If Scenarios Were Updated

Now that Civ V has come a long way with BNW, one can easily look back at earlier scenarios and see them as fairly rough and awkward as they haven't been updated. I think that should maybe be fixed and the various scenarios updated to work better with BNW and in general.

1066: Year of Viking Destiny - While this one can be a bit bland and uninteresting, it's probably one of the more accurate and functional ones from the DLC. There are a few iffy points though. I do think there should be culture just because adopting policies always presents an interesting strategic choice - do you pump out more units, or invest in culture buildings for potentially more helpful buffs? Obviously there would be one tree for England, one for the Vikings and maybe even a separate one for Normandy or so. Otherwise, everyone should start with full map knowledge because meeting all those outside city-states is inconvenient and impractical, and there should be more strategic purpose to Hadrian's Wall, as it stands it's just an odd thing sitting there for no real reason. And of course update combat mechanics and influence stuff. Maybe even give the Celts a presence in Ireland and have them be playable, I don't know what they would do though.

Rise of the Mongols - AUGH WHY IS GANDHI LEADING INDIA SHOULDN'T IT BE THE DELHI SULTANATE ANYWAY ...that aside, I kinda wish you could play as other people beside the Mongols, with your main aim to...not be taken over by the hordes of Keshiks, and each of those civs could have their own unique things relevant to either defense (such as how the Delhi Sultanate managed to continually fend off the Mongols) or culture. Maybe make changed policy trees, I like those generally speaking, and they'd fit with this scenario - the Mongols get a super offensively-focused one with options for improving trade networks, while everyone else has defense and culture-based ones, and they win by adopting policy trees. Maybe even add in Korea as an opponent civ instead of a city-state.

Paradise Found - Eh, this one feels okay-ish as it is? It's not a big offender of many things. Update the combat mechanics and city-state influence, put in trade routes, and maybe make the victory condition less about social policies and more about Tourism, since the goal is to become the dominant Polynesian culture, which BNW's culture victory represents at large.

Samurai Invasion of Korea - Change the leader names to be more historically accurate, update combat stuff, not much needed here, it's pretty straightforward. Granted it's a somewhat odd scenario and not particularly dynamic, but eh.

Wonders of the Ancient World - Add in Sumer and the Hittites as civs! This is something of an odd scenario, very...anachronistic, and I'm not sure what to think of it. The core mechanic updates are needed, yes, but...other things feel a bit conflicting. I don't know what to do with this one.

And so on and so on. Leave thoughts here!

You have some good ideas here. I don't know that I would want all of the features necessarily incorporated into all of the scenarios. Some would be irrelevant (like religion in the Viking Conquest, for example). What I would really like is just to see the 100hp for units to be included. I'm worried this would break a scenario like Rise of the Mongols or Year of Viking Conquest by making them un-winnable but I think it would make Korea especially, more interesting. It would also make Conquest of the New World better, I think since embarked units can stack and defend themselves.

Trade routes and BNW culture victory are a great idea for the Polynesia scenario and I liked your thoughts on how to make the other civs playable in Rise of the Mongols and how the victory condition could be survival. The Korea scenario is probably my favorite but I think playing as Korea or China is too easy (even on Deity) and Japan or Manchu too hard. I think updating the mechanics (100hp+embarked defend) would make it much more fun and balance the invaders.

I haven't played much of the Viking or Wonders scenarios so I can't really offer comments there but all in all I think you have some good thoughts here!

You have some good ideas here. I don't know that I would want all of the features necessarily incorporated into all of the scenarios. Some would be irrelevant (like religion in the Viking Conquest, for example). What I would really like is just to see the 100hp for units to be included. I'm worried this would break a scenario like Rise of the Mongols or Year of Viking Conquest by making them un-winnable but I think it would make Korea especially, more interesting. It would also make Conquest of the New World better, I think since embarked units can stack and defend themselves.

Trade routes and BNW culture victory are a great idea for the Polynesia scenario and I liked your thoughts on how to make the other civs playable in Rise of the Mongols and how the victory condition could be survival. The Korea scenario is probably my favorite but I think playing as Korea or China is too easy (even on Deity) and Japan or Manchu too hard. I think updating the mechanics (100hp+embarked defend) would make it much more fun and balance the invaders.

I haven't played much of the Viking or Wonders scenarios so I can't really offer comments there but all in all I think you have some good thoughts here!

Considering that people were baffled about how to get the achievement for losing as Korea on the scenario, and yeah, it's waaaay too easy for them and China. I haven't played the scenario much, so I'll need to investigate it to know exactly what's up with it.

The main thing I'd change if the scenarios were updated (that I can see being updated, I'd like to update the leaderscreens but that's probably too much work for Firaxis to spend on the scenarios) is an update to the 100HP system, really bugs me when playing old scenarios

The main thing I'd change if the scenarios were updated (that I can see being updated, I'd like to update the leaderscreens but that's probably too much work for Firaxis to spend on the scenarios) is an update to the 100HP system, really bugs me when playing old scenarios

Ooh yes, putting in static, more accurate leaderscreens like with the Civil War and Viking scenarios would be nice, if only because it's a bit annoying to meet Saladin and see him introduce himself as Askia of the Songhai, Leopold to be speaking Brazilian and Paul Kruger talking about freedom and bald eagles (wasn't there a rumor that they actually recorded Flemish and Belgian voices for them?), alongside Giuseppe wearing attire a few millenia out of date.

Top Bottom