness without upsetting balance. Gold: I'm sure betting is of all times. Besides there are already the metro and airport in the late game that produce gold and even without them, your income can get extremely high.

I see your point about the horses. But they DO got obsolete for most of their (non-cultural) functions in real life too. Racehorses have a pedigree and their numbers can hardly be related to the masses used in the military, transport, farming, ... But I agree seeing e.g. 20 horses appear in the resource list feels wrong (smaller numbers are ok for me), thus my alternative. In the ideal case horses should go obsolete and disappear from the resource list, just serve as a bonus resource from that point.

Guys, let the poor horses have a job later!
2 horses, 4 horses, 1 gold per 10 citizen, I don’t care. :D

I leave it to Pouakai if he's up to ever create a racecourse. I can live without one either.

Can't wait for this to be patch 332-proof :). I hope the updating against the new features in the patch is a bit easy to do, to me it seems a horror to find the errors!

Horror is the right word... I've gone beyond the point where frustration turns to anger, let it rest, repeat. The problem now is that I can't seem to get CiVUP to load before an sql file in BMF. I need those CiVUP tables dammit!

edit: if only the "Associations" tab in modbuddy would work! I installed CiVUP first, activated it first... doesn't help :(

Top Bottom