Man Made Global Warming is a Media Made Myth

Formaldehyde said:
I would contend the scientific perspective is that the subject is still open for debate and subject to further research, instead of pretending that everything has already been completely resolved with no room for dissent merely because there is 'consensus' amongst a number of scientists and prominent laymen with their own obvious political agendas.

Such is the way with real science as opposed to sophistry. The bottom line is that science isn't a democracy. It doesn't really matter how many people believe one particular interpretation of the facts. Just ask Copernicus and Galileo.

I agree with Formaldehyde on something, amazing.

Princeps said:
A lot of the deniers are soaked in corporate money. If there was real evidence against manmade global warming, it would be out already and the proponents would be discredited.

But there isn't.

Since when is Greenpeace any better? :mischief:

I would contend the scientific perspective is that the subject is still open for debate and subject to further research, instead of pretending that everything has already been completely resolved with no room for dissent merely because there is 'consensus' amongst a number of scientists and prominent laymen with their own obvious political agendas.

Such is the way with real science as opposed to sophistry. The bottom line is that science isn't a democracy. It doesn't really matter how many people believe one particular interpretation of the facts. Just ask Copernicus and Galileo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocentric_model
Strawman? Nobody is denying the fact that there could be future research disproving established theories concerning global warming.

There is undeniably correlation between CO2 levels and temperature:

There is also a solid mechanism by which CO2 levels affects temperature:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_effect

Therefore it's pretty clear that humanity is causing some global warming. The real question is "how much?".

Thanks. That is another good point here for my thread.

If you think man-made gloabl warming is myth then how is Al Gore's plane fuel consumption important?

I think it's supposed to point out Gore's hypocrisy. AGW deniers have many strawmen from which to draw.

Kerozine said:
IIRC, we're pumping in about 11.3 gigatonnes of CO2 per annum into the atmosphere.

It's a large number relative to what?

It's a large number relative to the normal flux of CO2 in the atmosphere. It's not a large number with regards to how much CO2 ppm increases each year.

@Ziggy Stardust & El_Machinae

Those are the kinds of answers I'm looking for something other than [insert large number without a context]. The New Scientist graph also makes my eyes bleed.

Doing my bit to throw my weight against global warming... Saying that global warming is a myth is the same as saying there are no water in the ocean or that there are no trees in the forest. Poor deluded fools!

Sure it snows in Texas... but recent years, there are occasional ice hails here in Singapore.. And we are at the EQUATOR. The climate IS going nuts.

*Global is not just the world becoming warming, it is about the climate pattern going crazy. We are hotter here on the average with irregular cold spells. Not normal.

*It is not the amount of CO2... It is the RATE of which CO2 is being release. We need to slow down.

Strawman? Nobody is denying the fact that there could be future research disproving established theories concerning global warming.

Strawman? Did you even bother to read the post to which I was responding?

A lot of the deniers are soaked in corporate money. If there was real evidence against manmade global warming, it would be out already and the proponents would be discredited.

But there isn't.

Most of the "man is killing the world" crowd isn't really interested in science. They are simply using global warming as an excuse to further their own political agendas, as they have since the inception of environmentalism. For more details, read Neal Stephenson's excellent novel on this subject:

http://books.google.com/books?id=rY...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#PPA14,M1

And the "established theories" to which you are referring are actually hotly contested by many experts in the field today. Most people simply ignore them or try to discredit them because this is really more about politics than it is about science. This can be clearly seen in all the rhetoric from the Al Gore crowd. As far as they are concerned, this topic has been closed to further research and even discussion for years now, and anybody who disagrees with them must be an idiot.

"CO2 is good for plants. How could it be bad? The more CO2 we get the more plants we'll get. Plants consume CO2, so it's a self-balancing system, and one that just makes things *better* as we pollute more. Not that CO2 is a pollutant, mind you. Cutting down on CO2 would be a bad thing, as a matter of fact - won't anyone think of the crops???!!!"

Why? It has pretty colours.

Saying that global warming is a myth is the same as saying there are no water in the ocean or that there are no trees in the forest. Poor deluded fools!

But the obvious question still remains:

Therefore it's pretty clear that humanity is causing some global warming. The real question is "how much?".

Indeed.

Ziggy Stardust said:
Why? It has pretty colours.

The pretty colours jar my eyes. It has to many divergent shapes and colours to have a half decent impact. I had to tilt my head to make sense of it.

Xyan said:
Doing my bit to throw my weight against global warming... Saying that global warming is a myth is the same as saying there are no water in the ocean or that there are no trees in the forest. Poor deluded fools!

Rubbish.

Xyan said:
Sure it snows in Texas... but recent years, there are occasional ice hails here in Singapore.. And we are at the EQUATOR. The climate IS going nuts.

Anecdote =/ Proof.

Xyan said:
*Global is not just the world becoming warming, it is about the climate pattern going crazy. We are hotter here on the average with irregular cold spells. Not normal.

Averages over how long? My main problem with "we are hotter here on the average" is that records quite often do not exist over a sufficiently long period to actually discern if this is a natural part of your climate cycle or if it is indeed out of the ordinary. Singapore is also a spectacularly bad example being just over 200 years old.

Formaldehyde said:
Most of the "man is killing the world" crowd isn't really interested in science. They are simply using global warming as an excuse to further their own political agendas, as they have since the inception of environmentalism.

For further reference to reality and away from "man is killing the world crowd".

Murky said:
I'm skeptical of global warming skeptics.

I'm skeptical of everyone. I usually cross check any new climatic claims against what the IPCC has said. Its an effective means of sifting the good from the bad.

EDIT:

Formaldehyde said:
For more details, read Neal Stephenson's excellent novel on this subject:

Is that a spoof?

I'm skeptical of global warming skeptics.

And I'm skeptical of anybody who isn't a scientist trying to discuss science other than the issues of ethics and morality. Most people simply don't have the background to understand the basics, much less the advanced topics.

Masada, if you look at the short-term graphs, things actually look worse than they are. Though I wonder why you think we don't know what the climate was like over 200 years ago? There are numerous ways to figure that out.

And the UN's IPCC is a necessary beast, because we're only going to get solutions to polluting the Commons through a global set of treaties. There's no other system or entity by which to enact these changes.

In the link I posted:

How can we be sure that human emissions are responsible for the rising CO2 in the atmosphere? There are several lines of evidence. Fossil fuels were formed millions of years ago. They therefore contain virtually no carbon-14, because this unstable carbon isotope, formed when cosmic rays hit the atmosphere, has a half-life of around 6000 years. So a dropping concentration of carbon-14 can be explained by the burning of fossil fuels. Studies of tree rings have shown that the proportion of carbon-14 in the atmosphere dropped by about 2% between 1850 and 1954. After this time, atmospheric nuclear bomb tests wrecked this method by releasing large amounts of carbon-14.
Volcanic misunderstanding

Fossil fuels also contain less carbon-13 than carbon-12, compared with the atmosphere, because the fuels derive from plants, which preferentially take up the more common carbon-12. The ratio of carbon-13 to carbon-12 in the atmosphere and ocean surface waters is steadily falling, showing that more carbon-12 is entering the atmosphere.

Finally, claims that volcanoes emit more CO2 than human activities are simply not true. In the very distant past, there have been volcanic eruptions so massive that they covered vast areas in lava more than a kilometre thick and appear to have released enough CO2 to warm the planet after the initial cooling caused by the dust (see Wipeout). But even with such gigantic eruptions, most of subsequent warming may have been due to methane released when lava heated coal deposits, rather than from CO2 from the volcanoes (see also Did the North Atlantic's 'birth' warm the world?).

And I'm skeptical of anybody who isn't a scientist trying to discuss science other than the issues of ethics and morality. Most people simply don't have the background to understand the basics, much less the advanced topics.

There are many professions besides science that equip you to understand the basic principles of climate change.

1) Green house gases regulate the temperature of the planet.
2) Increasing green house gases increases the temperature.
3) Co2 is a green house gas
4) We are emitting too much Co2 and increasing the average global temperature.
5) We must find a way to reduce Co2 and other harmful GHG emissions.

I think most 4th graders could comprehend that. The deniers typically only see the problems of addressing the issue, blinding themselves to the dangers of ignoring it.

Top Bottom