New Cumulative history Quiz VII

This is really strange, knowing that I have no chance i tried googling it, but that didn't help.

There are only two reasons I can think of for sinking a current major combat vessel:
a) scuttling a crippled ship
b) hostile forces seized it (i.e. a mutiny)

A block ship would almost certainly be an older and/or weaker vessel unless the situation was desperate, and outside of WWII I can't think of any time when that is likely.

Unless it is an poor navy with older ships, then maybe they wanted to dispose of it (i.e. they had an antiquated cruiser that was still more powerful then the rest of the fleet, but not worth running).

The Danes of WWII scuttled their entire navy to keep it away from the naxis

@Civ King - No, not a major power.

@say1988 - Yep, this question is Google-proof.
Your reasoning is generally sound, but it doesn't cover quite all contingencies. Scuttling, for whatever reason, was definitely not the motive behind the sinking.

@ civ editor11 - Not the Danes, either.

This is really strange, knowing that I have no chance i tried googling it, but that didn't help.

There are only two reasons I can think of for sinking a current major combat vessel:
a) scuttling a crippled ship
b) hostile forces seized it (i.e. a mutiny)

A block ship would almost certainly be an older and/or weaker vessel unless the situation was desperate, and outside of WWII I can't think of any time when that is likely.

Unless it is an poor navy with older ships, then maybe they wanted to dispose of it (i.e. they had an antiquated cruiser that was still more powerful then the rest of the fleet, but not worth running).

It could also be a nation that lost its seacoast (hence my guess of Austria), which signed a naval limitations treaty or didn't want a hostile nation capturing it.

Someone like Cuba during their revolution, perhaps?

Perhaps Spain during the civil war? The air forces and navy were on different sides perhaps?

NeoCon, go ask something in the general knowledge quiz in the forum games

It's not usually enforced, at least if people keep guessing. Try to give hint instead.

I guess I could keep letting this roll on, but since I seem to have everybody stumped, here's the answer:

During the 1951 Manhattan Coup, Officers of the Royal Thai Navy seized Prime Minister Plaek Pibulsonggram (Pibun, for short) and held him hostage aboard their flagship, HTMS Si Ayutthaya. The Royal Thai Army and Royal Thai Police (actually as formidable as the Army, if not more so), totally disregarding their erstwhile PM's safety, proceeded to call upon the Royal Thai Air Force to bomb the Si Ayutthaya, which the Air Force duly did. Pibun survived; the ship didn't.

I asked this same question on the totalwar.org forums and nobody got it there either.

New question. This one should be a lot easier:

Who was the first explorer to survey enough of Antarctica to prove it a continent instead of merely a collection of islands?

was thi a US navy guy by the name of Wilkes?

Top Bottom