Why can't my navy move through this CS?

darkpigraph

Chieftain
I built two galleasses in a coastal city on an inland sea, Ragusa is aliied and on a 1-tile strip just South. I am allied with them. Upgrade to Frigates upon researching Navigation and now it seems as though my frigates can't move through the city state towards the oceans. In my experience naval units could always move through friendly cities on a 1-tile strip before so i didn't even give it a second thought to build them where i did. Is there a special rule for for city states or did the game's rules change or anything? This is kind of annoying because those frigates are useless now.

Is this GNK or BNW? I think you can only move through citystates in BNW, although I could be mistaken.

There must be a Ragusa ship on either that tile or the one adjacent to the city that you can't see. Move a land unit over to investigate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's BNW. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a ship garrisoned in the city. My cargo ship is clearly seen on the other side of Ragusa and it's running from the same port the frigates were built in. I'm mystified!

He doesn't mean garrisoned in the city, he means there may be a unit occupying the square you want to move to, making it an illegal move. Otherwise, it looks legal to me.

Well I don't recall ever being able to move ships through other civs cities or city states. And judging by that picture looks like you still can't.

You could move ships through City-States certainly in GnK and I believe prior to the BNW Fall Patch, but for some reason they changed that. Completely dumb change, in my opinion, but...

Well I don't recall ever being able to move ships through other civs cities or city states.

Sure you can, but often it is blocked, and for reasons that are not always obvious, so I try not to depend upon it.

I think UTBear nailed it, and there is a unit you cannot see that you are tried to move onto. That Frigate has a move of 7, so you would think there would be a free tile somewhere in that range.

The screen-shot shows that the city is unoccupied. Is that required? Could there be a submarine blocking the path?

To you guys saying that the tile he wants to move to could be occupied, if you look at the screen shot you can see the tile he is hovering over and he has a clear LOS on it. It is empty, so that isn't the problem.

The city of Ragusa also has no units in it so that's not it either.

The crossbowmen wouldn't be forcing ZoC onto the frigate would it? You would think that allied units don't block movement with ZoC...but that's the only thing I can come up with short of simply not being allowed to move through the city at all.

if you look at the screen shot you can see the tile he is hovering over and he has a clear LOS on it

How can you be so sure he has LOS to that tile? Would the frigate not need to be one hex closer? (Which is open, so not sure why he didn't try that.) Also, might there not be a submarine at this stage of the game?

How can you be so sure he has LOS to that tile? Would the frigate not need to be one hex closer? (Which is open, so not sure why he didn't try that.) Also, might there not be a submarine at this stage of the game?

There is no Fog of war, the tile is lit up. If you look farther away you see the tiles become dark, unseen. He can see it through Ragusa's LoS since he is their ally. I suppose their could be a submarine. But he just got frigates and is researching economics. So he would have to be REALLY far behind for their to be a sub there. Also, the CS would probably have more advanced units as well if one of the AI was at the level to use submarines

Maybe that Composite Bowman on the Silk is glitched out. City-States do love putting their range units inside their city.

A submarine in 1260 AD? :confused:

That sounds strange. A another reason to bring a canal feature in CiV. But cargo ship are allowed to pass CS?

I notice Genghis is going to invade the mercantile CS in the south-west.

I believe you can only move through the city home tile itself, so adjust your target move to a tile directly adjacent to the city. You can't simply move through a one-tile isthmus unless its the city home tile itself.

U could never move ships through CS. Only cargo ships. But you could move land units. It has always been like that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I've encountered the same problem as well.

And I think that's why he's moving his Frigates there.

"-I need to send my navy to rescue this CS, let me go!
-Sorry, the Ragusa Canal is on strike, please take the other way"

edit: this situation reminds me the siege of Paris
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Paris_(885%E2%80%9386)

Vikings boats were not allowed to sail the river Seine through Paris to pillage east of France, so they carried them on land to bypass the city.

I have an easy solution....

Make it an offer it can't refuse.... ;) :hammer:

That's correct. Annexation happened to that city state that refused to grant me passage despite being allies xD

Top Bottom