New NESes, ideas, development, etc

This is a random idea I had after re-reading all of the Hunger Games books.

First Panem Congress

The idea behind this NES would be to simulate the creation and then functioning of the new government of Panem after the defeat of both tyrannical Presidents. Players would be playing representatives from each District at the beginning, but other than that the only rules I would impose would be that when the Congress Moderator ceases debate and calls for a vote, debate must cease and votes must be given. Other than that, I would leave it up to the players to write operating rules for the Congress (or I could simply impose a parliamentary system from the beginning) and a Constitution for the government of Panem on their own. Of course, I might try to (as Moderator) push discussions or introduce new topics, but past that and any crises I invent (if I do) moderator interference would be low. If the game was successful enough, I could also use the Constitution that the players come up with and we could simulate the first few years of Panem's new government, and all of the challenges associated with them...

Thoughts?

So I've been thinking of MAYBE starting a new NES project, for rollout sometime october when I have some free time to finish the build (SysNES2 will not be coming back). This whole "Death of NESing" malarky isn't filling me with optimism though.

Common to both ideas:
  • Will have a more computer game-y feel than a more typical NES to decrease simulationist workload.
  • Automated order generation: you fiddle with your local spreadsheet and it'll spit out a text file for your submission. This will require a copy of Excel with macros enabled as a requirement to play.
  • Will be a 2d single planet world map, with a province based information model.
  • An automated economic system with discrete trade goods
  • Even more social policy settings than SysNES2 :p
  • No player controlled battles as in SysNES, instead players will be able to set tactical options which are then simulated against each other (pokeArmies).
  • No tech trees or levels, instead things will unlock globally and percolate out from cutting edge nations.
  • Update timestep of 1/2 year (so there will be different winter and summer resource and terrain maps), will gearshift to five year jumps on whim.
  • If people other than players want to write stories or send ideas for events, they will be worked into the narrative (gotta get dat RNG somehow)

IDEA 1: Planetary Colonisation!
  • SMAC like obviously ;). Planet will be 'semi'-habitable.
  • Set early on in the SysNES timeline
  • Very limited player count (5-6 max)
  • PvE from trying to stay alive and attempting to build and terraform, PvP conflict to emerge (or not) organically over resource limitations and terraforming goals (piece an aquifer to water a river valley and flood your downstream neighbours land :3 etc)
  • Few primary goods in the economic model, more secondary ones.
  • Dorf Fortress like pre-game game of deciding what to bring.
  • Settlers of Catan like pre-game game of deciding where you're going to drop your landers.
  • A tincture of transhumanism at first, possibly more later (though of the SysNES style)

IDEA 2:peshawar Lancers Ice Age Scenario!
  • An Impact in the atlantic in 19th century causes massive devastation, followed by climate cooling. Some nations die, some relocate, some strange chimeras born. The game will be set a hundred years or so after the Impact.
  • More flexible player count
  • PvE from trying to keep your population alive and economy going in a climate that is steadily changing (and for the most part worsening), PvP fights over limited resources and living space. NES 'winner' is determined by current citizens:starting citizens ;)
  • Simpler military options than idea 1
  • More primary goods in the economic model, fewer secondary ones.
  • Less tech development options, more social ones ;).
  • More opportunity to be violent and vicious to your depraved hearts content.

IDEA 2b: Same as 2 but restricted to North America
  • Very limited player count
  • Gone with if I feel like the player count in (2) is to high or (1) turns out to be too fiddly

Thoughts?

I'm reading Red Mars right now (having just finished 2314) and I definitely have a couple dozen molecules of oxytocin to rub together over idea 1.

I would definitely submit something for (1). I don't care about (2/b) in the slightest and would not participate in it.

Depending on a number of personal circumstances I may join 1 or 2 (as in, I probably would, but there are some complications that might drag me away from the forum). Or at least I would definitely be interested in how it turns out.

Earth is boring, so idea one is intrinsically the best! Will social polices be less transparent to mitigate min-maxing?
  • No player controlled battles as in SysNES, instead players will be able to set tactical options which are then simulated against each other (pokeArmies).
  • If people other than players want to write stories or send ideas for events, they will be worked into the narrative (gotta get dat RNG somehow)

These two are the best, especially the latter. As a person who avoids contributing stories, the ability to submit events is something I can see myself attempting. :)

...is pokeArmies something I should be aware of, by the way? I have no idea what that means, other than something vaguely Japanese.

Idea one sounds the most interesting to me. Though I'm not terribly optimistic that I'll get to play given the player cap, I'd still love to see it happen.

Millions and millions of dollars that kickstarter has raised, and the game only has that many stars. Real waste.

Combat in a way similar to pokemon games.

"Tank Division, I choose you! Use blitzkrieg on his Hussarmander! It's super effective!"

So basically a very complex version of rock-paper-scissors, with a random element?

Hey guys so I was thinking of running my first NES after participating in quite a few.
My main idea was the it would be a fresh start alternate earth like world, where the players would play as gods (virtually immortal titan like creatures) or perhaps playing as civilisations.
Then as gods they would have 'action points' that would determine what they can do/how powerful they are and this would be based off the number of followers/ how devoted the followers are.
Their aim would be to obviously increase their standing amongst the gods and look after their followers.

Of course the various civilisations would have their own interests at heart, perhaps even fighting other people that follow the same religion.
Individual people may claim to hear the words of a certain god and convince people to perform actions that may be detrimental for the god.
The gods could also fight each other, have prophets and such that may convince empires to fight the gods.
Finally, there is also the chance that a civilisation or a coalition could become powerful enough to fight the gods and such.

Thats about it so far, I just wanted to gauge interest before I started a Pre-thread or even the actual thread.

GodNESes are always amusing, I think they usually gather most interest when including Genesis-like events, but they rarely go far (Although NESes don't, in general, so it might simply be because people haven't tried enough times damnit!)

Last time I took a go at it, I only managed two updates before my hard drive broke down - I limited the number of active gods for the first turns and I had like thirty applications. (!)

That said at least I like to consider myself a little more well-known (or infamous) so that might be the reason for the overwhelming number of applicants. But they are usually not difficult to get players for. People really like to play pantheon games.

Top Bottom