[CIV 5 Issues] - The complete list

AI: AI spread its units to thin when planning an invasion. Often the AI attack multiple cities with a force that can be defeated. The AI would have better luck in capturing cities if they used all their units to attack a single city.

- Razing cities is way too beneficial. There is no downside ("You razed one of our cities!") & there is no reason to keep 90% of cities you conquer (I'd raze most Capitals if I could).

Razing cities prevents you from building a national wonder most of the time and razes cities increase your culture requirements for social policies until they're gone. They also cause unhappiness as if they were annexed until they are gone.

Razing cities prevents you from building a national wonder most of the time and razes cities increase your culture requirements for social policies until they're gone. They also cause unhappiness as if they were annexed until they are gone.

You're arguing that there's a downside until they are razed. I think that is pretty obvious. He's arguing that once a city is razed, the benefits far outweigh the few turns of slightly reduced happiness (already prevalent in military conquest) or not being able to build a national wonder for a few turns (very minor). Cultural points remain the same, and one can temporarily delay buying a policy.

I agree that there should be bigger penalties for razing cities, but IMHO, it's not an issue that belongs on this list.

I had the same problem with Washington. For some reason, an a-bomb fixed it. :king:
Thank you for the tip. It won't fix the game, but until a permanent solution is found, this seems to be a great workaround. Thanks!!!!

- When you attack an enemy settler it magicly turns into a worker.. why?
- if you move, say a great general into a city and you already have a great artist in there, the artist will move to where the general was.... not good!
- City states who want you to build a certain wonder won't change it even after the wonder has already been built by someone else

- if you move, say a great general into a city and you already have a great artist in there, the artist will move to where the general was.... not good!
- City states who want you to build a certain wonder won't change it even after the wonder has already been built by someone else
1. That's by design. It's the same in CIV IV.
2. Agreed. This is a terrible game mechanic. It's true for all units, actually. At minimum a popup warning would be nice.
3. They sent you on quest. You failed and someone else got the reward. Perfectly normal.

- I presume the designers thought it would be gamebreaking to steal enemy settlers. It's a big advantage. Debatable surely, but not obviously a bug.

- You can't have two civilian units on the same same (general/artist). Like military units, you are happily ALLOWED to have them switch places without making them step into a third hex. This is a feature, if undocumented.

another issue came up with the American special unit minute men

America
Special Unit Minute Men
When minute men are upgraded to rifleman or higher tier units. They still retain the 1 movement point on all tiles special ability and still don't receive movement benefits from roads

Why thank you Mr. Burns.

I agree! I/we really appreciate you taking time out to do such a laborious task.

I would suggest making this list just a little bit more objective.

I agree a little. maybe instead of suggesting some things be fix that aren't reallty broke, but add an optional button. Like random event. some like and some don't. enable/disable would be nice.

You don't need to copypaste the insults along with it.

It would be awesome if you could even add links to the messages for more indepth information. Some items seem a little vague.

Again, thanks for the hard work.
-=Mark=-

oops, I forgot to post my complaint.

I am having a huge issue with not responding messages from the game and getting huge lag spikes. I only had one lockup so far, but now I'm getting the lag spikes randomly 2 or more times a turn.

I just got one at the start of the game today after clicking the begin journey, or whatever it's called, button. I mean I haven't even played one part of my turn and it lags out badly. It is a save of a huge map on i think turn 364 (1944).

Lag spike grow longer each turn play with over 4minutes each lag spike.

also, the lag spike is the same length during the same turn whether during processing AI movements at Next Turn phase, or just moving a unit one tile.

I do notice that it gets the lag spike every turn just after barbarian finish their phase, but all other happen randomly throught my turn at any given phase. ie: Firtify, move, scrolling to the next unit, annex city, build improvement, just for the heck of it(idling), etc.

I have two monitors and task manager confirms the lag spikes are from "not responding", also my video card goes idle.

Attachments

• sule_1944.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
Here are some of mine, I'm sorry I don't know if they've been posted before:

1. Saves should sort by order of date, most recent save on top.
2. It should be possible to pull up the save menu and double-click on the file you want to save and have it save it, in addition to the "select, click on save" method
3. When entering text in the search field of the civilopedia, the old text should become selected when you put the cursor in the field and disappear when you start typing, we shouldn't have to backspace to get rid of each old letter.
4. Get a goddamn "loading, please wait" screen please, so we don't have to listen to the old man every time we start the game!

[Edit] Oh and another one: 5. When you alt-Tab out of the game to your desktop, all audio from the game should cease.

The worldbuilder I find is not as good as the one in civ4 where you could edit the game you were playing in as you were playing. I dunno about other people but that resolved some quick fixes and added even more hours of fun.

many of these issues are to subjective and should be relegated to mods. I hope that the devs don't take many of these "issues" seriously.

Some new ones:

*Audio quote for Advanced Ballistics doesn't match written quote.

*Future Tech has a pop-up every time it's researched - (Not so much a bug, but something that should be improved. I was teching every 3 turns, and it was getting very annoying).

1. That's by design. It's the same in CIV IV.
2. Agreed. This is a terrible game mechanic. It's true for all units, actually. At minimum a popup warning would be nice.
3. They sent you on quest. You failed and someone else got the reward. Perfectly normal.

So when you fail the quest of building a wonder, then this "wonder quest" stays the same for the rest of the game (build this prehistoric wonder, which was already build 2000 years ago)?! That's pretty stupid if you ask me.

- I presume the designers thought it would be gamebreaking to steal enemy settlers. It's a big advantage. Debatable surely, but not obviously a bug.

- You can't have two civilian units on the same same (general/artist). Like military units, you are happily ALLOWED to have them switch places without making them step into a third hex. This is a feature, if undocumented.

Regarding the switch, you must have misunderstood me.

Example:
I move my unit from 3 squares away into a city, which already has a unit. Now the unit in town will move 3 squares away to where the other unit came from.
How can that be a feature? The unit you move should just be halted.. not switch place.

Nice list. I think you got most of the things that really stuck out at me from my first impression after playing the game. Just off the top of my head:

- Buildings/units too slow to build relative to tech rate, and/or don't provide enough benefits for their cost
- Great Person improvements (Engineer and Scientist at least) are vastly underpowered relative to their special abilities
- Logjams created through fixed one unit per tile, most annoying when a 3rd party wanders through a battlefield between you and another player, or when random wandering units block Workers from improving tiles
- Clunky and oversized interface, most prominently in the city build screen
- Several clicks and slow scrolling to enter diplomacy, why no one-click option like in Civ4?
- Preferences and options are immensely limited when you compare to Civ4... at least give us the options we had in the last game, e.g. turn off animations, regenerate maps, and a RIGHT CLICK MENU (constantly moving my units by accident when trying to cancel is a source of immense irritation for me)
- Keyboard shortcuts should be changeable by the user, e.g. "R" for both roads and resources irritates me constantly, and it's hard to get used to pressing "M" rather than "G" to move
- No info on how many turns to heal a unit
- River graphics are disgusting relative to the surrounding terrain
- Savegames not ordered by date
- Movie plays every time the game starts which is irritating, would be nice to have an option to disable it and just have a "loading" screen
- Lag issues between turns... of course they're present in every civ game, but it'd be nice to reduce them a little

That said, not everything is bad. I'm especially enjoying the combat side of the game, and the city states. Now we just need Firaxis to work on making the "builder" side of the game more fun/workable, and upgrading all the little details that they missed the first time around.

Top Bottom