Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Plus the Cohortes Imperatoriae, that would be a great start.
Now that I think about it, maybe put one incursores in the pack of disruptores (their leader). These will be for the units having massive HP bonus. To be coherent, I should do the same for:
- Barca: 2 mercs + 1 war elephant (the one currently used for Imperium Barcae)
- Mithridates: 2 armenian warriors + 1 sarmatian swordsman (reprersenting Mithridates)
If not too much work, I take them as well :)!

jobiwan! wow! great units! these are exactly what i was talking about way back in the days of the older map pink!! precisely these for barca and mithridates! anyway, i like the tech tree + ill get to work on trying to get the dates to work well with the barb tehcs, just by fooling around. also, i would say that illyria should stay as is... whats the big deal with having those extra cities anyway? also, im a fan of having the
6(1 or 2)-3-1 legio, even though i know my colleague randy is in the other camp. in my experience it just forces you to be more careful and fight with more tactical skill.
i also like the tech tree pink, i think this is what you originally intended back in the day isnt it? (i remember your drawings) ill be downloading as soon as i get a chance to

Great Jobiwan!
Coltrane, got your vote. Yes, it seems we are 'regressing' to the original concept of RFRE ;)
Another preview, of these 'barb' tech you just spoke about. They are now visible to the roman so that they can be given by the great library. Still waiting for the link...
Randy, forgot to post an e-mail address for the BIQ, just use the one which appears everywhere (pinktilapia@hotmail.com)

Attachments

• Ancient.jpg
    Ancient.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 523
OK... after trying things out in yet another revision of .62...
-I like 6(2-3)/4 for Legio with 300 worker strength, but leave Hoplites the same and raise the cost of Legio to 50-55, and therefore the Consularis will be only a 6 to 8 raise in attack and the cost only a slight raise, but it will take more population, because it is so strong.
More importantly, I think the superior formation of the Legion should be in less abundance, fielded with typical phalanx(alari) for the Rise of Rome... heh that's my vote until you guys say more =o)

I don't have as much time to test as intensively as some here have, so consider this a half vote! I think the game should be a challenge, not just a rampage, so I vote for 6(2)-3-1 for Legio. Maybe one of the supporting troops, could have a better defence to help out against the very high attack from some of the German and Gaulish units?

pinktilapia said:
1. Early Legio D3 or D4. D4 sounds good and I already agreed on it but this make Legio Consularis not that attractive, especially compared to a Legio Scipionis (which in theory should be upgraded to Legio Consularis, did anybody check if that was working fine?). Let's vote; since you guys are likely to have more actual game experience than I do. Randy, I know what your vote is for

2. Brainstorming and finalizing the governments forms, including civil war as transition governnment (which means civil war would be short), in order to better differentiate them. I think the upkeep scheme I wrote yesterday is already history and was further changed in 'final' 0.7

3. Get the barb to be stronger and more active by 250AC and then 400AC .

Otherwise, a few things:

- Illyria people did settle in this area for a while (books are at home) but certainly, germanics later on occupied the territory. I gave these 2 cities to Illyria thinking that Rome would hardly take them early on otherwise (which she did in history), if meaning a war with the (supposed to be) dreaded Germanics. I am against adding more civ: the first version of RFRE was monstruously slow (the game was freezing between turns for many minutes, it was awful and get me to loose my whole pack of alpha testers, except for the brave King Coltrane ) and I got a hard work redesigning the whole map and civ to make it acceptably fast. One 2 city tribe would be harmless and Rome would be quick to get it anyway. Maybe cut the pear in two and give the northern city to Germania and the Southern to Illyria. - Hidden Nationality and marshes could work IF the Hun units and germanic units ignore each other and go south rather than reaping each other apart in the dark forests of Germania. Maybe make them units with hidden nationality AND invisible, and let only the Romans see them?! It could work!

1) I'd sure hope so! :p

2) Using Civil War as a transition government works great; in my experience, you're forced to sit in the transition government for 4+ turns at the very least if you're not a religious civ. So, 8+ years of Civil War should do fine and will provide enough time to build the "Civil War Wonders" if their cost is reduced to 0 shields (and Civitas as well). As for the other forms of government, I think they work fine how they were changed to in .62. Having that early 1 unit support per city is vital to the overall military success of Rome around the Med in the early time periods. Then, with the coming of Christian Imperialism (which the player will be coaxed to go in to), which does not provide that huge military unit support (be something like 0/1/2 or 0/2/2 instead of Imperialism's 1/2/3), thus forcing the Roman player to cut down on their Imperial Legions, cavalry, and archers and replace them with Mercenary Legions.

3) Hmmm....giving the later barb units invisibility and only allowing the Romans to see them. That should work! I'll test it in my next game. ;) The only problem is that the Pictish barbarian unit won't have their huge advantage (that they need to overrun Britain and force the Romans to withdraw) of invisibility any more. But I guess if you beef that Pictish unit up enough and give the Pictish city a couple special resources to beef up their food, shield, & commerce output (look at my .biq pink, that's what I did with Pictii & "Pictish Goods"), it could still work. Especially with the large drop in military unit support.

King Coltrane said:
also, i would say that illyria should stay as is...

One of the problems with that is that the top two illyrian cities are bordered by the Germans, and your cities will be under constant attack.

Btw: Great tech trees Pink

Why are all of the technologies, from 272 BC to 600 AC, in the Ancient times? Also, the caldendar the Romans used changed a lot. For example, Ceasar set up a calendar were "0" was the founding of Rome. You might want to take this into account.

Jobiwan, Randy, I will check the unit/biq out as soon as I can but today is gonna be busy.
Thanks! Still no link for the patch, I update as soon as I can.

Loki, the roman start in era 2 and don't need to go in era 1 where I put all the timers. "ancient times" might not be the most appropriate name, but it fit there as era 1. The timers need to be visible (researchable by the Romans) in order for the player to get them though the great library-type wonder. The Roman shouldn't research these anyway (he will get them all free from AI civ, and these are generally with a negative impact).

Jobiwan = the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fantastic units, and quickly done too!

any clue when the link'll be up pink?

I'm sorry that I didn't get any other M-Units done. The Incursores just don't work, I have no idea why!!! Any other ideas for units to use for that unit?

Mainly, my problems have been with the "run" animations. All too often I will mix two units, one with a 10-frame animation, and the other with 15. My choices are either to shorten the one animation, making it jerky; or have one unit freeze for 5 frames, making it "float" along the ground.

What do I do???

It would be easier if I would use the normal Civ Legionary for Legion Antonius and the Emperor's Cohort. What units should I use for Mithridates and the Incursores?

Please give me ideas for those two.

Here is Legio Antonius. Should I use only 1 unit (3 times) in the Incursores and in Mithridates' Army? That would be the easiest way.

EDIT: Also, here is my Emperor's Guard unit that I posted a preview of earlier, if you want to use it.

Top Bottom