100,000 Military Strength by Turn 176 on King???

KBronx17

Chieftain
Okay. The details of the game:
-I'm playing as Denmark
-Continents
-King Difficulty (5)
-Civs on my Continent: Me, Rome, Celtics, Ottomans

Around Turn 100, after founding three cities (us four civs all had three cities at this point), Suleiman and I by coincidence declare war on Rome. Rome actually has four cities by this point. Rome has a very weak military, while I have a decent one. Suleiman's is pretty strong, as I will explain later.

Suleiman takes one city, I take Rome's other three. Knowing this is Civ V, I do expect Suleiman to be a jerk and declare war on me. Obviously he does. He takes the three cities that I captured from Rome with ease. Okay, my military wasn't huge to begin with, and now Suleiman was fighting the leftovers from the Rome war.

What I didn't anticipate is how truly staggering his military was.

He makes the trek with his army to my lands. I was at the northern part of the Continent. Suleiman started in the South, and Augustus Caesar was in the middle. Boudicca was like in the southeast I believe.

Suleiman, with a ridiciulous amount of units, attacks me and takes my three cities out in about 10 turns. Now yes, my military strength was about 10,000. But I checked the Demographics screen....and Suleiman had a military strength of 98,000! (38% literacy...he had Janissaries. This is roughly at the start of the Renaissance Era. I had a 34% literacy rate, and my cities all had about 20 combat strength).

TL;DR How the heck does the CPU with these conditions get such a huge military? I mean for about 145 turns, he had three or four cities. He only had Rome's cities for about 10 turns before he wiped me out. And better yet, in the Demographics screen, there was another AI which had nearly the same military strength! Unknown player though

He just went for a military/production focus.
If I try it's not hard for me at all to pump out a unit every 2-3 turns, same would go for the AI right?
On a side note, it's ridiculously easy to turtle it out against the AI on Prince/King.

Top Bottom