[TOT] The Test Of Time Patch Project

A last question, before i leave again:

Are 127 units, as gfx slots in units.bmp, and as values slots in rules.txt, the absolute maximum possible?
Cause there is the possibility of different Cities.bmps, so that every single faction could use its
own Cities gfx. Is that possibility given for units too?

Either, to give 127 gfx slots in units.bmp for every single faction like in Cities.bmps.
Or, to give 127 values slots in rules.txt for every single faction, or both.

Or is 127 as one single working units.bmp and as one single bunch of 127 unit values in rules.txt,
the absolute maximum with no option to crack that up. That d be my last question.

---

And now, i have to admit,
Spoiler :
that la raven IS in fact Nicheal.
The user Nicheal was once banned for his "Nazi rampaging behaviour", and McMonkey told,
before i vanished my chances in some really bad E-Mails, that i, the person behind, could return,
after a while and with a better behaviour, what i really tried. 2 years are gone, my behaviour IS
much better in fact, and i didnt even want to come back, until TNO did these... say... in my opinion
relatively... doubtful decisions in some not so small cases... in my opinion, as i told many times.

I really must ask myself, repeatedly, how a community comes to that most weired idea,
to call the modder of a very nice scenario called "The Silmarillion", seriously, a crazy clown
and nazi... in my opinion a hateful mind is not able to fulfill amazing artworks like a colourful
picture like "The Silmarillion". It is not possible, that a mindwrecked hater and a totally insane
person is able to create such wonderful things. I am not a Nazi, and not crazier than all of you,
and not more a clown than all of you, i just like to mod Test of Time, getting some
wonderful artworks and games out of it, from time to time.
Nothing different to all these other ToT modders!

I didnt get the point two years ago, why to hate me that much. I explained it to you,
that i had invented a massive boost in Civ2 ToT engine, a really overwhelming new idea,
that i was really bad stressed and was working on a Nazi game, where the protagonist of that
FANTASY SCENARIO is in hell, and fighting versus Russian Yeti Brigades... how could a good
mind EVER come to that weired idea, to call me a Nazi??? I dont get it still. I am the modder of
"Mordor", "The Silmarillion", "The Cruzan Colony", "The Lord of the Silver Skull".
And in Scenario League Site, "Ancient Steel", "SubWar Deluxe", "Cradle of Blood", "Xarthage".

I did such many SciFi, Fantasy, History scenarios, all at least nice to watch, all inspired by open
minded, beautiful creativity, and you REALLY think, that i am just a crazy clown and Nazi???

Whatever. Not the place for that.
I, personally, think, that you are jealous, and you cannot get it, how i could ever be able to
work out a scenario like "Xarthage" during one single month. You just were searching for a
good reason, to just vanish me out of your minds. You just dont want to read my stuff, cause it
is good stuff, it has its right and cleverness, it sounds not like usual english, is a bit out of the
line, sometimes arrogant, a kind of cruel, and so, you ignore me, and you just read what you
want to read:

That i am an insane, stupid clown with a huge misbehaviour, that i am a Nazi and all the cruelty,
you want to see, to getting the right to hate, to vanish... but, heres an important message:

Hate is never right. So, YES, la raven in fact IS Nicheal, banned two years ago.
But how could i ever join that ToTPP magic stuff, without just a new account, hm?
What else could i have done, to do what i just love to do, hm? Nothing else.
But to try for good. And you just still hate me, after two years... not for my worse, for my
good, thats the only reason. And now, please, decide to ban one of the most glorious
remaining Test of Time modders, again, or give me another chance, to join for good.

---

I dont even get, why barbarian raging hordes are even used still...
in the Test of Time SciFi scenario, when you arrive on Nona or whatever, enemies rise.
For every kill another enemy trooper rises and so on. To let the game itself generate
barbarian raging hordes without the option to make them stop once and for all, i dont like.
In my scenarios i delete the option of barbarian activity completely.
There is no reason for it, while i can use some unit slots to create raging enemies by myself,
and by an events.txt file, giving credit by killing one of them. So me as the creator of the
scenario can handle all by myself, all activity without a neverending barbarian story,
unstopable, undirectable, just senseless plus very annoying spawnings, in my opinion.

By the way, to create really worthy barbarian enemies, plus a kind of life, by creating
animals, pirate ships, to hunt and earn money for, i create many such units, worthy units,
to capture, to hunt and earn, to cheat directly on place and in time, to give a good fight.
Useless, to let that whole worthy thing happen just by the stupid AI and game itself,
instead of creating it all by modder only... :).

I added Barbarian Wrath through Game.txt (I have no clue about hex editing) and holy chit, it works (got 200 gps upon leader's capture!) BUT it doesn't stand up to it's name at all. Found out that the frequency of the attacks are exactly the same as Raging Hords as also the pirate crews (2-3 Archers/Horsemen + Leader). Disappointing in all reguards (NamelessOne pleeeeeeaaaseeee).
Well, bummer. It certainly explains why I didn't see more frequent attacks when I hex edited my scenario. :sad:

I did notice that while the frequency of attacks remained the same, the hordes themselves seemed larger, with a higher unit count per horde, for the ones spawned on land. Did you notice anything different about their land spawned horde sizes on your end?

@la raven

You are free to post in this forum, or the Scenario Creation forum of Civ Fanatics. You can post your scenarios there. I believe a lot of players still check them out. It's not like you have been banished from Civ Fanatics, just the Scenario League (an autonomous forum hosted by Civ Fanatics).

I don't hate you and I don't think you are a Nazi. What we can't put up with at the Scenario League is you rambling posts, insults to other users and your arrogance. The Scenario League has been a success for many, many years because the members there respect each other, are polite, helpful and get along. It's OK to give constructive criticism where needed, but calling people names and generally getting on everyone's nerves won't wash. You were given plenty of warnings!

I would suggest you try and get to the point with your posts instead of rambling. A concise sentence or paragraph has much more effect than a stream of thought post, especially when English isn't your first language. Post #482 above, minus the spoiler, is a good example of the correct way to post. If you can demonstrate you have really changed and try and fit in with the way we do things we would welcome you back, but you would need to show you really have changed your ways before we will consider reversing the ban.

Offtopic
Spoiler :
@McMonkey

But i was banned by the whole forum Civ Fanatics, and was still allowed on the
Scenario Leagues very own site to post there, so i dont understand.

And what i cant put up with, is to call me a Nazi, an insane guy needing professional help, a clown,
a troll, that all i got, plus the arrogant speeches of many people, just giving their jealous hate a
lucky free shot on me. Many people are hateful, small minded and arrogant, the world is full of
them. And when i am enthusiastic and proud for my good work, and perhaps a little overdosed
and arrogant, so what. But i have learned, that to be good, acts often as offending people.
Often you get on their nerves just by your enthusiasm creating good things they cannot do.

So i dont see my posts as rambling. I just try to talk out my point cause we dont have any more
but these words standing there. If you call that rambling, when i d like to rather talk it out and
then shut up than to endlessly chat and say nothing, if you dont want to read carefully what i got,
and if you call my not bad not good english not worth reading it, thats not my fault, but yours
in fact. So in fact i could call all you impolite, not giving a serious comment any chance.
You say, "the correct way to post"... so, you call me a rambler, cause i dont post and comment,
just like you want me to... isnt that impolite and out of patience and commitment, to command
me, how i have to write my comments instead of accepting, just how i write MY comments?
They call me a crazy clown, just cause i write, as i write... and isnt that most impolite and hateful?

So, McMonkey, you say, i should write more polite and respectful and should calm down my
arrogance. Well, i give you all back that holy wishes. Cause, to call a good modder, an obviously
good modder, names like Nazi, clown, troll, insane guy, rambler, whatelse, and to put me down,
even when its obvious, that i am able to create good things, as a good modder, dont you think
that is a bad plus arrogant speech of haters, more, than of good people?

If you can demonstrate you have really changed and try and fit in with the way
we do things we would welcome you back, but you would need to show you really have
changed your ways before we will consider reversing the ban.

I guess, the most guys will stay within their hate rather, than to give me any fair chance at all.
I guess, they did insult me, much enough, too, so did you. And i, all of you.
So lets say, it was a good fight, the german did lose, and just stays away from the good people.
I even will stay away from TNO, and i guess, that whole forum. I did say what i wanted to,
and it is useless and a shame, to make that worthless blah blah in that most worthy thread of TNO.

That whole thing i will quit now for good. Have fun with that ToTPP, with ToT, with your scenarios,
and god bless TNO for his superb work! I am sorry for insulting all of you, but i suggest, there
shouldnt be ever a coming back! But if i wont be banned now, please, stop insulting me.

When you are quite finished, Nicheal. Move along. You have wasted enough of our time with the spam.

McMonkey might cut you some slack, but I am not in the least interested in your drama and drivel.

You have nothing to offer us, so hit the road, or I will have you perma-banned, and how

Well yes, that i meant exactly. The good people with their rightful hate.
And wheres the difference, Sibling? That i was banned before to hell, and now, i will suffer WHAT?
The same again? What is dead may never die!
And i d have a lot to offer, you just dont know. As i told. As i told now, and 2 years ago.
I found a way to boost Civ2 ToT on another level. Did search for another way to mod that game,
and finally found it. You banned me some days before my great reveal. My scenarios already,
include many super things, and some things you dont even know, worth it. But yes.
I will hit the road now. Thanks for nothing, enemy! - hahaha, ENEMY disgr ACE ---

Sorry, @TNO, for misusing your most worthy thread, for that old and long gone case!!!
I wish you a successful journey to fulfill the highest hopes and dreams of a worthy
game and community, and wont ever disturb that whole thread again. :)
But some things had to made clear. :)

When you are quite finished, Nicheal. Move along. You have wasted enough of our time with the spam.

McMonkey might cut you some slack, but I am not in the least interested in your drama and drivel.

You have nothing to offer us, so hit the road, or I will have you perma-banned, and how!

with a higher unit count per horde

Huh, I WISH. Two or three units loafing around and throwing away their lives trying to attack my cities. Same goes with Trireme landing. Barbarian attacks do begin quite early in the game though (20~25+ turns), but really, that's all folks.
Then again, maybe Barbarian Wrath spawns many units through Goody Huts. But I've disabled them long ago. I'll keep testing.

edit:

Goody Huts are refusing to give me a horde, but a lot of turns into the game I had a major land spawn of nearly about 27 units. So, it kiiiinda works. I find it better than Raging Hords to be honest.

@ Hi, TNO.

I just had a weird idea playing "Heroes of Might and Magic II" where my hero found an artifact (the hideous mask) which makes him less attractive to neutrals.

Well, what I wanted to ask is this: Is it possible to include some wonders which actually make you weaker? For example one which increases the unrest level on a continent or in a single city? (like for the British-American colonies?) Or some which let your scientists go dumb or makes everyone else distrust you (some anti-Eiffel Tower and no allies), or even one that weakens you economy, etc.? These things could provide a better balance (especially when it comes to small empires which have to keep up with big, but shaky ones), I think.

I also thought of a way a proxy unit could work (well, sort of semi-proxy unit): maybe creating a city improvement "proxy unit" would do - the city produces a special barbarian unit and you can parachute it within a certain range around the city and therefore right into the enemies territory to disrupt tracks, wreak havoc or kill civilians. It doesn't necessarily have to be controlled by a player in this case and could be taken over by the barbarian AI right after the parachuting, I guess.

And worst of all: the Sisyphus unit! I'd love the idea of spies being able to simply destroy enemies' wonders! Or even advances! That would be really mean! Starting over and over again and always being afraid of suddenly losing 'mobile warfare' right in the middle of a full-scale war, harharhar. I bet everyone would care for a countermeasure agent in every single town.

@edit: And... please! Limit the amount of units a city or fortress can hold. I hate it when 20 units fortify themselves inside a single city. Maybe there's a way to fortify only a handful of units when there's a pile or there's no way of entering an over-crowed city/place.

I love the idea of anti wonders. I wonder if it would be possible to set values (in rules) for the effect of wonders or improvements or create new wonders.

I also like the idea of limiting the number of units that can enter a city, fortress or specific terrain type.

I know Techumseh has been having an issue with the AI disbanding Japanese units in his Burma scenario and in my SCW scenario the Nationalists choose to set every city to Capitalization, even though they have a huge bank balance.

Is there a way to increase the limit where the AI will decide it has enough units (or remove the limit completely)? I'm not sure what the current level is before it decides it is powerful enough, but I'm sure there is one. Sounds like something that could be altered.

I switched up the Japanese units so that they are unbuildable because their pre-req is unavailable, but they are no longer obsolete. The AI still disbands them in droves, so that flag would be helpful after all. Thanks.

This was resolved after all, right?

Well, what I wanted to ask is this: Is it possible to include some wonders which actually make you weaker? For example one which increases the unrest level on a continent or in a single city? (like for the British-American colonies?) Or some which let your scientists go dumb or makes everyone else distrust you (some anti-Eiffel Tower and no allies), or even one that weakens you economy, etc.? These things could provide a better balance (especially when it comes to small empires which have to keep up with big, but shaky ones), I think.

Haven't really looked into extending the number of wonders/improvements yet. Though effects are a bit tricky, hard-coding them would reduce their usefulness, and making them fully configurable through rules could be a lot of effort. I'll keep it in mind though.

I also thought of a way a proxy unit could work (well, sort of semi-proxy unit)...

And worst of all: the Sisyphus unit! I'd love the idea of spies being able to simply destroy enemies' wonders! Or even advances!

Probably a bit too niche to implement at this time ;)

@edit: And... please! Limit the amount of units a city or fortress can hold. I hate it when 20 units fortify themselves inside a single city. Maybe there's a way to fortify only a handful of units when there's a pile or there's no way of entering an over-crowed city/place.

I'm guessing this would cause problems for the AI, which does not work well with such limits. Without changing how AI goals work, I think it might try fortifying such units forever.

Is there a way to increase the limit where the AI will decide it has enough units (or remove the limit completely)? I'm not sure what the current level is before it decides it is powerful enough, but I'm sure there is one. Sounds like something that could be altered.

It's probably related to some sense of numerical superiority. I know the game keeps tabs on tribes' attack power per land mass, but I don't know the exact limit for your situation from the top of my head.

It's probably related to some sense of numerical superiority. I know the game keeps tabs on tribes' attack power per land mass, but I don't know the exact limit for your situation from the top of my head.

I have been searching online for a figure as I'm sure I read it somewhere. I know there must be a set level where the AI decides it has enough units and switches to Capitalization as once its units are depleted enough it switches back to producing them. I was hoping there would be a figure in the code somewhere that could 'easily' be edited, but you could probably write everything I know about coding on the back of a postage stamp :D

I will keep on looking and let you know if I find anything useful.

@TNO:
Another random idea: Is it possible to have some kind of mouse hover effect when you move the cursor over a unit - in order to show attack and defence values, hit points and movement rate? I just try to stay on top of things with all those different scenarios there are (which all use different units with different stats).

Top Bottom