Sub-Par graphics, congrats firaxis.

Mr_Wonka

Chieftain
Once again Firaxis stinks it up with the graphics. imo, and I know a lot fo you wont care or will disagree, they looked aged already. The land terrian as always stinks. The tiles have a lack of variety and still doesn't blend well.

The snow-caped mountains don't even look awe awe inspiring. I think they need to make the mountains bigger because you don't get the feeling that they're even there. Go into google earth and you can see what real terrain looks like. They never get the aesthetics aspect of they're civ games down. Its a shame because it would be ultimate.

I'm won't completely write off the look of the game. Its obviously a lot better than its predecessor, but firaxis is just never up to date with graphic technology.

I think it's fine, besides, firaxis being sub-par graphically is good for people with old computers, like me.

The Graphics are fine it's all about the gameplay, if you want awesome graphics play an FPS

Time spend on shiny graphics is less time spend on AI.

If I want awe-inspiring graphics, I will play Mass Effect 2 and not a turn based strategy game.

Besides the hexagons, I don't see any major graphical difference between Civ4 &5. But I guess that's because there isn't very much room for improvement any more.

Not mentioning that the graphs are normally the last thing being improved ;) Just see the diference between the first images of Civ IV and what came to shop....

@nzk13: what he means is that the models are horrible and probably in that weird cartoonish style that freaked me out when [civ4] came out. High polygon count ≠ good graphics.

Au contraire, I find the terrain graphics to be better than Civ4. Granted, I didn't find the Civ4 ones to be very appealing (I'd rather take some modded Civ3 terrains to the default Civ4 ones - although the moving sheep and such were a nice touch), and these aren't knock-your-socks-off, but I think they're an improvement. And r_rolo's right, they might yet be improved.

Takhisis has a good point too, and Stardock has a nice article somewhere about how they discovered that when designing the Twilight of Arnor expansion for GalCiv2.

I can't say I'm a fan of the leaderheads thus far, though. Guess I'm just not one for the cartoonish look. Thus far, the Civ3 leaderheads still have the crown from me, with Civ2 probably being second.

Once again Firaxis stinks it up with the graphics. imo, and I know a lot fo you wont care or will disagree, they looked aged already. The land terrian as always stinks. The tiles have a lack of variety and still doesn't blend well.

The snow-caped mountains don't even look awe awe inspiring. I think they need to make the mountains bigger because you don't get the feeling that they're even there. Go into google earth and you can see what real terrain looks like. They never get the aesthetics aspect of they're civ games down. Its a shame because it would be ultimate.

I'm won't completely write off the look of the game. Its obviously a lot better than its predecessor, but firaxis is just never up to date with graphic technology.

You're a bit of a tool mate, don't you realise with 6 months to go those graphics are probably alpha graphics? The art team would still be working on them. Don't people know anything about dev cycles? :rolleyes:

Everyone likes to give Firaxis a free pass when it comes to the artwork. You can call me a tool, but I'm being honest.

wait for the finished or even mostly finished product before bashing something, to bash something that is not even remotely a finished product is a border-line lunatic act

wait for the finished or even mostly finished product before bashing something, to bash something that is not even remotely a finished product is a border-line lunatic act

you got to get your voice heard, brother.

This is a famous alpha build:
Spoiler :
So I wouldn't trust alphas too much, they might be using civ4 terrain until they have a definitive version of their own.

What game is that in the spoiler, Takhisis?

A game developed by Blizzard and people say being Korean is a cheat code to it and it has major cult status in South Korea

What game is that in the spoiler, Takhisis?

You seriously don't recognise the most popular RTS that has ever been released? The RTS that has professional leagues and entire TV stations dedicated solely to broadcasting its matches?

It's Dawn of War, dude!

Top Bottom