Rhye's of Civ [CIV3] VS Rhye's and Fall of Civ [CIV4]

Rhye's of Civ [CIV3] VS Rhye's and Fall of Civ [CIV4]. Which one the better?

• Total voters
I'm also asking myself: which one was the best compared to the original and its modding possibilites? (So, not only as absolute value: is it bigger the step from civ3 to RoC or from Civ4 to RFC?).

My opinion on Pros and Cons (I'm not counting here the aspects that are present in both, such as terrain graphics or spread of resources):

+ 31 civs, including Israel and Austria
+ Loading times reduced to 95%
+ Religions added
+ Larger map
+ Random map
+ New tech tree
+ 2nd UU
+ Many new units and buildings
+ Ethnical unit graphics
+ Removal of any inaccuracy of the original game

= All the additions made through little tricks (such as invisible resources) because Civ3 was semi-hardcoded

- AI settling in weird places
- Barbarians present only at the beginning (once killed, they wouldn't appear again)
- Civs all alive at the beginning of the game

+ Different start years
+ UPs
+ UHVs
+ Stability and collapses
+ Congresses
+ Plague
+ City naming system
+ Scripted barbarian attacks
+ Unique settlers AI
+ Independent and minor civs

= All the additions made by writing code thanks to Civ4 flexibility

- Smaller map but similar loading times
- No random map
- Almost no new units, buildings and techs

I´ve played both, and RFC is the one that satisfied my thirst for historical accuracy most.

I wasn't into mods when I played Civ3, but I'll re-install and try it out. Although, some of the huge rule differences means the mods might not be comparable.

I never played Rhye's of CivIII simply because I didn't (and don't) have CivIII Conquests. Only PTW.

I'm undecided because each had its advantages :p

id say RFC. It had more historical accuracy, the start-times thing was simply mind-blowingly cool, and I enjoyed some of the smaller details like Great Depressions and Plagues. I like mods that most accurately depict our changing world, and this did it splendidly.

Shame the speed to reach later players couldn't be improved, I know there are "pre-ones" saved by people, but I like the randomness added by waiting...

I was thinking about this very topic lately, and it certainly is a difficult one. Each is without a doubt my favorite mod for its respective game and among the best mods I have ever played for any game.

Without a doubt RFC is a better, more enjoyable product. For me it is one of the pinnacles of video game entertainment. The many adjustments and added features are nothing short of remarkable and a true testament to the correctness of Firaxis's decision to make Civ4 open source.

Civ 3 was, for me at least, a much more flawed game to begin with. As such, RoX addressed many more fundamental issues than RFC. This alone gives RoX a good amount of points for being "an improvement over its respective vanilla."

Civ 3 modding was also much more clever than Civ 4's. It was much more an exercise in puzzle solving to add a new feature compared to Civ 4's ability to straightforwardly program it in. Obviously, each has its own merits and deserves its own sort of praise.

In the end I must conclude that RoX was more of an improvement over its vanilla, mainly because Civ 3 was lacking so much in overall quality and modding capability compared to Civ 4. On the other hand, RFC is a much better overall product which has obviously had more development time devoted to it (as in hours worked by Rhye, not the life of its thread/forum). For this reason I consider RFC to all and all be, with as subjective reasoning as possible, the "greater" of the two mods.

RFC is great, the best mod I've ever played. I just love the idea of rewriting history, especially the different start years and UPs/UHVs. The stability and collapse system is simply wonderful. I played RoC a few times, and it was good, but it can't compare to RFC.

I've never played RoC because I only had PTW. Besides, I'd find it very hard to go back and play Civ3 again after playing Civ4 with Rhye's.

I've only played the Civ 4 one, but it is quite marvelous! I haven't played a ton as I have been learning how to create units and stuff, and the only thing I dislike is the plague, keeps killing my minuscule army before I can go get the French. But I will earn I guess. :) It helps too that I am England and I have quite a few ships..

But even with that I love the new concepts, and really enjoy it!

GM

Congratulations to this astonishing number of downloads! :goodjob:
That reflects the enormous quality of this wonderful mod! :)
I haven't played RoC, so I cannot compare your two mods. However, having played a number of other mods, I do think that RFC is - both in terms of historcial accuracy and game balance - one of the very best mods I ever played. I stopped "mod-hopping" after I had played RFC the first time and play it ever since.
I love the historical approach and the enormous amount of features you included to make it as accurate as possible. The unique historical goals for each civ add quite a bit, not too mention all the other larger and smaller additions you made. Playing your mod renews the experience of playing Civ4. Thanks for your hard work! :goodjob:
CellKu

The best is RFC... Mainly because i can't stand CIV3. =P

And RFC is the best mod out there, it has its features but you still feel like playing a CIV4 Game ( and for me that is good ).

But now I want to know the new Rhye's Project... Will it be better than RFC? xD

They're both excellent for the either Civ, but the better modding in 4 wins.

Both mods are great - so, undecided. But I played RoCX so-o-o much...i really doubt any mod ever could beat it for me :)

The main problem with Civ 4 RFC is a problem with Civ 4 - that only smaller maps are playable. For example, playing with a European civ, the small map really makes me feel restricted, with very few choices. Whereas in Civ 3 RoC, Europe was a huge wilderness - there was quite a distance between France and Germany, and even Portugal and Austria fit in with ease - and the rest of the world was even huger.

Also, the 4000BC start time wasn't so bad in RoC, as the timed invisible resources made it such that the civs flourished at the correct time. E.g. Portugal, even though starting at 400BC, wasn't able to make an impact on the world until around 1400.

On the other hand, Civ 4 and RFC have so much that the previous versions didn't.

So, undecided.

Top Bottom