[Religion and Revolution]: Bugs and Todos

As I told earlier, I will redownload Religion & Revolution 2.4 and test Salt production on Mine again.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

As I said, I am very sure, that the bug you describe is not existing in clean Release 2.4.
(The Yields I see on your screenshot are not possible with our original balancing. Hills should have Yield Ore.)

This thread is for bugs in the base mod only.
If you have problems with your private modifications, please use "Feedback & Questions".

And please be honest about doing modifications to the base mod or not.
(Anything else will only waste your time and our time.)

I redownloaded and tested Religion & Revolution 2.4 (rev 1032 -27.02.15).

I found NO BUGS related to Raw Salt production. I can build Mine on both Deserts or Hills.

Desert Mine.jpg Desert Mine2.jpg

I also found a possible cause of the salt mine error I asked yesterday. I loaded original (clean, unmodified) Religion & Revolution 2.4 mod after I played the modified version of RaR 2.4. Unfortunately, I had in CivilizationIV.ini

Code:
; Disable caching of file system (may slow initialization)
DisableFileCaching = [COLOR="Red"]0[/COLOR]

; Disable caching of xml and file system (may slow initialization)
DisableCaching = [COLOR="red"]0[/COLOR]

and these two "zeros" in CivilizationIV.ini could be the reason of my fake bug alarm. Now I changed both zeros on 1.

Very sorry! :bowdown: My stupid error that was many times explained! :hammer2:

Very sorry! :bowdown: My stupid error that was many times explained! :hammer2:
I did the same thing recently (but not with RaR). Somehow the ini file got corrupted and reverted back to default settings without telling me, or something like that. Either way it suddenly didn't disable the cache anymore and it took me a while to figure out that was the problem and not the code I just changed.

Having modded the XML loading code several times, I have spotted code, which indicates that it would be possible for the DLL to ignore the cache settings and always load with cache disabled. However while I would like to do that, I have always other tasks with higher priority.

However looking into your bug report wasn't a waste of time. I learned more about the code and I think I have an idea on how to solve the issue that you have to clear the forest in order to build some improvements. Well you have to clear it, but make it a one step task (like farms and mines) instead of two steps.

Hello all,

yesterday I finally got around to declare independence for my first game with R&R 2.4.

Every time I tried to click the button, Colonization got stuck and I got a Windows Error Message "Colonization stopped working". :mad:

How should I provide the savegame in question? Has anyone else already declared independence with Religion & Revolution 2.4 rev 1032 -27.02.2015 and ran into the same problem?

Today I thought I could play a little round of RaR.
And infact, I did enjoy it. :)

However, I did encounter a small bug.

Spoiler :

A copy paste from adjusting the events to GameSpeeds. see Screenshot attached.
In several places a reference to global 'event' should simply have referenced global 'event1'.

Then I checked the changes of "event adjustments for GameSpeed" for similar copy paste errors and found a few other copy paste errors as well.
Seems like they had slipped my code checks when doing quality assurance of the commits. :blush:

And in our testing, nobody found them either.
But well, bugs simply slip through tests sometimes. :)

But that nobody had reported those errors since release, tells me that either only very few people still play RaR or our players don't care to report such bugs. :dunno:

Spoiler :

Release 2.4 was many weeks ago and I can't believe that I am the first one to find those errors in my first few hours of playing the mod at all after our release.

Whatever, fix is attached.

Copy/Paste the Python file contained in the zip into this directory and replace the existing version of that Python file:
...\Religion_and_Revolution\Assets\Python\EntryPoints

@HermanHeydt:
Could you please update the download sometime in the future ?
So at least people newly downloading the mod won't have to bother with this fix.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Fix.7z
    9.7 KB · Views: 188
But that nobody had reported those errors since release, tells me that either only very few people still play RaR or our players don't care to report such bugs. :dunno:
There is also the possibility that nobody reported because of the statement that the development had stopped. However considering that there appears to be absolutely no interest in RaRE at all (at least for developing), I fear people have moved on.

However, I tested 2.4 and did not get this bug... :dunno:

Maybe you did not have Python Exceptions activated ? :think:

Spoiler :

In CivilizationIV.ini :

; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 0

Infact it was not 1 bug but 4 bugs.
(All having the same copy paste error.)

Meaning 4 events could not have been triggered anymore.
(But each of those copy paste errors would have caused a Python Exception when the corresponding trigger condition would have been evaluated.)

Withouth that setting though you might never have noticed these bugs because there would never have been an error message on the screen.
(The corresponding events would simply never have triggered.)

Infact I guess that 99% of our players don't have that setting either.
That would also give the explanation why none of our players ever reported. :)

After all those years of modding I often forget that most people don't use my "modders setup" when playing the game. :crazyeye:

Actually the bugs were not critical though because the game would not break or anything serious like that.
It is just that 4 of our Python events did not work anymore after "proper adjustment to GameSpeeds".

Well, it does not matter anymore. Everything is ok again. :)
Fix is attached in my post above and maybe HermanHeydt might find the time to update the download version.
(I wrote him a private message as well.)

Hi Ray - I have been playing RaR quite a lot, but since I play on a Gigantic map and marathon speed it takes quite a while for things to happen. However, without knowing which global events you are referring to it is hard to know what's been missing :blush:.

Anyway, thanks for the patch - hopefully once I install it I will figure it out :goodjob:

However, without knowing which global events you are referring to it is hard to know what's been missing :blush:.

4 of our Python events - usually triggered by amounts of stored Yields - could never be triggered, because their code was broken.
(But if you did not activate Python Exceptions, you probably would never have noticed.)

Otherwise it is no big issue.
(No CTD, nothing game breaking.)

Just get the fix from here and replace the file as described.
(It also won't be necessary to start a new game.)

Hi guys,

I found and fixed another issue. :blush:
(I currently have the time to do a bit of playing and testing of RaR since I have vacation again.)

I remember that I had somewhere read a player issue report about this:
(Well ok, that is just a small balancing annoyance but it could be easily corrected.)

Bonus Turkey not valid without Forrest feature
(And thus does not work anymore when a Farm is built on top.)

However, when I corrected that little issue, I took a closer look at the file and found another more serious issue, which in my eyes is a real bug:
(I definitely never intended the balancing to be like this.)

Bonus Iron not valid on Savannah (Peaks or Hills)
(Map Generation would never place it there and it would also not work when placed manually)

-----

Well, I corrected both issues. :)
(The second one is a real bug in my eyes.)

The file you find in the zip needs to be placed here:
...\Religion_and_Revolution\Assets\XML\Terrain

@HermanHeydt:
Could you please update the download sometime in the future ?
So at least people newly downloading the mod won't have to bother with this fix.

Attachments

• Fix2.7z
    3.5 KB · Views: 131
Will update tomorrow evening or sooner if I get the time.

Thanks a lot for your extra efforts. :)

I feel really bad to bother you with such tiny issues.
But since Release 2.4 was our final one, I would like to have it as but and issue free as possible.

Please update the download with both fixes here and here.
(Just so people newly donwloading won't need to bother.)

Wouldn't those fixes technically make it 2.4.1? It's generally a bad idea to have two different versions using the same number. It might not be important as it is the last, but with two 2.4, we can't tell which one people use if they report a bug in 2.4. It also affects network games as two people have to have the same version to play together.

Maybe you did not have Python Exceptions activated ? :think:

Yeah, wanted to say the same
Only modders play with python expection popups activated, so most small python bugs goes unnoticed to the majority of the players
Also, I'm pretty sure that quite a lot of people still playing with RaR, just won't post here. Maybe most of them don't even have an account on CFC, this site has a huge numbers of lurkers AFAIK

Hi Folks,

I hope you are well and are playing RaR sometimes. I startet a new "Let's play" project these days and recognized a very poor bug, which is included in the final version 2.4:

I apologize for that...but wonder that nobody noticed and posted this bug before since our final version is out so many months:

All cavalry and dragoon horses lack of teamcolor. That looks bad since they are partly transparent. I have corrected this bug and will publish the correction shortly:

1. picture - teamcolor:
2. picture - missing teamcolor:

Please post here, if you may have recognized further bugs!

Best Regards

Schmiddie

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 412
Hey guys,

a while ago we had a report about "Assigning Hotkey" not working in RaR anymore.
(Instead "Clear Specialty" is currently happening.)

Again this is related to damn hardcoding in the exe. :mad:

Fix is relatively simple though. :)

This command from one of my old features needs to be moved to the end of the list of Commands:
("Stirring up Natives" is one of my very old features.)

COMMAND_STIR_UP_NATIVES
(Move it to a position in the list somewhere after COMMAND_HOTKEY.)

This change needs to be reflected in XML and DLL though.
(So without compiling a new DLL it will not work.)

Maybe this fix will be included in one of the future modmods.
(I am not modding anymore and thus will not publish again.)

To all remaining modders:
I hope you continue to have fun modding. :)

Top Bottom