any ideas for "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: The Movie"?

Ooo.. the Rangerover Rick idea is a neat one.

I'd say start out, as was mentioned before with introduction to the Unity Mission and beginning credits. Then when the opening credit sequence is over, start the film with a scene depicting Rick's battle with the mind worms.

That's a real attention grabber and introduces the audience to the horrors of the planet.

Rachel Weiss as Deirdra, no doubt about it.
Morgan Freeman as Morgan, obviously.
Zak.. hm. That's less obvious. I'll get back to you on that.
Michelle Rodriguez as Santiago. Penelope Cruz? Are you crazy? Santiago has to be a badass.
Yang.. are there any old asian guys in Hollywood? We might have to pick a no-name, there.
Alexander Siddig is my best guess for Pravin Lal. I can't think of any Indian actors, but his acting in Kingdom of Heaven and Syriana lead me to believe he'd do well.
And.. how about Susan Sarandon for Miriam? I bet she'd love that. :lol:

I think the prequel idea is a pretty good one, but the problem with that is there isn't a resolution at the end. Everyone just factions off and goes their seperate ways.

I think this would work best as a story about persueing transcendence, but not with reduced emphasis on the mind worms. The mind worms and increasing fungal activity are what force the point. Without those, there's no modivation and the plot just becomes a lame art-house flick.

The main problem I see with this is I have trouble seeing how you can introduce an audience to all this and then have a plot that spans several hundred years in the course of two (or even four) hours. You either have to cut out a lot of stuff, or just leave the audience in the dark about what most of what their talking about means.

I see this as being a better graphic novel or possibly TV show. I'm partial to Anime, and I think that would be the best approach. Whenever TV takes a SciFi concept and makes it into a series, you end up with a repackaged Star Trek. I think an Anime would have a better chance of approching it as a unique story, and not trying to fit it into a box. But, of course, that could still happen.

It's just that with American TV... it *will* happen. The SciFi channel would get it and it would just be another endless regurgitation of familiar themes.

You really don't know the meaning of "good reviews" and "Academy Award Nomination for Best Picture". Plus there is no way that Morgan Freeman is fitting for the role of Morgan. CEO Morgan is about 50 years old & Morgan Freeman is about 60 to 70 years old. Rachel Wiess? Yeah she would make a good fitting for Deirde.

Ooo.. the Rangerover Rick idea is a neat one.

I'd say start out, as was mentioned before with introduction to the Unity Mission and beginning credits. Then when the opening credit sequence is over, start the film with a scene depicting Rick's battle with the mind worms.

That's a real attention grabber and introduces the audience to the horrors of the planet.

IT IS NOT! After the opening credits there should be a scene where the crew of Unity is on a meeting & then the core thingy whatever you call it malfunctions then the rest goes on as with the game. Your idea is pointless & out of wack. Didn't you know the basics of a plot at English class? You have a point there about the Susan Surandon as Sister Miriam Godwinson thing but your plot style, it stinks and it's pointless

Ok. I just had a thought on who would cast the role of Santiago. After watching a preview of one of the actress' movies, I think that Salma Hayek should cast the role of Santiago. Salma, inexplicably I noticed, her voice sounds like Santiago.

If there is going to be a section about the Unity in the Rangerover Rick movie, it should be wacky. I would say something WWII news-reelish. Maybe all the non-historic footage be caricatured. Then a short bit on 'the good old, fighting boys' in the early years leading up to Rangerover Rick. Intersperse small speeches or quotes from the leaders. This gives everyone a tantalizing taste of the factions and leaders but allows for lots of non-fan specific directions for Rangerover Rick.

If there is going to be a section about the Unity in the Rangerover Rick movie, it should be wacky. I would say something WWII news-reelish. Maybe all the non-historic footage be caricatured. Then a short bit on 'the good old, fighting boys' in the early years leading up to Rangerover Rick. Intersperse small speeches or quotes from the leaders. This gives everyone a tantalizing taste of the factions and leaders but allows for lots of non-fan specific directions for Rangerover Rick.

Who the heck is Rangerover Rick????

It's Recon Rover Rick, but close enough.

[QUOTE="'Mythology for Profit' - Nwabudike Morgan]Richard Baxton piloted his Recon Rover into a fungal vortex and held off four waves of mind worms, saving an entire colony.
We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character with a multi-tiered media campaign: televids, touchbooks, holos, psi-tours--the works.
People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers.[/QUOTE]

^
Which is the quote for the Hologram Theater. Of course, if you're one of those people like me who always intensely prioritizes The Virtual World, you may never build Hologram Theaters.

And it would actually be a really great introduction: Throw the viewer immediately into a battle between laser-firing rovers and mindworms, watch the great hero save the die and die, then suddenly switch to, say, an interview with Nwabudike Morgan with that quote. ("Thank you, CEO Morgan. That was our gracious Chairman and CEO, speaking with us today about his newest bestseller, Mythology for Profit, available on the MorganNet and from your nearest MorganBooks." [Cut to some scene relevant to a plotline where the interview is being watched through a holoscreen]).

[Sound of laser cannons firing, darkness lifts onto a scene of battle]

“Hold your fire! Wait for the next mindworms to show themselves. Be on your guard, and do not let the fear overtake you.”

[Battle continues, first line is overrun, see gruesome shots of death by mindworm infestation]

[Cut to behind the lines, rover captain {Richard Baxton} and force commander at the edge of the settlement.]

“Our men and women are going to be slaughtered out there! This garrison has little training, and no more than one in ten has faced mindworms before.”

“We will have to abandon the colony. Take your rovers and report back to Commissioner Lal at Headquarters. All of the civilians should have reached the rover station by now. Take as many as you can.”

“No. We don’t have enough to save even half the population of this settlement, and your men will all die out there.”

“If you don’t run, we’ll all die here, the little children as much as me. The U.N. Mission is paramount. We have to preserve as much as we can.”

“What if we took the rovers into the fungus itself? The mindworms’ greatest weakness is their slow speed, and we are protected somewhat against their attacks by the glass. We could distract them, hold them off, maybe long enough for your forces to take the civilians out of here and into the open plains, far away from any fungus.”

…etc. I figure, plotwise, it would be a good idea to intertwine the factions a bit more than in the actual game, have them kind of be competing groups within a disorganized human nation rather than completely different settlements. They can still fight with each other, send out colonies of their own, etc., but they would in theory be united in the Planetary Council.

Verily said:
Which is the quote for the Hologram Theater. Of course, if you're one of those people like me who always intensely prioritizes The Virtual World, you may never build Hologram Theaters.

That is amazingly accurate. I do ALWAYS build the Virtual World and ignore Hologram Theatres.

Also the rest of your idea is right on as well.

You really don't know the meaning of "good reviews" and "Academy Award Nomination for Best Picture". Plus there is no way that Morgan Freeman is fitting for the role of Morgan. CEO Morgan is about 50 years old & Morgan Freeman is about 60 to 70 years old. Rachel Wiess? Yeah she would make a good fitting for Deirde.

Sure I do, the problem with 'Good Reviews' and 'Academy Awards' is that they're both absolutely terrible ways of judging a movie's quality and merit.

I agree with reviewers about as often as I disagree with them, so there's no sense in paying attention to them. The problem with reviewers is that they review keeping in mind the standards of the public at large.

Morigan is several hundred years old. Morgan Freeman's biggest short comming would be the lack of an accent, but that's really not a very big deal in my mind. The guy's a fantastic actor with great flexibility. I don't see having to dye his hair gray as a huge limiting factor. =P

IT IS NOT! After the opening credits there should be a scene where the crew of Unity is on a meeting & then the core thingy whatever you call it malfunctions then the rest goes on as with the game. Your idea is pointless & out of wack. Didn't you know the basics of a plot at English class? You have a point there about the Susan Surandon as Sister Miriam Godwinson thing but your plot style, it stinks and it's pointless

Jeez, what a snore. I'd walk out of that. Sounds like the beginning of a Star Trek flick, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless it's not a Star Trek flick.

Actually, I'm a fantastic writer as any of my instructors would be happy to tell you, but I suppose you're entitled to your unqualified opinion. I'd respond to your criticisms, but ' it stinks' just doesn't strike me as very constructive. So, I guess I'll just say that if you mean 'it's not fanboy jerkoff material' when you say 'it stinks', I'll concede that point.

Also, as I recall, the malfunction occurs while they are in stasis and the computer wakes them early and in dealing with that the captain is assassinated and the factionization happens.

“Hold your fire! Wait for the next mindworms to show themselves. Be on your guard, and do not let the fear overtake you.”

[Battle continues, first line is overrun, see gruesome shots of death by mindworm infestation]

[Cut to behind the lines, rover captain {Richard Baxton} and force commander at the edge of the settlement.]

“Our men and women are going to be slaughtered out there! This garrison has little training, and no more than one in ten has faced mindworms before.”

“We will have to abandon the colony. Take your rovers and report back to Commissioner Lal at Headquarters. All of the civilians should have reached the rover station by now. Take as many as you can.”

“No. We don’t have enough to save even half the population of this settlement, and your men will all die out there.”

“If you don’t run, we’ll all die here, the little children as much as me. The U.N. Mission is paramount. We have to preserve as much as we can.”

“What if we took the rovers into the fungus itself? The mindworms’ greatest weakness is their slow speed, and we are protected somewhat against their attacks by the glass. We could distract them, hold them off, maybe long enough for your forces to take the civilians out of here and into the open plains, far away from any fungus.”

…etc. I figure, plotwise, it would be a good idea to intertwine the factions a bit more than in the actual game, have them kind of be competing groups within a disorganized human nation rather than completely different settlements. They can still fight with each other, send out colonies of their own, etc., but they would in theory be united in the Planetary Council.

The break down of the command structure and factionalization would make a very involved plot. Seeing all the leaders waring for power and ideology amidst the daily struggle for basic survival and wrestling with the faceless mindworm horror. =o

EDIT: I was outside having a smoke and writing it in my head, this is what I came up with.

Start out with something similar to the opening sequence to the game. Deffinetely use that quote from the very Genesis, 'And so man was cast out of the Garden..', that's some really powerful stuff. Then, you know, civilization breaking down and the quick explanation, 'in the closing years of the 20th century blah blah blah'. The Spaceship flying through space, then the opening credits roll and the camera pans to see the see the stars wiz past and the wonders the galaxy has to offer (probably somewhat inaccurately, since Aplha Centauri is the closest star, but only the super-geeks are going to care, it's just representational.) Then it pans and we see Planet come into view, the twin stars comming out from behind it and illuminating the words 'Alpha Centauri'.

The camera descends into the atmosphere and gradually raido transmissions are audible and become clearer, indistinguishable military sounding stuff then once it's decipherable, we see the recon rover scooting around and hear his transmission. "Roger that, command. Recon1 returning to base."

Base: Negative Recon1, hold your position. Just a second... the sensors are picking up some odd readings out in that area, you seeing anything? Over.

The camera reaches the rover, by now. We take Rick's view and he looks around from the cockpit. Then the camera moves out and we get a closer look at the Xenofungal outcropping he's patrolling along.

Recon1: That's a negative, command. All's quiet out here. Suggesting they might be malfunctioning, again? Over.

We start seeing movement in the Xenofungus, but it's not clear what the movement is.

Base: Yeah, it's the same one as last week. But the diagnostics seem okay. What the? Delta wave emissions? That doesn't make any sense. Yeah, they must be. You are cleared to return to base, Recon1. Over.

A mind worm boil creeps out towards the craft.

Recon1: Roger that...

He notices and the boil as it lunges towards him. He starts taking evasive action. Manuvering to try to put the creatures in the line of his weapons.

Recon1: Negavtive! Negative! Command, alien lifeforms spotted. What the hell are those things??

Images of various horrors flash over the screen and the sound of screaming becomes apparent.

Base: RECON1? RECON1? Status report? Rick, what the hell's going on out there?

Recon1: AAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhh! Jesus! Command, these have got to be those Mind Worms we've been hearing about.

Rick regains composure just in time to shake loose the worms. Occasional horrors flash on the screen but Rick steels himself and shuts them out, whips around and blasts the boil.

Recon1: Command, I have a confirmed kill. Damn! My rover's damaged, I'm heading back in.

Base: Afirmative! Rick, sensors are going crazy out there get back to base immediately... *static*

Another boil he spotted and skirmished with takes out his antenna and the camera pulls back to show the entire Xenofungal outcropping comming to life and Rick realizes he doesn't stand a chance either way and so takes the waves of mindworms head-on.

Seems sorta corny, when I write it. Needs a little sharpening and I think that would work pretty good. x_X

^

And it would actually be a really great introduction: Throw the viewer immediately into a battle between laser-firing rovers and mindworms, watch the great hero save the die and die, then suddenly switch to, say, an interview with Nwabudike Morgan with that quote. ("Thank you, CEO Morgan. That was our gracious Chairman and CEO, speaking with us today about his newest bestseller, Mythology for Profit, available on the MorganNet and from your nearest MorganBooks." [Cut to some scene relevant to a plotline where the interview is being watched through a holoscreen]).

Sure I do, the problem with 'Good Reviews' and 'Academy Awards' is that they're both absolutely terrible ways of judging a movie's quality and merit.

I agree with reviewers about as often as I disagree with them, so there's no sense in paying attention to them. The problem with reviewers is that they review keeping in mind the standards of the public at large.

Morigan is several hundred years old. Morgan Freeman's biggest short comming would be the lack of an accent, but that's really not a very big deal in my mind. The guy's a fantastic actor with great flexibility. I don't see having to dye his hair gray as a huge limiting factor. =P

Jeez, what a snore. I'd walk out of that. Sounds like the beginning of a Star Trek flick, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless it's not a Star Trek flick.

Actually, I'm a fantastic writer as any of my instructors would be happy to tell you, but I suppose you're entitled to your unqualified opinion. I'd respond to your criticisms, but ' it stinks' just doesn't strike me as very constructive. So, I guess I'll just say that if you mean 'it's not fanboy jerkoff material' when you say 'it stinks', I'll concede that point.

Also, as I recall, the malfunction occurs while they are in stasis and the computer wakes them early and in dealing with that the captain is assassinated and the factionization happens.

Verily & CheScott, you two have no imaginations. What about Denzel Washington as Morgan? Probably Morgan Freeman would retire when the film would be released (if it would be released).

I think the only intros I would accept are mine & sirshwick's. Those are very spiritual like the game. The Recon Rover Ranger plot that Verily & CheScott would be in the early middle of the film with the romance sequence that is tied in the film. WE SHOULDE MAKE THIS FILM UNIVERSAL, PEOPLE. And I do not mean Universal like "Universal Pictures". I mean it should connect to everyone & be entertaining, too.

Verily & CheScott, you two have no imaginations. What about Denzel Washington as Morgan? Probably Morgan Freeman would retire when the film would be released (if it would be released).

Dude! You just told me Morgan Freeman was too young! >=O

Denzel could pull it off though. Sort of a reverse Malcom X role. :lol:

Understanding the realities of entertainment isn't an act of imagination. You mentioned something about my English classes earlier... Well, in my Creative Writing class last semester one of the strongest points our teacher made was about using a strong opening sentence.

Wanting to open people's minds and expand their horizons is great, but there's nothing to say you can't do so by starting off with a proverbial bang. A good tussle between 'good' and 'evil' to start off gives people a reference point. You can get into if 'good' is really so good and if 'evil' is really that later, but if you don't MAKE your audience pay attention (and they do not do so willingly) all of that philosophy will be totally wasted.

I fully agree, it should be Universal. And in that, you have to accept that the masses demand action. They'll follow you anywhere, but you've got to quench that thirst.

Top Bottom