Young people have messed up priorities or the "Puppy thrown off a cliff" thread

mrt144

Deity
1. We all know people on YouTube are the lowest form of communicating lifeforms on the web
2. so it should not surprise anyone when a bunch of them get all riled up about a puppy being thrown off a cliff.
3. The outrage is totally misplaced though because in effect all of these people are valuing the life of one puppy over any innocent iraqi that was killed in Iraq by Americans, which is a documentable fact.

Every single video about this starring some young kid and going on and on about how messed up it is that a puppy was thrown off a cliff, in the face of all the other really screwed up human misery in Iraq just makes me question everything about the humanity of youth.

1. We all know people on YouTube are the lowest form of communicating lifeforms on the web
2. so it should not surprise anyone when a bunch of them get all riled up about a puppy being thrown off a cliff.
3. The outrage is totally misplaced though because in effect all of these people are valuing the life of one puppy over any innocent iraqi that was killed in Iraq by Americans, which is a documentable fact.

Every single video about this starring some young kid and going on and on about how messed up it is that a puppy was thrown off a cliff, in the face of all the other really screwed up human misery in Iraq just makes me question everything about the humanity of youth.

haveyou ever stopped to think that the puppy was cuter than the innocent iraqi?

Who said people weren't disgusted by soldiers who derive pleasure from killing innocent Iraqis? They are mutually exclusive?

NOTE: I understand the act itself is disgusting, pleasure or not, I was just trying to maximize the analogy.

Who said people weren't disgusted by soldiers who derive pleasure from killing innocent Iraqis? They are mutually exclusive?

NOTE: I understand the act itself is disgusting, pleasure or not, I was just trying to maximize the analogy.

Apparently they are because none of these people even thought beyond the puppy in their commentary on the story. not one.

so young people are just THAT shallow and stupid?

i was being silly but on serious note is this what you would like young people to say?: " oh, that doesnt matter we've got innocent iraqis dying, hell it doesnt matter if they start smoking weed,we've got innocent iraqi's dying, in fact we should ignore every thing american soldiers do until no inncoent iraqi's are dying!"

i was being silly but on serious note is this what you would like young people to say?: " oh, that doesnt matter we've got innocent iraqis dying, hell it doesnt matter if they start smoking weed,we've got innocent iraqi's dying, in fact we should ignore every thing american soldiers do until no inncoent iraqi's are dying!"

I think that if there is going to be outrage over innocence being lost it should start with people and move down to animals. Not start with animals and end with animals.

A picture is worth a thousand words. A video is worth a 1000 statistics, simple as that.

Puppys dieing produces stronger feelings than iraqis dying. Because puppys emit a stronger sense of innocence and cuteness. Its really hard to not react more to the puppys death than an iraqi. Its only natural for humans. Perhaps you do not understand this becuase you are perhaps not human? :assimilate:

Puppys dieing produces stronger feelings than iraqis dying. Because puppys emit a stronger sense of innocence and cuteness. Its really hard to not react more to the puppys death than an iraqi. Its only natural for humans. Perhaps you do not understand this becuase you are perhaps not human? :assimilate:

It's not human to care more about human suffering than animal suffering? What am I then, God?

One of my friends heard about this video and desperately wanted to see it, excited. When I showed it to him, he laughed hysterically. He nearly fell on the floor laughing.

I think another example of people having priorities screwed up is the death threats against the family and marine himself.

It really boils down the reason the soldier is killing here. A soldier who kills an innocent Iraqi could be doing it for many reasons, like perhaps the solider thinks the innocent is a threat or that he has done something evil. With the puppy there's no possible reason for a soldier to do that other then the perverse pleasure of cruelty. It is this show of cruelty that is what makes us uneasy.

Personally, I find someone intentionally doing something cruel to a puppy more disturbing then someone unintentionally doing something cruel to a human.

Watched now, along with a montage of dog killing and making fun of kids who didn't understand english.
But to my point, I haven't seen a video of soliders deliberately killing a boy or the like, and if I did, I would be outraged, believe me. The thing here is, because people see the dogs being killed, they react to it. If they really aren't reacting to people being killed as well, then yes, it's messed up, but I haven't seen that. The dog makes people angry because it's right there, and while I'm sure they've heard stories, seeing something gives it a whole different aspect. I've heard some horror stories from Iraq, but can I believe them?
I'm not valuing dogs over people, I'm simply saying since people see this happening, it makes the whole thing very different. Also, since we're seeing the deliberate killing, and taking in joy of, killing a puppy, its no suprise that this would anger people. If there are vidoes of people being killed, then I'd expect people to feel even more angered, or at least I'd hope.

It really boils down the reason the soldier is killing here. A soldier who kills an innocent Iraqi could be doing it for many reasons, like perhaps the solider thinks the innocent is a threat or that he has done something evil. With the puppy there's no possible reason for a soldier to do that other then the perverse pleasure of cruelty. It is this show of cruelty that is what makes us uneasy.

You know you can find plenty of examples where innocent iraqis were killed for no good reason by marines or army

No good reason doesn't mean the reason was cruelty. A soldier acting irrationally under extreme circumstances is not the same as a cold calculated act of cruelty.

West's comment is also important. It's about seeing this, had this been an Iraqi child in the video, the outrage woulda been much worse.

Watched now, along with a montage of dog killing and making fun of kids who didn't understand english.
But to my point, I haven't seen a video of soliders deliberately killing a boy or the like, and if I did, I would be outraged, believe me. The thing here is, because people see the dogs being killed, they react to it. If they really aren't reacting to people being killed as well, then yes, it's messed up, but I haven't seen that. The dog makes people angry because it's right there, and while I'm sure they've heard stories, seeing something gives it a whole different aspect. I've heard some horror stories from Iraq, but can I believe them?
I'm not valuing dogs over people, I'm simply saying since people see this happening, it makes the whole thing very different. Also, since we're seeing the deliberate killing, and taking in joy of, killing a puppy, its no suprise that this would anger people. If there are vidoes of people being killed, then I'd expect people to feel even more angered, or at least I'd hope.

so people only react to what they see for their own eyes, even though they know people are dying? are people really that...dense?

No good reason doesn't mean the reason was cruelty. A soldier acting irrationally under extreme circumstances is not the same as a cold calculated act of cruelty.

West's comment is also important. It's about seeing this, had this been an Iraqi child, the outrage woulda been much worse.

except for the fact that marines have, in fact, murdered and raped innocent iraqis

so people only react to what they see for their own eyes, even though they know people are dying? are people really that...dense?

On such a gut level that they might make death threats, yes.

I mean most people intellectually know that the death of an innocent Iraqi is worse then that of a puppy, but what we're talking about here is making irrational death threats, not rational actions.

Top Bottom