Whining and bellyaching about historical inaccuracies: the megatopic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeyfinger

Deity
CHARLEMAGNE DIDN'T RULE THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE WHICH ISNT HOLY OR ROMAN OR AN EMPIRE WASHINGTON BOUDICA AND HANNIBAL WERE MILITARY LEADERS NOT POLITICAL ONES GANDHI WAS JUST A HUMANITARIAN THE BYZANTINE EMPIRE IS REALLY ROME THE OTTOMANS SHOULD BE THE TURKS INCA AND ETHOPIA AND PORTUGAL NEVER MATTERED AND DONT DESERVE INCLUSION THE VIKINGS AND AZTECS AND NATIVE AMERICANS WERENT ACTUAL CIVILIZATIONS RAGNAR AND GILGAMESH WERENT REAL BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Debate for pages on end about those or add your own that I missed

Define civilization.
Now, define leader.

WE ARE PLAYING ON RANDOM GENERATED MAPS!! YOU CANNOT ARGUE ABOUT HISTORICAL ACCURACY IF YOUR MAPS AREN'T REAL!!

Okay I feel better now :lol:

:cool:

CHARLEMAGNE DIDN'T RULE THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE WHICH ISNT HOLY OR ROMAN OR AN EMPIRE WASHINGTON BOUDICA AND HANNIBAL WERE MILITARY LEADERS NOT POLITICAL ONES GANDHI WAS JUST A HUMANITARIAN THE BYZANTINE EMPIRE IS REALLY ROME THE OTTOMANS SHOULD BE THE TURKS INCA AND ETHOPIA AND PORTUGAL NEVER MATTERED AND DONT DESERVE INCLUSION THE VIKINGS AND AZTECS AND NATIVE AMERICANS WERENT ACTUAL CIVILIZATIONS RAGNAR AND GILGAMESH WERENT REAL

HANNIBAL WAS POLITICAL LEADER AFTER SECOND PUNIC WAR, SO YOU KNOW NOTHING AT ALL!!!!

:lol:

CHARLEMAGNE DIDN'T RULE THE HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE WHICH ISNT HOLY OR ROMAN OR AN EMPIRE WASHINGTON BOUDICA AND HANNIBAL WERE MILITARY LEADERS NOT POLITICAL ONES GANDHI WAS JUST A HUMANITARIAN THE BYZANTINE EMPIRE IS REALLY ROME THE OTTOMANS SHOULD BE THE TURKS INCA AND ETHOPIA AND PORTUGAL NEVER MATTERED AND DONT DESERVE INCLUSION THE VIKINGS AND AZTECS AND NATIVE AMERICANS WERENT ACTUAL CIVILIZATIONS RAGNAR AND GILGAMESH WERENT REAL BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

1. The Holy Roman Empire was based on the partition of the Frankish Empire--which Charlemagne ruled--in 843 by the Treaty of Verdun. Although Charlemagne never ruled the H.R.E., he was an extremely emperor of the Frankish Kingdom, so traditionally he is considered its first ruler. Stop complaining.

2. The H.R.E. was a collection of kingdoms that varied in size and influence during its history. Although not technically a civilization by strict standards, it was an influential political entity. The aforementioned quote by Voltaire was made during the later days of the Empire's lifespan. By that time, the Empire had become an ineffectual and the position of emperor largely ceremonial. Stop complaining.

3. Washington is often considered one of the most influential Presidents not only due to his military leadership, but also to the precedents he set in office as the first president. Stop complaining.

4. Boudica, Hannibal, and Gandhi were not political leaders, but they were influential people. The developers of Civilization like to take a loose interpretation of history. Big Whoop.

5. The Byzantine Empire was not Roman. The Roman Empire had a Latin West and a Greek East. After the Latin West fell, the Eastern Empire began to develop as a very distinct political, cultural, and religious entity.

6. Ottoman and Turkish are interchangeable and both valid.

7. The Incan, Ethiopian, and Portuguese Empires mattered to differing degrees. They were probably included in order to emphasize the diversity of human civilization.

8. The Vikings, Aztecs, Native Americans, Arabs, Celts, etc. may not have been singular political entities, but to varying degrees they did share a common culture (less so in the case of the Native Americans).

9. Ragnar and Gilgamesh were actual leaders though heavily mythologized and obscured by history. Very little about their respective reigns is known.

Please stop crying.

4. Boudica, Hannibal, and Gandhi were not political leaders, but they were influential people. The developers of Civilization like to take a loose interpretation of history. Big Whoop.

I know I shouldn't bother, but... :D

About Hannibal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal#Later_career
Hannibal was still only 43 and soon showed that he could be a statesman as well as a soldier. Following the conclusion of a peace that left Carthage stripped of its formerly mighty empire, Hannibal prepared to take a back seat for a time. However, the blatant corruption of the oligarchy gave Hannibal a chance of a come back and he was elected as suffet, or chief magistrate. The office had become rather insignificant, but Hannibal restored its power and authority. The oligarchy, always jealous of him, had even charged him with having betrayed the interests of his country while in Italy, for neglecting to take Rome when he might have done so. So effectively did Hannibal reform abuses that the heavy tribute imposed by Rome could be paid by installments without additional and extraordinary taxation. He also reformed the Hundred and Four, stipulating that its membership be chosen by direct election rather than co-option. He also used citizen support to change the term of office in the Hundred and Four from life to a year with a term limit of two years.

That's why Hannibal is Financial...

PLEASE ENGAGE YOUR SARCASM DETECTORS AND REREAD THE FIRST POST.

That will be all. :trouble:

I thought the moderators were responsible for detecting sarcasm so no one else would have to (although I have seen their detectors fail occationally).:D

PLEASE ENGAGE YOUR SARCASM DETECTORS AND REREAD THE FIRST POST.

That will be all. :trouble:

If it was also directed to me, I know it since before my reply!
I just wanted to annoy. :mischief:

Im sick and tired about people whining about this and that in BTS, so let me get it all out. All civs firaxis included were based upon long research. Also notice there has been a decling in poland threads after bts came out. they decided to accept it and/or learn to mod. and do your reasearch about the HRE and the Byzantine Empire. Some of the Byzantines best emperors were former generals and warleaders. I have read over 4 college level books on byzantium, so i would recomend dont get into the entire "byzantium is just the roman empire" crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom