A different audience?

I'm assuming the remote will be used essentially the way a mouse is used in the PC version. This would give the Wii a far more user friendly interface than any other console, with the possible exception of the DS's touch screen.

Just too bad they are like everyone else and not truly giving the wii the same development priority as the other consoles receive.

It's understandable tha tthe Wii takes longer. They have to make all three controllers (remote, nunchuck, and gamepad) compatible with the game along with implimenting the motion senosr where as with the xbox 360, they just have to mod the comtroller in and the ps3 just has the controller plus the 6 axis sensor.

Civ Rev will push the developers to think in a new direction, who knows it may push up some gems that will make it into future PC versions of Civ.

Console games aren't so much about an age group as it is about an experience. People might sit in front of their computer in their study for 12 hours. But when it comes to sitting in front of their TV to play a game, they might not play as long. A PC game might have dozens of different buttons, but a console game has a more simple move/action control.

There's a different audience, alright. But I don't think console gamers are stupid for wanting a quicker experience. You could easily make the counter-argument: maybe playing a 12 hour marathon multi-player session is pretty stupid.

The real answer is it's a matter of taste.

If CivRev makes me Paris Hilton, then I'll be in my room (not because I was court ordered), as Paris Hilton, and if you ask me, I'll tell you "it's hot." ;)

lol, yeah - i wouldnt be too concerned either

CivRev is definitely for a different audience - the question is, will this different audience (the console audience) go for it?
One of the great things about Civ (beyond the strategy per se) has been it's sense of grandeur. You could build a civilization to stand the test of time! I don't know if that kind of feeling can be duplicated in an hour and a half. Is the fun of marching goofy looking Roman legions around and making a skimpily-clad animated Cleopatra mad going to translated into a compelling game?

This game is targeted towards 12 year olds and people like Paris Hilton.

They got the first five letters right in CivRev. Instead though, it should be CivRetards: Civilization for ******s.

Moderator Action: Warned! - Trolling
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves." -C.S. Lewis

Seriously, could you sound any more immature?

I for one am cautiously optimistic and very excited to try out a portable version of Civ (DS version I'm looking at you!)

Yeah, but since the protable version will only be released for the DS, they must really be targeting the 12 years and under crowd. If you want the game to appeal to a grown up audience, it should be available on the PSP or Pocket PC for a mobile platform.

Who says only kids have a DS? My wife and I have a DS - currently shared but the odds of us having one each are growing, simply because it's fun to play. We both enjoy plying Civ 4 on the PC (usually on the laptop in bed/on the sofa) - yet we both think the idea of a quicker, simpler, Civ experience on the move in very appealing, especially for whiling away long journeys or similar.

Apparently the game aims towards a younger, more mainstream audience.
A different audience, yes. Mainstream? Maybe... Younger? As a few others have already said in this thread, no -- not necessarily.

i dont know, besides the fact that i dont have a new console, it seems like CivRev will be like a watered down version of IV and i have a pre conceived notion that i will not like it.

I myself would like a quicker and simpler version of civ. I was wondering will there be a save option during your campaign. Everyone seems to be talking about it taking an hour or two but I hope they implement a save option. Also when will their official website be up and I feel there is a lack of info on the part of Fraxis for this game, if it wasn't for Danq we would have virtualy no info at all. :cry:

i dont know, besides the fact that i dont have a new console, it seems like CivRev will be like a watered down version of IV and i have a pre conceived notion that i will not like it.
I can understand that preconceived notion, but from what I have seen -- including first-hand -- CivRev is not a watered down version of any Civ title.

If you haven't already, I invite you to read my ongoing multi-part preview which includes a number of details that had/have not been publicly disclosed before. Hopefully it will convince you that you just might like it. :)

I myself would like a quicker and simpler version of civ. I was wondering will there be a save option during your campaign. Everyone seems to be talking about it taking an hour or two but I hope they implement a save option.
There is a save game option. :yup:

Nah Ain't gonna play it, ain't even gonna download it.
As I said in some other place, I like my Grandstrategy games and especially those turnbased to have simple but goodlooking graphics, many options and those easy to customize and many different paths to take.

I do not want action, cool graphics, effects, easy to govern cities and this sort of stuff.

This "different audience" talk is ridiculous. I don't get why people insist that PC players and console players are different audiences. I play games on my PC and I play games on consoles. I've played Civ since Civ II and I've played Civ IV as much as anyone, but I am very much looking forward to Civ Revolution because it likely cuts down on the tediousness of PC versions of Civ. Civ Rev will incorporate much of the strategy that has made made Civ such a popular series. There really wouldn't be anything else in Civ if they took out the strategy. But it will make the game quicker so its something you can play in one sitting and online games will actually be made worth playing. In my opinion, Civ online on the PC sucks, but I can't wait to play Civ Rev on Xbox Live!

Making a Grand Strategy game for Consoles is a DIFFERENT AUDIENCE.

Making Halo for Xbox while making UT2004 for PC is not a different audience.

Get it?
This game ain't gonna be anywhere near the previous titles.
Sure *you* may still like it but I'm not going to buy nor download it because in my opinion there's far better "cool" multiplayer strategy games out there than this one. And as it's going to be worse than the previous titles when it becomes to grand strategy, empire building, nation wars, then I'm not going to buy it as a grandstrategy game neither.

To me the "different audience" question is a gray area. Yes, CivRev is targeted to a different audience -- gaming on the console as compared to the PC is different just as how their users generally approach the experience. At the same time I believe this game has overlap where primarily or even exclusively PC gamers can enjoy it, perhaps even more so than their console counterparts can with say CivIV.

If you own a console that CivRev is to be released on, have an interest in the Civ series but are still not convinced that you'll like it enough to buy, rent a copy. If you don't own a console, that could be a bit more of an obstacle -- I'm not aware in my 'neck of the woods' of anywhere to resent a whole system -- but hopefully you'll have a family member or friend who does and they'd be willing to let you try CivRev on theirs. This could be a rental copy too.

If preconceived notions prevent someone from trying CivRev at some point, that could be their loss. Ultimately though it's a gamer's individual decision to decide where they fall in this gray area or not and how far they want or are willing to go to determine that.

I think the ablity to have portable civ is going to rock!

I'm getting the DS in the next couple weeks just for that reason ( I also want to play FF3 and the new zelda)

From the previews I have seen, it is not a port of civ4. it is a rehash of civ 2-4, steamlined to play fast. no workers to worry about, building a road is a drag n' click for a price, units build fast and move fast. I think it will be a nice change and I am sure that firaxis will be listening to all the feedback and make civ5 incorperate some of the better ideas.

DanQ already hinted in the one of his previews that we shouldn't worry, this is NOT Civ5 and we will not be disapointed later.

Sid has not steered me wrong yet, no need to prejudge him now.

Top Bottom