How do you stop Alex?

Aquaplex

Chieftain
So i started a game on Emperor difficulty (usually play King) and i was Persia and i had Alex as one of my AIs. He was allied with all 16 cs by turn 200.. Is the only way to stop that guy is going to war with him? I retired at this point, as i was pretty sure he was going to diplo win. The game was on small islands and i didn't have the ability to take him out at this point, but i'm looking for advice for future reference.

First off, I wouldn't play small islands. It's just luck based on who gets the most iron for frigate spam. But yeah, you need to take out Alex or be able to shovel limitless amounts of gold to the CS. Also, diplo vic is ultra cheesy and should be disabled anyways. Being allies with all the CS id a dumb way to win IMO. Once I even did it on accident when I was going for a REAL victory.

I disagree. Diplo in Vanilla and G&K is about stuffing up your competitors and having lots of cash. Diplo in BNW, though, is all about corrupting everybody as much as possible...

You're right Craig. I didn't have any iron in my territory so i couldn't get any frigates up. I was playing random civ with random map so i just had the bad luck of getting stuck with small islands.

you use spies to coup his city states while bribing him to fight everybody

you use spies to coup his city states while bribing him to fight everybody

I tried both of these. When i tried couping city states, most of them said i had 0% chance of couping so i'm not sure if i just started 2 late. I also had him declare war on Egypt, which by score, was the 2nd highest ranked AI. At least this war with Egypt slowed him down from whoring all the wonders.

I resort to violence. Not that there aren't other ways, it's just the way I prefer. He's one of the few that pose a challenge, or a good feeding for my jaguars :)

You can resort to violence to stop his victory....

Make sure you dow on Alexander then in turn his city states will dow on you.
Then you are free to wreck his city states with impunity. I have noticed the hatred for murdering city states is less when done this way. I'm prolly crazy.

But alexander will be frothing at mouth just to get at you.

I resort to violence. Not that there aren't other ways, it's just the way I prefer. He's one of the few that pose a challenge, or a good feeding for my jaguars :)

Lol that was going to be my response! :trouble: Works good if he's on your continent.

What I don't like is when his caravels show up on my shores while I'm still in the medieval. That's when you know he's going to be trouble because he's already run away on the other continent. Put spies in the CSs on your borders and work on making sure they stay yours. Rush navigation and pump out frigates. It's time for war.

If he's in my games, I aim to put him out ASAP. Tougher if he's on another continent, running away, but then just beeline to frigates. The only way to stop him is with force, but the sooner the better, before your fighting every single city state on your borders AND his. I would even bribe others to DOW him before I get a chance, if possible.

Top five counter measures to Alex:

5. Reduce the city state ratio from the default 2:1 ratio (which I found too crowded anyway) down to 1:1.

4. Use spies to protect key allies. The AI tends to use the bare minimum cash that would become an ally, and so even a raw recruit would have 85% chance of flipping it back if it were already present.

3. Accept an AIs war invitation against Alex; Alex can't bribe your city state allies when he's at war with them.

2. If playing Austria and Alex is in the game, I'd make marrying city states a higher priority than when he's not in it.

1. And the ultimate counter is to be playing Venice and using Great Merchants of Venice to take over his city states.

Erradicating Alex is always a priority. I say, let him ally all the CSs he wants in the early game... it takes A LOT of votes to win by diplo victory, and that doesn't start until later in the game. But you'll need to finish him off at some point, preferably with a couple allys.

War is probably the most effective way to deal with Alex, you want him taken out before he picks his ideology. An autocratic Alex will most certainly control the WC, which you don't want as he usually is a jerk. War isn't the only option I once won the CS ally race with Alex by bee-lining Radio(to pick Autocracy) and bee lined Gunboat diplomacy. I then pumped out units until could no longer to sustain them. Very quickly I was able to reverse his earlier lux banning shenanigans and he was no longer a threat diplomatically.

diplo in BNW requires a lot of votes. Way more than 50%. I don't know if this is typicaly but I've found from my own CS-whoring games that if you lose 1 or so in wars even if you have every other one in the world you still miss the diplo win. You basically need all the CS's + yourself + UN leader + wonder that gives you more votes. This barely gives you enough to capture the win. My last game it said I needed 40/60 or so. This ended up being everything I mentioned above and still only exactly enough votes. One destroyed CS and that would've been the end for a dozen or so more turns. This will drag out the game an additional 20+ turns or so as he will still get +2 votes for every near miss. I had cranked down the number of CS's though to 16 from the suggested 20 so that might've hurt me.

diplo in BNW requires a lot of votes. Way more than 50%. I don't know if this is typicaly but I've found from my own CS-whoring games that if you lose 1 or so in wars even if you have every other one in the world you still miss the diplo win. You basically need all the CS's + yourself + UN leader + wonder that gives you more votes. This barely gives you enough to capture the win. My last game it said I needed 40/60 or so. This ended up being everything I mentioned above and still only exactly enough votes. One destroyed CS and that would've been the end for a dozen or so more turns. This will drag out the game an additional 20+ turns or so as he will still get +2 votes for every near miss. I had cranked down the number of CS's though to 16 from the suggested 20 so that might've hurt me.

Yeah, speaking of that, does anybody think that the current diplo victory requirements are too extreme? I'd like to hear some opinions on the matter.

Top Bottom