The Modding Wiki

Did I mention the plenty of time part? "Hey Ares, will you please stop working on your terrain project so you can write up how you do it in the wiki. Hey tom2050, will you please stop converting all those units until you've laid out the basics in a wiki article." It could happen.

Stop the terrain project? Stop the converts?! Oh the blasphemy!!! ;)

Let us know what you have in mind... and if everyone takes part on specific topics, we could probably bust it out in very short time.

There are some moderator duties that pushed everything to the side. Like Verizon suddenly deciding to block every email to me from CFC. That's getting sorted out. At least the quick fix. & that isn't the most time consuming one that's cropped up in the last few days.

But the thinking cap's still on. I want to construct at least one brief sample page in the wiki with all the desired elements so everyone will see what I'm talking about when the plan of attack is posted here. Days away from posting, I hope. First responsibility to C3 C&C as a whole is the next announcement, this one strong 2nd.

Hi Blue,

Are you still working with the Wiki? A series of posts in the main forum recently reminded me about this Wiki, and I had forgotten just how comprehensive it had become. Unfortunately, when I tried to create an account, it went to a screen that implied that I was a spammer. Total fail. I thought I should talk to someone before trying again, but you are the closest thing to a 'contact' on this matter listed anywhere. Why, for god's sake, does it require a new account for CivFanatics members when it's owned by CivFanatics?

I got an error when trying to sign up as follows:

AHBL (127.0.0.2 - Open Relay) TRUE
Fatal error: Call to undefined method OutputPage::errorPage() in /usr/local/etc/httpd/modiki.civfanatics.com/extensions/Check_Spammers/CheckSpambots.php on line 81

Actually, I think I already had an account, but either the password reset isn't working, or I don't remember the email account associated with it, and apparently I didn't use the same password I currently have for CFC. I do agree that it's silly (from a functional perspective) that it requires a separate login - that couldn't have helped its adoption. Visibility of the Wiki isn't great, either - it wouldn't surprise me if most CFC members don't know it exists.

I'm actually not sure if it's functional at all beyond a read-only state. I looked at the history for a number of the top-level pages, including in Civ4 and Civ5 sections, and didn't see anything after 2013. At this point, I'd want some assurance from the CFC/modiki admins that it's maintained, and preferably also shared logins with CFC, before investing too much in it. The idea's good, but the implementation isn't great, and I don't think the technical back-end of it has really been updated much since it was first added. My guess is it's actually a completely different software package from the forums, too, which would explain the separate logins.

I didnt really know about the Wiki. Modiki sounds a bit weird to me and doesnt stand out. Would be nice also if there was a link to it in each Customization forum not just in the menu bar.

The Wiki I think also needs a bit more organization and easier navigation.

:bump:

I've been going through the sticky threads and thinking a bit about which ones should we keep, and which ones should we unsticky? Expect a thread about that later this winter. But as part of that, I tried logging on to the Modiki, and was surprised to find that it worked. I was even able to update a page successfully.

It looks like new account creation remains disabled, but for anyone who has their login from way back when, the Modiki is back.

So that brings up the question - now that editing is possible again, is there any interest in the Modiki? At this point the Civ3 section is primarily a directory of links to CFC threads. Though that does have some value of its own. Unfortunately some of the links (especially ones to outside of CFC) have rotted over the past decade - for instance I just removed a link to AtomicGamer as a file hosting service option.

I'm expecting the answer to be "no" given the limited scope of our build-out back when it was new... but thought I should at least inquire after discovering it's no longer in full hibernation mode.

Hmmm. Perhaps it could be of help for the new civ project.

General question:

I've created two units in my mod both sharing the same technology prerequisite. One both units have the same PRTO and the same entry in the PediaIcons.txt file but one unit is cheaper than the other. The expensive unit requires oil to be made. The cheaper unit does not require oil or any other resource to make. I have set the cheaper unit to upgrade to the more expensive unit.

Why is only the expensive unit showing up in my city build queue? Shouldn't I see both options?

If you can build the upgrade of a unit, then the non-upgraded unit won't show up since it's "obsolete". If you then lose access to the resource to build the upgraded unit, you'll see the non-upgraded one show up instead. If you want to have them both available, you can't have one upgrade into the other.

That makes sense and explains why I saw what I saw in my mod. I will have to come up with another way as for what I am trying to accomplish is to have both units available at the same time but the cheaper unit must have the option to upgrade to the expensive unit.

Top Bottom