News: TSG105 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 105
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the One Hundred and Fifth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Intentional use of the Science Overflow Bug is banned. Its use will result in your game being disqualified for results.

In this game, the designated VC is Science. All VCs are enabled but results will be published by fastest Science victory turn.

In this game you will play as Gandhi and lead the Indian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized Pangaea map played at Deity difficulty and at standard pace. Science is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until April 1st to complete the game and submit.

Please note that this is a One City Challenge (OCC) game being played at Deity difficulty.

Civ V BNW - TSG105 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Gandhi - India
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 20
Map type: Pangaea
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Deity
Game pace: Standard
Game options: This is a One City Challenge (OCC) game! Quick Combat is disabled. (You may turn it on using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279. DLC is required for this game. You must have Mongolia, Wonders of the Ancient World, Gods & Kings and Brave New World.

In this game, you will be playing as India, you possess Population Growth. Unhappiness from number of Cities doubled, Unhappiness from number of Citizens halved.

You can train the War Elephant, it replaces the Chariot Archer. The War Elephant has a higher Combat and Ranged strength than the Chariot Archer. It can move through any terrain without the Chariot Archer's penalty, but it is vulnerable to the Spearman. The War Elephant requires that you discover the technology of The Wheel and does not require a resource to build them.

You can also build the the Mughal Fort, it replaces the Castle. The Mughal Fort increases the City's Defense Strength by 7, Hit Points by 25 and provides some Culture every turn. After you learn Flight, it provides +2 Tourism as well. You must have built Walls in your city before it can be built. The Mughal Fort requires that you discover the technology of Chivalry and you do not need a resource to build them.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Wednesday, 1 April 2015.

The save will be available for download on 1 March 2015, midnight Central Daylight time (UTC -6:00) in the US.
The Save can be found here.

I sense a spectacular failure looming in my future. I generally play emperor or lower. I have never done a OCC. I cant even see a viable stratagey... Liberty for the GS, but its getting the pop up that looks impossible. I suppose there will have to be farms on the available hills.

Oooh, I'm excited for this one. Definitely a big challenge.

Moving and settling near the mountain seems like a necessity. Just west of it seems best.

I also expect a Grand failure. Never played OCC before. We cannot even puppet cities or raze foreign cities, right?

The question is where to settle. Moving 1SE keeps the lake for the garden.

Moving W of the mountain keeps all resources in the 3rd ring, but all the resources are far away.

Tough choice

Looks like great start for OCC :) (anyone who settle city not next to mountain doesn't really understand what OCC means, especially with designated SV)

This will be a tough one for me, I've never played a OCC yet, and I've yet to play on deity! ( I play Immortal I believe in my own games)

keeps all resources in the 3rd ring,
This is fine for me, I usually have kind of OCD to get as many resources as possible and no overlapping 3rd ring tiles in my cities, because late game, I need them all :D. 3rd ring is just as good as 2nd or first ring for me :D.

I'd also be very very tempted to settle west of the mountain, for the mountain wonders, and salt is close enough ( one goody hut and you can buy the tile so meh).

Still, ugh, very annoying how I have to settle the ''perfect location'', think I'd move the warrior to top left or top of the settler to see what I'd be missing out (behind the sheep and salt) for settling next to the mountain, and make my decision on that.
1 east of the lake looks nice too, but my gamble is that there are more resources to the east :D. Starting position is a no-go for me, I want the extra hammer and defence bonus! Area DOES look nice though, I like hills, hammers hammer hammers, especially in a OCC you need to be able to build a lot, quick, in the capital!

EDIT: science victory, so basically observatory is better than garden imho.

Not today though, it's 4am and I should go to sleep :lol:.

This will be a tough one for me, I've never played a OCC yet, and I've yet to play on deity! ( I play Immortal I believe in my own games)

<snip>

Not today though, it's 4am and I should go to sleep :lol:.
If you have never tried an OCC, encourage you to try one. :help:

Also, game doesn't start until 1 March, so no playing this one tonight.
Have a great :sleep:

Great production and a mountain but not a whole lot of food, just three 4-food tiles on the screenshot, no river or granary resources. Temple of Artemis around t30 should be a somewhat safe bet even on Deity right? I'm thinking of a 2 scout -> ToA opening for this one.

India OCC! Happiness will be a non-issue
But aaargh : mountain or freshwater

ToA (and hopefully HG) are indeed very strong in an OCC game. Going Tradition->Aristocracy for faster wonders seems like a viable option.

Hopefully i won't mess this one up by forgetting to disable EUI for the third GOTM in a row :wallbash: unless EUI is considered an acceptable "mod" as it's an UI reskin. I've seen screenshots of submitted games that definitely used it but in the past i know you stated that even UI only mods were not allowed.

My biggest concern would be some jerk forward settling to take those 3rd ring tiles.

Hopefully i won't mess this one up by forgetting to disable EUI for the third GOTM in a row :wallbash: unless EUI is considered an acceptable "mod" as it's an UI reskin. I've seen screenshots of submitted games that definitely used it but in the past i know you stated that even UI only mods were not allowed.
I have been assured EUI does not affect game play in any way, it only changes how the information is displayed. While we do not support it, we also have not cracked down on its use. Should you use it, you will not be DQ'ed.

Will have to tackle this one late, as I am on flying. I will walk the settler and warrior and look around 4-5 turns before settling. OCC, starting position is essential and I have seen an evil streak in the GOTM map designs, so just want to check out the surroundings.

<snip> I have seen an evil streak in the GOTM map designs, so just want to check out the surroundings.
Who, us? :love:

Always a good idea. :scan:
There is a saying in Civ4 circles that you should never trust a game designer. :)

:shifty:

Ok for practise I started a OCC game on Deity myself.
I was shocked to discover, the AI CAN build more than one city!! I though OCC meant one city for ALL players...

How on earth can you win this ? I'll try to play this game, because I'm curious as to how others play it compared to me, but damn.

I have a capital with loads of production, TOA, Hanging Gardens, en 35% in other food bonusses ( religion and stuff) and still my opponents 2nd city is 1 pop bigger than my cap :(. I have 11 world wonders vs 12 of the ai.

How am I supposed to win this when I'm outnumbered, out-teched, etc :( ? The AI is a passive AI that doesn't care about attacking me ( been at war with him once to nick a worker and he just wanted peace without ever sending military at me).

Now my practise game is on a duel size with 1 opponent, 7 deity's vs my own meager city is suicide! I like playing by out-producing/ better micromanaging than the AI, that is however completely impossible in an OCC if the ai can just chuck around new towns all around :(.

Yep, OCC is only for the player

OCC depends a lot on the map. It's simply impossible to win without very good terrain unless you are Babylon or Korea so you need to find that perfect spot. Now if Ironfighter writes that
Looks like great start for OCC :)
You might not have to move to far for that perfect spot (still, no freshwater by the mountain ... :sad:)
Mountain is important for the observatory. With only one city you need that +50% science.

You need to grow as big as you can without TRs so ToA and Hanging Gardens are much better here than in most games. Maritime CS are also very good (but being friend is enough if you can't get an easy alliance as you don't need food in other cities, if you have an easy alliance take it it's still +1 food)
Obviously your TRs will be sent to other civs for some nice science boost that will help you. You won't need much gold as you won't have many buildings (few cities), not many troops, nearly no roads (i often build one or 2 road tiles to help defend) so you should use TRs to maximize science and not gold
You can't totally forget about military as your huge wonder-filled city with small army will be tempting for the AI. On the bright side you don't have much land to defend and if you ever capture a city, it's insta-razed so you don't need to defend it. It's easy to clean your surroundings of those annoying AI cities

That is an advantage I guess over my practise game, 20 CS's which means there are bound to be maritime states in there.

I completely agree though HG is a must and TOA is also quite needed, need good prod.

Thinking just 2 scouts early on, perhaps a worker and then go for TOA and HG immediately after.

The disadvantage meaning more ai's to DoW you and beat you to wonders :(.

I did notice that with 1 city, happyness is really easy to manage, let alone as India.

I completely agree though HG is a must and TOA is also quite needed, need good prod.
Food wise, ToA can be stronger than HG on the long run and is easier to get if you beeline Archery as AIs don't prioritize it as much as other early wonders (apart from some games where it's first wonder to get built T30) it's often a T40+ wonder while GL or SH are T35-40 while they come with a later tech and can't be started as early by the player.

OTOH, HG is the only way to get a Garden without freshwater but can go as early as T50 or as late as T80 so really it's a throw of a coin whether you get it or not which is a bit sad as it could make a big difference on number of Great Scientists and finish time in such an OCC game :(

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Do I "ONLY" select science victory or keep all the victories up? I roll the game to the exact specifications and never get the same starting point.

Top Bottom