Showing the new Germany some love

cairnsy44

Gooner - first class
I recently moved up to Emperor. Played with Germany and I have to say, they have taken over as my favorite civ. I like to play with raging barbs on and obviously, this suits the German UA. I will attempt to try that level with some other civs, but I had two of my top 3 scores in my two Germany Emperor games. Love the Hanse too. Part of me was a little sad I never got to use a Panzer, but since I had won by then...I wasn't too brokenhearted. I am sure I will try another game soon as Deutschland. The tweaks made in BNW really helped!

Raging barbs does not increase how many camps spawn, just how many barbs spawn in each camp. Raging barbs is not a buff to Germany except in that it's a buff to Honor generally, and Germany is a nice civ if you're playing with Honor.

My experience with Germany: I was on a small, oblong continent which was a part of a larger landmass. By the Renaissance I had 6-7 coastal cities, and a few island ones that followed. I went into Exploration for +3 production per coastal city and had Hansa banks built in all of them. Switched all my 5 or 6 naval trade routes to City States and I was swimming in production everywhere. Definitely a welcome change.

The barb part of the UA didn't really help me in that game, but it was a nice way to get a few brutes and hand axes.

Yeah, Germany is pretty awesome. A self-constructing army simplifies the early game a lot. It's pretty flexible in that it opens up spots in your build order, too.

I love the Panzer with Lightning Warfare. Nothing can stop you from pillaging the hell out of the enemy's territory.

Edited to add: it absolutely offers more early aggressive options too: you will quite likely have a larger army than your rivals, without a hell of a lot of effort. You can alternately maintain a comparable army at lesser cost, and still have more time to develop infrastructure.

The Hanse is very cool, but does have some drawback: you absolutely MUST stop any embargo of city-states from going through. Also, city-state trade routes often generate a lot less gold, and never give science.

Yeah, to be honest I prefer the Arabian Ability to capture ships. They tend to be more worth the money as ships cost more production wise...at least to me...and give me some early exploration and high level boats by frigate/caravel age. However, the Hanse is great. Germany in general is pretty cool. :)

Raging barbs does not increase how many camps spawn, just how many barbs spawn in each camp. Raging barbs is not a buff to Germany except in that it's a buff to Honor generally, and Germany is a nice civ if you're playing with Honor.
While it may not directly increase the number of camps, the increased number of barbarian units impedes scouting and increases the number of tiles in the fog that are eligible to spawn camps. On my raging barbs games there are reliably more camps available - I'd guess about 1.25 to 1.5 times as many, but I haven't tracked it diligently.

I haven't tried the hanse at all even though it is a good ub it seems now that the landsneckt is purchasable elsewhere.

In a past game I had Bismarck as an opponent. Guess what he did: conquered 2 CS and proposed an embargo on CS... :nono:

The Hanse seems powerful, but this doesn't suit my playstyle (the UU, even if cool, comes a bit late).

Yeah, to be honest I prefer the Arabian Ability to capture ships. They tend to be more worth the money as ships cost more production wise...at least to me...and give me some early exploration and high level boats by frigate/caravel age. However, the Hanse is great. Germany in general is pretty cool. :)

It's the Ottomans, not Arabia ;)

I'd actually argue that Raging Barbs hinders the Germans. Their UA is based on capturing encampments. With Raging Barbs on, there's more units standing in your way that you need to kill before you can even get to the encampments. But your units will be more experienced afterward and, if you took Honor, you'll have more Culture (and possibly Gold) too.

You are correct...brain freeze there. I knew this!
However, I did go honor for about half the tree, so the culture and XP were flowing in.

Also, if you go for domination with Germany, CS allies are crucial since all of the AI will hate you. This certainly was the case in my 2 recent games. So the Hanse shines there!

I'd actually argue that Raging Barbs hinders the Germans. Their UA is based on capturing encampments. With Raging Barbs on, there's more units standing in your way that you need to kill before you can even get to the encampments. But your units will be more experienced afterward and, if you took Honor, you'll have more Culture (and possibly Gold) too.

That's been my experience too, all the extra units makes taking camps slower. Definitely a trade off though since raging barbs will help you just burn through honor fast.

Germany's been one of my favorites since vanilla. The barb conversion really opens up your early build queue and the maintenance reduction is really a hefty discount in the second half of the game. I just love the tweaks made in the fall patch. It really made them more versatile.

As others said, making extra barb units makes taking camps slower.

New Germany is on my list of civs to try again, right after New Japan. (I'm currently on "New" Carthage. With the hammer removal from their free UB they play differently too)

Heh, I must also admit that Hanse is awesome - IMHO one of the best unique buildings. Panzer is OK for late domination (I like tanks), -25% maintenance isn't crazy but still useful, barbarian recruitment still is the weakest part of Germany :D
But still can hav some use in early war against barbs (you don't have to produce as many military units and you can change focus on something different)

Top Bottom