Beta: The Epic Mod of Epic Proportions

Yeah the civilopedia needs a lot of work. Will be fixed though.

Pedia is always a massive effort in mods. Right now thigns will be easy to find in the thread, but a year from now it may be too large for new players to peruse.

I am not clear on the settler. I tried to send one to a tundra tile and it would not give a move count. If I move it to a tundra with trees, it gives a move count. Neither had a road. Does it mean they just cannot travel over tundra, but cannot distinguish tundra wiht trees?

Does that mean a settler cannot settle on tundra, but can if it has trees? This was how it worked in CCM. I think that is unfair for the AI. They will not plant trees to found a town, but humnas will.

They may plant a forest and later found a town, but it will be an accident.

I am not a fan of restriction on settling as it does not accomplish anything useful and makes it a pain to have large chunks of land out of bounds. On massive maps, even mountains cause great problems as you can have scores of mountains massed together.

I would have prefered Firaxis had allowed terraforming of mountains down to hills. Mountains are not and issue on maps of std or less size.

I noticed that someone was making Oracle and Stonehedge. I figured I would see what StoneHedge did. I see it required Astrology? Not on the tech tree.

It requires something called Europe and a temple in that city. I was unable to find exactly what Europe meant. I figure it was some tile resource, so I traded maps to see what was around the town.

I did not see anything. I am playing Greece, so that is surely a European country. I see that Stonehedge is a world wonder and gives two techs, so I am sitting on my second SGL, lets ace them out.

Not going to happen as I have no access to Astrology, so could you explain what the deal is on this one, thanks.

Okay, the way culture specific wonders work is with the addition of culture-specific techs, the European one being "Europe" and a bonus being "Deep Europe". The Greeks, being a Mediterranean civ, are awarded the tech "Mediterranean" and the tech "Europe". So, becuase Astrology requires both the techs Europe and Deep Europe, the Greeks cannot research Astrology, but can research every other European tech (that require Europe of course, as all of them do.). This was created to avoid wonders such as Stonehenge the Oracle from being built by the Greeks. But becuase there were so few wonders specifically for Mediterranean civs, I gave them the ability to research European techs (and therefore, build European wonders) as well.

As for where the tech Astrology is, it's under the tech "Grand Temples" and is invisible to those that did not receive the techs Europe and Deep Europe.

I am not clear on the settler. I tried to send one to a tundra tile and it would not give a move count. If I move it to a tundra with trees, it gives a move count. Neither had a road. Does it mean they just cannot travel over tundra, but cannot distinguish tundra wiht trees?

Does that mean a settler cannot settle on tundra, but can if it has trees? This was how it worked in CCM. I think that is unfair for the AI. They will not plant trees to found a town, but humnas will.

They may plant a forest and later found a town, but it will be an accident.

I am not a fan of restriction on settling as it does not accomplish anything useful and makes it a pain to have large chunks of land out of bounds. On massive maps, even mountains cause great problems as you can have scores of mountains massed together.

I would have prefered Firaxis had allowed terraforming of mountains down to hills. Mountains are not and issue on maps of std or less size.

As for the distinguishing between tundra and forests, that is hardcoded and cannot be changed.

I restricted settling becuase, think about it, cities have always been founded where? Where there is food. Not in the middle of a desert (unless there is an oasis around) not in tundra (unless it is by the coast and the city can fish) and certainly not ever in the mountains. Now, of course in the modern era, people have branched out to include all these areas, with the help of modern technology. There is no way to simulate that in the game.

Now, the other reason there is a restriction on the settling is to reduce the number of cities on the map. This decreases turn-times and also makes the game more realistic. (Especially in ancient times, not every place on the planet was inhabited by a technologically, socially and economically advanced civilization. This is what the "barbarian" tribes are for.)

Plus, forests do cover a terrain type, but count as their own terrain type until you cut them down. You can change the stats for the base terrain (grassland, tundra, plains) and the stats for the forest-types terrains (forest, jungle, marsh).

I'm not being harsh, just informative. :goodjob: ;)

I do not have any issue with either concept, it is your mod. My problem is that I had no way of knowing these things. I had a pretty good idea those were the facts.

Settlers cannot travel over tundra, without a road. Can't settle on it, without a forest. No problem, I can build those things.

As to turns times, I see many mods raise turn times as an issue. I say forget turn times. I would also say forget realism as Civ is not very well adapted for it. AOI implemented lots of things to shave turn times and still many whined about it.

AOI and CCM still got the times complaint and added the complaints about overseas trades and issues with founding towns.

LIke I said, it is your mod, you do it as you like. I just want to know the rules, before I make choices.

BTW I like some of the little structures. I was scratching my head tryingbto figure out, if I had a video issue with the little gold cross on a mountain. Then it dawned on me that was for a barracks in that town.

I also think the tech tree branching arrows are about the best ones I have seen.

Edit:
for others that may play, note that settlers, at least non native ones, cannot found towns on jungle.

That's what I'm here for, to give answers. ;)

As for those tech tree arrows, thanks. They were actually very easy to make and I didn't mess at all with the palette to change the colors. Just copied and pasted, and the arrows came out their own colors. Very cool.

The barracks, airfield and harbor symbols are among the best i've seen. They were made by Pounder I believe.

It is true that Civ s not a realism game engine. It's simulation.

Well I will keep trying to put in a little time to see, what I can find for you to look at. I just having been hard pressed to put downmy RPG games lately. I fire this up and put in some time and then want to go back and level up my hero.

Next month will be worse as a new King's Bounty comes out and then Civ5. I am still trying to talk myself into waiting on both. Civ4 let me down, but if you don't get it at the start, I may never get it. So I will have to see.

Are you still working on Aeon as well as this one?

Engineering says that it allows wokers to plant forest. Plantation does not mention it. If you look at worker actions, it says requires engineering. Look further down and it has requires advance and list Plantation.

The serf pedia says improves and list plant forest. The worker action says plains and grass nothing about tundra. I have not been able to try these yet, so I am not sure what is correct.

I have tried to plant on a grass tile and no action button for that. So my question is will no class of worker be able to plant a forest or what is the restriction? Peasant, Serf and Civil Engineer all
say the same thing in that regard.

Does it actually require Plantation, rather than Engineering?

Edit: Yes it actually needs Plantation.

Edit2: They can plant forest in tundra.

How can one tell, if they have the Europe flag? Earlier I discovered that I could not research a tech as I did not have Europe and Deep Europe.

I see that Music requires Europe, but I was able to research it. Looking up Europe, it list things it allows, but not how to tell who has it.

Well, as for who has it, the civs in the European culture group should have it. You know, the obvious ones, Britain, Russia, Germany, Scandinavia.

Oh, well yeah then. I told you that all the Mediterranean civs (Greeks, Romans) also have the European techs becuase there would be two few wonders to build if they could only build the Mediterranean wonders. Not to mention that they are technically part of Europe.

What is needed is when the icon for Europe is selected in addition to the list of things it leads to, a list of the nations that have that flavor. I have grasped that I am considered Europe, what I don't know is who else is and who has Deep Europe, as I would have expected Greeks to be in that list as well.

Ok. So the civilopedia needs work. Now, think about it. Is Greece "deep in Europe". And do you really want to see the Romans building Stonehenge?

What I don't want to see is that a wonder that grants two advances is not available to all. I am fine, if some wonders are restricted, but not two free techs. Deep Europe is arbitrary, so I have no concept of what nations is should apply to or not appy.

The thing is it would be nice to know, so choices would undertaken with some validity and usefulness. I am just giving you my perspective, it is nothing more and you can do with as you see fit. Saying the pedia needs some work is not useful. What would be useful is to say you intent to add something on a given subject or that you do not see it as valid, even if the change never takes place. I say that as I do not know from the response, if you think it has merit.

Top Bottom