[Religion and Revolution]: Feedback and Questions

Here's the file. I played this map previous version of RAR(I don't remember version number. sorry), but I can't play this map on RAR ver 2.2
Alright, I solved the bug.
It seems that since version 2.2, playing with 48 players have become mandatory. So I only needed to add the missing players.

I've solved another bug. In RAR, there's no:
FeatureType=FEATURE_FOREST, FeatureVariety=2

I've changed them to:
FeatureType=FEATURE_FOREST_TUNDRA, FeatureVariety=0

I've also noticed once wrap X is triggered as "1", the color of the oceans become all green. I have no idea where that comes from but it doesn't seem to have any impact on gameplay.

You can download the corrected file below. :)

Attachments

• Earth.zip
    31.5 KB · Views: 82
It seems that since version 2.2, playing with 48 players have become mandatory.

That is not completely correct.
(Almost though. :) )

It is of course still possible to play maps with much less players in RaR.
(So you could also play a Gigantic Map with only 20 active Players.)

The entries for Players need to be in the map though and need to match DLL.
(Telling if the player is active or not.)

If a WorlbuilderSave (Map) is created with RaR, those entries are automatically created of course.

It is quite easy to break compatibility of (external) Maps (or MapScripts) by heavy modding as we had done through our development.
(e.g. when changing TerrainTypes or increasing maximal number of Players)

But if you know a bit about modding Maps (or MapScripts) it is also possible to repair.
(In some cases it might be a lot of work though.)

Especially Scenario Maps (with fixed Players, fixed Bonus Ressources, fixed ...) can quite easily become incompatible.
Random Maps (with random Players, random Bonus Ressources, random ...) are a lot less risky and much easier to maintain.

But if you know a bit about modding Maps (or MapScripts) it is also possible to repair.
(In some cases it might be a lot of work though.)
Not necessarily a lot of work. It's largely about spotting the wrong string and replacing it.

Of course we all know Notepad++ is pretty efficient for that, but just as a quick advice I would also tell Microsoft Excel is incredibly fast to operate complicated operations at a massive scale (much more than php for the matter). It is thanks to Excel I've been able to double the size of the Americas map.

Here, to spot out the bugs, I've copied pasted the Earth map script on Excel and applied the "delete double entries" function. That's how I've been quickly able to reduce a file of 45,852 lines to only 34 key expressions. That was very powerful to spot whether the bug came from invalid plots or not.

Not necessarily a lot of work.

As I said:
In some cases it might be a lot of work though. :)

If you can simply do "Search and Replace" it is usually easy.
But if you want to create an atmospheric map that also makes sense considering gameplay it might be a completely different story.

When "Taiga" (FEATURE_FOREST_TUNDRA) was added, I went through every map and manually replaced (some) normal Forest where it made sense considering gameplay and atmosphere.
(I could not simply do "Search and Replace" because that would have completely destroyed atmosphere, gameplay and balancing of those maps.)

Trust me, that was a lot of work.
(Simply because I wanted to create atmospherical and balanced maps and not maps that just work.)

I agree. You were right to say it might be a lot of work, but I was simply adding it's not necessarily a lot of work, just to not discourage people to do so. It's all about seeing the glass half-full or half-empty! :)

Of course I know the search and replace function, but in order to find a bug you have no idea about, you need to isolate all the different strings to find the buggy one... and Excel is more powerful for that than Notepad. That's done in the time required to click on the button. Furthermore, with the different Excel functions, it's very easy to generate and manage hundreds of thousands of additional lines. My first idea was to operate so in php and my server wasn't able to handle it (SQL requests are slow compared to excel).

I have absolutely no doubt that manual work on WorldBuilder, thinking click after click, was a lot of work and I have a very accurate idea about what it represented. I have created many maps from scratch on WorldBuilder by myself, and it's true that on first sight we have absolutely no idea about the number of different layers there is on a Civ4Col map (or a Civ4 map in general for the matter). Creating a WBSave map from scratch is not about creating a single map, but 50 maps stacked one on the other.

Alright, I solved the bug.
It seems that since version 2.2, playing with 48 players have become mandatory. So I only needed to add the missing players.

I've solved another bug. In RAR, there's no:
FeatureType=FEATURE_FOREST, FeatureVariety=2

I've changed them to:
FeatureType=FEATURE_FOREST_TUNDRA, FeatureVariety=0

I've also noticed once wrap X is triggered as "1", the color of the oceans become all green. I have no idea where that comes from but it doesn't seem to have any impact on gameplay.

You can download the corrected file below. :)

Thank you for your work. I'm now enjoying this map with RAR ver 2.2. :)

It has been a really long way from the beginnings of modding Civ4Col Vanilla in 2008 to Religion and Revolution now in 2015.
(RaR started in 2011 and was based on the last published version of TAC base mod.)

This modding community has seen many other great projects as well of course.
(Personally I especially see AoDII and TAC as Civ4Col modding milestones.)

Without all the great other mods and all the great work of this community, RaR would never have existed.
(Even though we can be very proud of our own work as well.)

----

We have seen many modders come and leave again over those years.
But there have always been a few modders keeping the fire at least alive.

Of course our progress within the last years was much slower than in the beginning of the project.
However, we still achieved to implement a few additions from time to time and to fix the bugs reported.

Our partners and modmodders had a huge share in that.
Without their help and contributions, RaR would probably have completely ended a long time ago.

----

And of course there is our community.
RaR achieved to acquire some "loyal fans" that regularly visit our forums and we are really proud of that.

Bug reports, let's play videos, facebook appearance, ... all of that did help us.
It is also very nice to quite regularly get positive feedback in our forum.

----

We know that our mod is not "perfect" and a lot in modding is a matter of personal taste anyways.
Thus there are uncounted possible further new features and improvments.

Most of those new features and improvments will probably be implemented by modmodders though.
Schmiddie and myself simply don't have much time and motivation left for modding anymore due to real life and our jobs.

Thus I would personally really like to see a new big project starting that uses RaR as a base.
Maybe one day some of the mod modders around will join forces for that.

Until that happens we might try to continue to collect bugfixes and maybe a few tiny additions and improvments.
Simply don't expect any miracles.

----

Summary:

Thanks a lot to our partners and our community. :)
I do hope that you all continue to enjoy playing and modmodding RaR.

Hi Ray, I have been playing RaR since you and Robert Surcoff started way back! Really appreciate all of the effort you and the team have done for this and I have to say that RaR is a very worthy successor to TAC and is a milestone in itself.:goodjob:

I agree. RaR is a milestone.

What do you think about implementing the possibility to go directly from the european ports to the african or the pirates nest? I would reflect the historical trade routes.
Weapons, trade and luxury trade goods could be sold to africa.

Maybe to implement asian port(s)!

What do you think?
Thx :)

Hi
I have got a problem with Forts and monastery as buildings in terrain. How can I mount a unit in it?
When I send a military unit on this plot where a fort is placed, the only order I can give is to guard or to entrench. The same manner with monastery and missionary. In colopadia is written that forts has to be mounted by a militray unit and monastery by missionary. How does that work? Both buildings are within my culture borders but not inside the radius of a settlement respectively a city. Do I have to build forts and monastery only on city plots and will they mounted directly in the city screen? Is that the fault, my fault? But when I set a missionary in city screen on this plot where monastery is located I only can give him order to cultivate or to collect resources. What do I wrong?

All you have to do is to fortify the unit.
(Those improvments work on map and have nothing to do with CityScreen.)

Those improvments do not need to be placed inside your own cultural borders.
(You can also build them inside of your own cultural borders of course.)

I had to laugh the other day. I was playing and a tribe that was pleased with me offered a defensive pact. I miss-clicked and said no. So I went back to an auto save and hoped I'd be offered it again so I could accept it, and on that turn he DOWed me. You have to love those psycho tribes.

All you have to do is to fortify the unit.
(Those improvments work on map and have nothing to do with CityScreen.)

Those improvments do not need to be placed inside your own cultural borders.
(You can also build them inside of your own cultural borders of course.)

But what means "fortify" the unit? What order? In german button "F" = "verschanzen" ?
An the same for missionary in monastery? :dunno:

But what means "fortify" the unit? What order? In german button "F" = "verschanzen" ?
An the same for missionary in monastery? :dunno:

I don't know german but it is the icon with the "shield". (hover over it to see it's equivalent german word) Not the one for sleep\sentry which would be "Zzz".

Well the hotkey in English is F and verschanzen sounds correct too for this unit order. Remember it is named for military units to not move in exchange for gaining a defence bonus. It makes less sense for missionaries, but technically it's the same order as you would use with musketmen or cannons.

Thank you folks :)
I will use the Hotkey F for my missionary on the field where monastery is located.
And the same for my military unit on the field where fort is located.

I just discover this mod (2.4 latest April built), after having played TAC for a long time...
There is obviously a LOT in it, and even many features I noticed in the Civ4/Fall From Heaven mod... great job.
But I experience a little annoying problem: I can not assign a shortcut to a unit/group (CTRL+1 to 0), and I loose track of my scouts, ships, armies.
Even worst, when I press by instance CTRL+1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/0 for assigning a key to a seasoned scout, it removes his skill and downgrade him to regular scout/colonist..
Impossible to find any post concerning this CTRL management, in tips, feedback, manual, etc...

Any change in the key sequence for assigning a key/shortcut? How can I do it?

Top Bottom