Win 7 and XP (64 bit) civ 2 MGE and TOT issues (Fix inside!!)

Thanks! The File in the first post works fine on Vista 64x for ToT 1.1 - you saved my day :)

Can anyone help me out with a dummies guide or something? When i put in civ II ToT on vista 64 bit, the autorun comes up, but when i click install it just closes the autorun and does nothing at all...can anyone help me out here?

The same problem with those edit boxes occurs in the 64 bit version of Windows 7 RC.

But the strange thing is, the fix doesn't work in Win7. You run it, and that's it; nothing happens. It shows up in the process explorer, it also disables Aero, but it actually does nothing. I don't really know if it matters, but the process name is shown with a "*32" after it. I guess this means that the process is in 32 bit mode.

So I wonder if there's gonna be a patch for Windows 7 too. Or is there a way to patch the patch? :p

Edit: Okay, so I've decided to use a disassembler and debug the patch, and I think I've found the reason: memory. My system has 4 gigs of memory and since it's a 64bit OS, all of it is in use. When I debugged the patch, it stuck at some point, with "not enough memory" error.

2nd Edit: Oh sorry, I realized I hadn't seen the patcher. I downloaded it, patched my civ2.exe, and it works fine now :) Thanks a bunch!

I am using win7 x64 rc, and the patcher had no effect. Before, i would run civ2.exe and it would never load, i would jsut get the windows 7 message 'program has stoped working". I patched it, then ran it, no difference.

:(

looks as though a window is coming up (its balnk, nothing's filled in) but it resembles the message that Civ2 could not find the CD.

perhaps civ2 mpe with the no CD patch is the problem?

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: civ2.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 370cf690
Fault Module Name: StackHash_4ab5
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 77c1e0e8
OS Version: 6.1.7077.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 4ab5
Additional Information 2: 4ab5cd6f29de7500138c0aac5e071f20
Additional Information 3: ea40
Additional Information 4: ea40e46b412b953b93c457fdeffad6f5

does that information help?

Okay, now I don't have an excellent understanding of computer lingo, but I think I have a different problem, and so don't want to try the patch unless it is for sure the fix I need. I have Vista, and my Civ II MGE works fine with 2 exceptions:

1) it does occassionally freeze and stop working, but I have that problem occassionally with other programs too, so I'm not worried about that; and

b) none of the videos work. Whenever I get a wonder, or try to view my High Council's meetings, I get a window of black. Same when I encounter any other civs in the game. The window opens, I can read everything, but the ruler is not there. When I'm with the Council, parts of the text box gets blacked out, depending on which member I click on, there is no sound and all of their boxes are empty. Is there a codec or video upgrade needed or something?:confused: I really miss the military guy coming in off the screen drunk cuz I'm kicking butt!!

Update: I have the 32 bit version of Vista Home Basic (came with the laptop, of course). Oh, and also the opening screen is black and silent until I click, anywhere.

Hi everybody,
I'm new to the Forum and have become somewhat desperate for help.
I have a new Dell Studio with Vista 64.

I have installed the game, downloaded the patch from Mastermind and played one game when it crashed again with the sane error
*civ2.exe has stopped working*

This is the onl game I play so I am somewhat desperate.

Please help!

Im having the exact same problem. Im trying to get the MGE working on Vista, but it crashes whenever I try to type something (ie my name) or build a city. I tried downloading the above patches, but got the same thing that Xdaemon.dll was missing. I have no idea where that is/where to find it. Any help would be great.

im also having this problem but cant see anywhere where its been solved

I uploaded Xdaemon.dll to rapidshare here

BTW if someone has problems with the advisors and other movies, try installing ffdshow codec.
Also if the videos are choppy on vista try running the game in XP compatibility modus.

Good morning!

Forgive me re-asking the same question that has been asked already, but I'm not especially computer savvy and some of the tech speak above has confused me a bit.

I'm having the same problem running Civ 2 MGE on Windows Vista (it crashed when I try to enter text). The patch in the original post of the thread--is that only good for Windows XP 64, or will it also work for Vista? If someone would be kind enough to link to the Vista-appropriate patch, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

As far as report goes, the patch I wrote seems to work for every 64 bits flavors of windows (XP, Vista, Win7).

@mastermindx:
Your patch works fine for me on w7-64 bit.

There is a patch somewhere to fix the MGE aggressive AI. But, it will not work if mge has already been patched. I will look for it again if you think your patch will work on a patched civ.exe.
1) Do you know of a non-aggressive mge ai patch?
2) Would either of your patch methods work on an altered civ.exe?

As far as I know, my patch work on every version of CIV2, TOT, the map editor's exe. I believe it would even work on any other game using the same "faulty component" (Though I know of no such game).

My patcher looks for a sequence of 21 specific bytes. As long as the other patches you apply doesn't alter them, my patcher will continue to work.

Mastermind - great patch, worked fine on vista 64. I am having trouble running civ1 though through dosbox. It says "cannot find civ.exe please enter new program spec"

I don't know if this is a 32-64 bit problem or whether it is something else. I have next to no experience with tinkering beyond interfaces so can someone please help me out?

Many thanks!

Perry

I am having a problem getting Civ 2 to run on my Vista 64 operating system.
When I try to run Civ 2, an error message appears saying that the version of windows that I am running is not compatable. I tried running masterminds patch, but it comes up with an error saying that the patch could not be found. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get civ 2 to work?

Civ-2 2.42 will not work because it is a 16 bit program that can't run on a 64 bit system. Bummer, it is my favorite. I hate the hostile ai on mge.

You need civ2-MGE. Apply the latest patch to MGE, then run the mastermind patch and you should be good.

I still get this problem:

"Backup completed
Searching for patch location
ERROR : Patch location not found."

I tried the patch process thingy, but it sais no proces found.
However, when i open my task manager, i see the civ2.exe process. It does however seem to have a space before the name. " civ2.exe" It uses 50% of my CPU and it comes together with " wowexec.exe"

XP SP3
Civ2 from a box together with command and conquer...

Top Bottom