Hard Copy requires 3 GB download?

cosmo.civ5

Chieftain
I bought a hard copy of Civlization 5 instead of buying a digital copy from D2D or Steam. I was trying to avoid the long download time because of my rather limited internet speed.

Lo and behold... as soon as I insert the DVD into my computer, it starts to download the game through Steam. I estimate it's going to be a few days before the entire thing is finished. I was hoping to play the game tonight, not this weekend.

A quick check of the contents of the DVD show that there is in fact a copy of Civ5 in there. It's over 3 GB big, but for some reason Civ5 has opted to download from STEAM instead of just copying the files off the DVD.

Can anybody make any sense out of this? Is there any way to force Civ5 to install from the hardcopy instead of Steam? It's so frustrating to see that 3 GB file in the DVD completely ignored by STEAM. Not to mention STEAM overwhelming my network bandwidth for the next few days.

Your doing something wrong, you should be able to install off the disk, however that won't include patches, I got a 1gb update patch on the 21st (and my game wont unlock till the 24th), so anyone buying on disk because of internet issues may not be best pleased.

Moderator Action: Moved to technical support.

The disc should not require a download.
Try canceling it, and installing it again, then you might get the option to install it from DVD.
The option should also be somewhere else accessible by default, but no idea where atm :dunno:.

My CD installed the whole game in about 7 minutes, then downloaded a patch in 1 minute and 30 seconds, around 44MB or something, just FYI.

If you don't run the install from the CD and click install in steam, it will download it. I accidentially clicked it on the 3rd try of installing the game because it was crashing.

Tried launching installer from DVD that i bought and all it did was launch the steam install util which then promptly started download a 3 GB "patch"

and tried this twice but no mater how its done Steam insists that it downloads the entire game instead of using the hard media in the DVD drive

and manual is useless in this since all it tells you is to install the steam software and follow instructions on screen lol WHAT INSTRUCTIONS doesnt say anything just starts downloading the game although i am happy that i at least have a fairly good speed of connection just P..... off that i had to use some of my download limit for something i had already bought on physical media

It seem to be normal.
When I install my Civ5 through hard copy, it still download something from Steam first (I'm sure that is not the patch) before installing disk content.
So try to wait it download something first. I don't know what's that something.

Top Bottom