What historical moment or event do you wish you could have witnessed or participated?

silver 2039

Deity
For me I'm not sure I would have like to see the giant universities at Nalanda, and Taskkalika and the Sun Temples and such before they were destroyed.

I'd like to see Tenochtitlan before it was destroyed.

The Roman Empire under any of the 5 Good Emperors.

The birth of Jesus.

Any classical age big city.

And there are so many more.

If I remember correctly, the Black sea was an interior sea untill something like 5,000 BC. It only joined the Mediterranean sea when the level of oceans have raised so much that it surpassed the range of hills between Greece and Turkey, thus creating the Bosporus strait and filling the Black sea. I'm sure it was a terrific event to witness.

I would have wanted to witness the Palestinian Nakba of 1948 and shoot myself between the eyeballs before living in a world were Religious extreme extremism, which is foreign to a certain land, is widely overlooked and accepted, and where mass genocide is called "the right to defend oneself". A world where a Child's brutal death is demeaned by claiming that he was used as a human shield. A land that was stolen from the hands of it's rightful owners for the sole reason of hiding inexplainable atrocities. A location where both sides are massacring each other in the name of one God.

I just can't believe it's the 21st century and still in some relatively neighboring area to my country, nationality is determined by religion and belief, and Democracy is done by forcing immigration upon the unwanted.

It's just impossible for me to pick just one event. I don't think I would have wanted to participate in much of history (although having my signature on the Declaration of Independance would be incredible), but I would have liked to witness much of it. Here's a short list that's not at all complete:

-Columbus' 1st voyage to the New World.
-The building of the Great Pyramid at Giza.
-Jefferson writing the Declaration of Independance.
-Lectures of Socrates.
-Ceremonies at the 1st Temple in Jerusalem during Solomon's rule.
-Many, many, many battles & sieges including Cannae, Gaugamela, Masada, Tyre, Syracuse, Hastings, Thermopylae...the list is endless.
-Hebrew Biblical events such as creation, the Exodus, siege of Jericho, Abraham sacrificing Isaac, etc....just to see what really happened.
-The spread of Chrisianity in it's 1st decades.

Ugh! Honestly, the list for me is endless.

If I remember correctly, the Black sea was an interior sea untill something like 5,000 BC. It only joined the Mediterranean sea when the level of oceans have raised so much that it surpassed the range of hills between Greece and Turkey, thus creating the Bosporus strait and filling the Black sea. I'm sure it was a terrific event to witness.

Possibly the source of the great flood stories of antiquity.

I would have wanted to witness the Palestinian Nakba of 1948 and shoot myself between the eyeballs before living in a world were Religious extreme extremism, which is foreign to a certain land, is widely overlooked and accepted, and where mass genocide is called "the right to defend oneself".

You want to go back in time just to have a better time & place to commit suicide... Thanks for that uplifting insight.:rolleyes:

...where a Child's brutal death is demeaned by claiming that he was used as a human shield. A land that was stolen from the hands of it's rightful owners for the sole reason of hiding inexplainable atrocities. A location where both sides are massacring each other in the name of one God.

I just can't believe it's the 21st century and still in some relatively neighboring area to my country, nationality is determined by religion and belief, and Democracy is done by forcing immigration upon the unwanted.

Sounds like it belongs in another thread.

Lebanon needs to get it's own problems worked out before it worries about others, but, again, this is a topic for another thread.

You want to go back in time just to have a better time & place to commit suicide... Thanks for that uplifting insight.

Wow, your opinion matters so much, it's so fulfilling. Now that's I'm witnessing a world where Israel actually exists, if I had lived in the 1940s I'd for sure know that "it's not going to get better".

Lebanon needs to get it's own problems worked out before it worries about others.

Yeah since Lebanon exists in another planet, in another universe, and in another dimension. Trust me, 2 thirds of the Lebanese problems are the Palestinian immigrant militia and Hezbollah (the Iranian-backed nation within the Nation) Not to mention that we can't have a proper standing army (or we'd be crushed by another foreign stimulated devastating civil war) because we happen to neighbor, which happens to have the full privilege to defend itself, a privilege we can't possibly have.

Lebanon is a goddamned sh**hole, and it wouldn't have been so if it didn't neighbor that fortress of a country.

Great idea. :D

Living right near the Black Sea myself (about 200 km from it, but Romania does have Black Sea access) I find this amazing... Especially since I remember how as a kid I was walking with my father in some hills in the "Vrancea" region of Romania and I was picking up sea shells on top of the hill!! :D Considering Mount Ararat is quite close to the Black Sea, and the great flood is generally thought as being older than 6,000 years, all the details seem to fit! :eek:

I would have very much enjoyed to live in Baghdad during the reign of someone like Harun al-Rashid.

I would've liked to have been present...

- When Atlantis was created :) (c. 50000 BC??? 1 million BC??? in fantasy world???)
- When the Trung Sisters rebelled against China (40-43 CE)
- When Quang Truong (Vietnamese, c. 1790) beat the **** out of Manchu China
- When Bach was writing his madly insane musical pieces (c.1715)
- When Leonardo was doing his madly insane stuff (c.1510)
- The voyages of Zheng He (c.1400-1430)

Year 33, Jerusalem.

The Crucifixion has the unique quality of being a staggering event to an aware witness both in the case of it having happened, or the contrary.

1. The election of Pericles
2. The resurrection of Christ
3. The conversion of St. Paul
4. The inauguration of the Forbidden Palace by Zhu Di/Yongle.
5. Man on the Moon.
6. The end of WWII.
7. The writing of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen and signing it.

But then you would have went to hell since Christianity weren't even born yet.

False, Christianity doesn't believe that anyone before Jesus Christ went to hell. In fact, Christianity says Jesus, during the 3 days when he was dead, freed the souls of all the people from hell that didn't belong there.

Istanbul at its Prime
The Creation of the Nile about 13-17 thousands year back
Battle of Agincourt, Quebec, the Pyrimids etc
Ending of WWII in New York, Paris and London
The Fall of the Berlin War
What happened to the Dinosaurs
The sinking of the Titanic
The First Haj
Elizabeths 1588 speech
the excuetion of Louis the ???
Cornation of a strong Chinese, European, pope and Muslim leader

The battle of Trafalgar.....of course. :)

The Roman invasions of Britain.

Battle of Hastings. (how did Harold die?)

Battle of Crecy.

Battle of Agincourt.

I would love to see the Mongol invasion of Europe.

The legend of King Arthur, who was it based on?

Isandlwana, Rorke's Drift.

Overlord, Midway, Barbarossa, Kursk.

I could go on and on.

I would kill to be able to take a peek at living dinosaurs.
Other than that.... witnessing Caesar's rise first hand, writing a play with Shakespeare, 5 days of drinking with Rochester, sharing a crate of wine with Churchill, the usual...

You been watching Click havent you

Top Bottom