Greek flip city state without money?

noontide

Warlord
how's that possible? I'm playing an Immortal game, Greek DoW on me, and proceeded to flip my city state ally one by one. He's running negative on Money, had but five cities, i don't know how he did it. Case in point, I sacked a city state previously captured by another Civ, liberated it and it became my ally. The very next turn, it became ally of Greek's and DoW on me, am I missing something?

Assign a spy to a CS of your choice. Every 15 (or 30?) turns, your spy will attempt to rig elections which have a chance of conducting a coup, turning the CS into your ally.

You should get a notification that your influence fell in the city state following recent elections, if that is the cause.

1. Great Merchants
2. Coups
3. Election Rigs

Also

4. Natural decline...

Your influence with a CS will drop at ~ 1 per turn (standard speed) For Greece that is 0.5 per turn

so if you have 120 influence and Greece has 110.... in 30 turns, you will have 90 influence and Greece will have 95 (making them the ally)

There are also
5. Quests

Greek has UA bonus for CS so their relationship delcay will be less than yours. Add in religion bonus, and Patronage bonus and they could be losing influence at only 1/4 your rate so natural decay will bump them as allies over you.

They are very dangerous on the CS circuit. Beware.

Spies work on city states during war-time. You can check your %-chance to coup by hovering over the "coup" button.

Few ways. If he's Autocracy, Gunboat Diplomacy. If Freedom traderoutes, but seeing he is negative gold that's a little unlikely. He also gets 50% less degradation so he can overtake you just overtime if you are in the lead by very little.

Few ways. If he's Autocracy, Gunboat Diplomacy. If Freedom traderoutes, but seeing he is negative gold that's a little unlikely. He also gets 50% less degradation so he can overtake you just overtime if you are in the lead by very little.

Good catch, forgot about ideology modifiers. Freedom has a policy as well that gives you increased influence over decay per turn just from having a trade route.

Isn't city states set at -60 when at war anyway. It wouldn't matter if an election happened or Greece was only a few influence below you and the decay mattered. The only matter of decay is your own from dropping from ALLY to Friend.

Now if your talking you were at Friend Status (but not ALLY), they don't declare war with other civs until ALLY status so Greece could very easily have done the above suggestions.

Once peace is declared, the penalty is removed. Used to be that the penalty is applied permanently and I did use this against greece once. bought up as many of his allies as I could, then DoW.

Isn't city states set at -60 when at war anyway. It wouldn't matter if an election happened or Greece was only a few influence below you and the decay mattered. The only matter of decay is your own from dropping from ALLY to Friend.

Now if your talking you were at Friend Status (but not ALLY), they don't declare war with other civs until ALLY status so Greece could very easily have done the above suggestions.

They changed it so that if you don't actually go beat up and kill units from that CS the -60 is symbolic and your real influence still keeps ticking. So if say before the war you were ally by 5-10, in a few turns without gold gift he would overtake you.

Top Bottom