Formula 1 2012

It sounds like the silly season is completely out of control in F1 this year.

I wonder if Hamilton ever heard of Jaques Villeneuve. More money is rarely worth taking a worse ride. I suspect there is more to this story.

There is a possibility that Mercedes will build a better car next season as the regulations are meant to be changing slightly again and they have first access to the engines.

It was also starting to look like McLaren and Hamilton just didn't have the consistency to win the title so maybe a change is best for both of them, although Mercedes seem to be even more inconsistent currently.

Unless Hamilton was forced out, I think it was an incredibly huge blunder on his part.

I guess we'll see next season.

I felt that Grosjean's accident today was worse than the Spa one as this was much more avoidable.

To be fair Webber had yet another bad start, even though it wasn't as bad as some of them previously. Then he seemed to appreciably slow in T1. The US commentators thought it was a bit harsh.

But it is the responsibility of the overtaking driver to not make contact. What makes it particularly bad is how many previous incidents there have been this year. If this was the first one, I doubt much would be said about it.

Abu Dhabi was certainly a very interesting race.

The Kimster got his first win since returning.

Vettel showed that he clearly deserves the championship by starting from the very last spot and finishing second.

Maldonado and Kobayashi had another great race.

Webber continued to show he is by far the worst starter of all time.

And Rosberg and Karthikeyan demonstrated how safe F1 has become.

Link to video.

Second? Didn't he finish third?

Oops. You are correct. Alonso finished second.

And did you see the interviews after the race? The profanity from both the Kimster and Sebastian in such a strict country where they can't even drink champagne on the podium was awesome.

Was a good race to watch. I guess as with most charges from the back, Vettel had a decent amount of luck given that there were two safety cars, a decent number of crashes ahead of him and that Di Resta and Grosjean ended up holding up two or three people that would have been around where Vettel came out of the pits. But then I'm not a massive fan of Vettel.

Making up such a huge deficit while passing that many cars just shows what an incredible driver Vettel really is. And he had to do it twice after having to pit during the first FCY. But that certainly doesn't stop me from rooting for Alonso instead.

The inaugural race in Austin was a huge success. What a great new circuit, and what an inspired drive by Lewis Hamilton. Felipe also had a great drive. I'm really happy to see he is going to get at least another year at Ferrari.

And check out the podium Stetsons!

Yeehaw!

I can't miss the last race. Just can't.

I can't miss the last race. Just can't.

And it was a fantastic race!!

Couldn't believe when Vettel was turned around by Senna. But finally he did it! :goodjob:

You are world champion Sebastian Vettel, you're tripple champion, you're the man! ;)

Poor fernando. He deserved to win. But Ferrari didn't. Perhaps it was karma or something, but I blame the car.

His karma didn't run over your dogma? :p

It was yet another very entertaining race. I just wish the FIA posted all the in-car videos after the race so you could watch them. Until they do, I shall remain unconvinced that Vettel didn't sign a pact with the devil or use some sort of wormhole to make up so much lost time in such a short period. One moment, he was facing backward stopped dead on the track in last place. His car had a damaged undertray and a dented exhaust that could break and burn the car to the ground at any time. But what seemed like only a few laps later, he was in 7th place.

But the real star of this race was Nico Hulkenberg. If it wasn't for that FCY he very well might have won the race.

And whatever happened with Filipe Massa to turn him around so quickly?

Blame the car? That's like when people said that Häkkinen only won because he drove McLaren.

Vettel obviously won because he drove Red Bull. And Button because Brawn.

Despite Webber's horrendous record of incredibly bad starts, Vettel is clearly superior to him in the same car. Vettel is likely the best driver in F1 at the moment. I doubt many others, if anybody, could have pulled off what he has in the last two races. He is simply brilliant during qualifying and the first few laps where he typically gains a sufficient lead so P2 can't use the DRS to attack him.

Is the Adrian Newey designed Red Bull car superior to all the rest? There is little doubt of that, but the differences are not all that great as they were in the past. Both McLaren and Ferrari responded quite well to make their cars more competitive during the year.

Winning championships in F1 take 3 major elements: The car, the driver, and the team to properly prepare it and respond to pit stops. Without any of them, it is quite likely that one of the other top teams will win instead. Any of the drivers for the top 3 teams are capable of winning the championship given the right car, the right team, and the right amount of luck. But the top 3 drivers at the moment are clearly Vettel, Alonso, and Hamilton. Any of them would have likely won if they were driving the Red Bull this year.

Four years ago, the Brawn car was clearly superior to all the rest at the beginning of the season due to the rear diffuser. Button was essentially handed easy victories at the start of the season which made his lead insurmoutable. That was really more of a technical fluke than anything else. The FIA really screwed the pooch by not disallowing the double diffuser design which would have leveled the playing field and made the season far more interesting.

But should rule changes be allowed in the middle of a tournament?

Despite Webber's horrendous record of incredibly bad starts, Vettel is clearly superior to him in the same car. Vettel is likely the best driver in F1 at the moment. I doubt many others, if anybody, could have pulled off what he has in the last two races. He is simply brilliant during qualifying and the first few laps where he typically gains a sufficient lead so P2 can't use the DRS to attack him.

Is the Adrian Newey designed Red Bull car superior to all the rest? There is little doubt of that, but the differences are not all that great as they were in the past. Both McLaren and Ferrari responded quite well to make their cars more competitive during the year.

Winning championships in F1 take 3 major elements: The car, the driver, and the team to properly prepare it and respond to pit stops. Without any of them, it is quite likely that one of the other top teams will win instead. Any of the drivers for the top 3 teams are capable of winning the championship given the right car, the right team, and the right amount of luck. But the top 3 drivers at the moment are clearly Vettel, Alonso, and Hamilton. Any of them would have likely won if they were driving the Red Bull this year.

Four years ago, the Brawn car was clearly superior to all the rest at the beginning of the season due to the rear diffuser. Button was essentially handed easy victories at the start of the season which made his lead insurmoutable. That was really more of a technical fluke than anything else. The FIA really screwed the pooch by not disallowing the double diffuser design which would have leveled the playing field and made the season far more interesting.

Wow, an excellent analysis. Very objective! :thumbsup: I also see Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton on one level. As German I just am a Vettel fan. Also I find that he is a very nice guy.

Top Bottom