spies.. are -- fun? How to prevent enemy spy activity?

parachute4u

Warlord
A mine has been destroyed!
A camp has been destroyed!
A granary in ... has been destroyed!
A farm has been destroyed!

For me, it is not uncommon to receive 2 or 3 messages every turn mid-/late-game (for 100+ turns!). It is annoying + it is effective, sort of... Charly (huge, backwards and preparing to attack since 1000BC) is destroying a harbor, granary, costums house, sabotaging iron works production etc. It really hurts... An ivory camp got pillaged by his spies at least 20 times, gold mines are destroyed (and I notice 10+ turns later, because I have to take care of other AI`s who are huge like Charly, but who are NOT backwards and who might be building nukes :cry:...)

I am out of ideas as to how to prevent enemy spy activity.

Things I did:

1) cancel open borders (helped a little bit)
1a) revolt into mercantilism
2) station spies in the capital and in border cities (didn´t help at all)
3) park a spy on top of the ivory (didn´t help)
4) perform counterespionage (didn´t do much, though I caught a bunch of spies afterwards)

What else can I do? Does it help to focus espionage points on him?

Espionage really messes with my games... It has happened many times that I started a war in order to eradicate a minor/beaten/defeated/backward/or otherwise insignificant civilization for the sole reason to get rid of their hordes of spies invading my lands!

When I go to war now, I feel kind of forced to either vassalize or annihilate my opponent. If I let them live they will make my life like living hell. Sometimes they even shut down research alltogether and go 100% offshore guerilla from abroad :crazyeye:

How do you guys handle those spies? Ignore them? Build more workers? Any help/tipps would be very much appreciated :)

A mine has been destroyed!
A camp has been destroyed!
A granary in ... has been destroyed!
A farm has been destroyed!

Things I did:

1) cancel open borders (helped a little bit)
1a) revolt into mercantilism
2) station spies in the capital and in border cities (didn´t help at all)
3) park a spy on top of the ivory (didn´t help)
4) perform counterespionage (didn´t do much, though I caught a bunch of spies afterwards)
I think you have done right those steps, so what is the problem :confused:
Ah I will ask my brother for answer. he is good at this game :)

Top Bottom