Questions about The BUG Mod

I really do want to have just the necessary files for Sevopedia 2.3.1 . . . I really now understand why mods aren't using this as they seem to have to have a lot of BUG stuff even if they don't want it. Sevopedia was initially separate. Can't it become separate again?

I think there's a misconception that BUG is an offshoot of Sevopedia. BUG is merely a custom core (options handling and screen, initialization, etc) with several other mods packaged together. Some of those mods are written entirely by the BUG team from scratch, many of the others are heavily modified.

However, Sevopedia 2.3.1 is still a separate mod all on its own. You are free to install it or include it in your mod. We have no say in that, nor would we want to. When I initially included it in BUG, I don't think I made any changes. Since then we have certainly made some enhancements to it (strategy articles, hints, shortcuts, traits). Like the rest of BUG, some are custom, and some are merged in from others' work.

Packaging a mod to be standalone is difficult and time-consuming. I think as a team we have done an excellent job in keeping BUG easy to use and extend. However, expecting us to do the same for each individual mod component -- many of which have been abandoned by the original authors or completely rewritten by us -- would not only be unrealistic, it would mean BUG development would slow to a crawl.

I can't speak for our users, but I would much rather devote my time to creating new features for BUG.

That being said, if any mod authors wish to include parts of BUG but are confused about how to proceed, please don't hesitate to ask questions. If you put in a little effort to figure out enough to ask good questions, I'm more than happy to assist you. I have been doing some work this weekend to make BUG even easier to merge with other mods.

This seems like a neat feature, only, it's not available? I have the strategy guide section, just not the 'traits' section.

As Caesium pointed out, this is only in SVN and has not been packaged for release yet. However, anyone is free to grab BUG from our SVN code repository. Yes, that sounds very complicated, but it's actually fairly simple.

Alerum wrote directions in the Download BUG and BAT Here! thread. There is a program that installs in minutes and works within the Windows Explorer. You could be using the latest BUG version in 10 minutes. :)

I had a look via search but can't seem to find any specific explanation of what each element of the BUG mod does. (Hence, I'm unsure if I want to install it or not.) Can someone explain or point me to a link? Thanks!

The info is avaliable at BUG mod thread

I know about that thread actually. I went though a fair bit of it, and downloaded the mod, but neither in that file nor the thread could I find a simple explanation of what each part addresses. The discussion appears to assume one already knows what's going on. I don't, unfortunately, but I'll have another look.

If you downloaded and installed the mod, go to documents/my Games/Bug Mod . There is a BUG mod help file with all the info on the included features .

And don't worry on the install. BUG does not alter native Civ IV files. If you don't like , just uninstall it.

Also, if you want more information about the component mods, a forum search for the name of the component usually leads to success. That was the method I used when I started with BUG. In the meantime, however, the BUG team has put together a comprehensive help file which should have the information you're looking for. It's in windows help file format (.chm), so you might have missed it if you were looking for text files.

Thanks, folks! This has been helpful. I'll definitely be using this mod.

Ginger Ale, can you merge this into the Questions about BUG Mod thread we already have active please?

Thank you.:)

Cam - I have it on my PC, but haven't had a chance to update it as everytime I tried I've gotten errors with the upload server.

You mean the new Traits that EmperorFool added? There should be an xml called "TraitsPedia_Civ4GameText.xml" Add your 3 new traits to that file. Then edit "Civ4NewConceptsInfo.xml" and make sure to define the new traits to call up within this file.

Alerum is right, but here's some specific info:

XML / BasicInfos / CIV4NewConceptInfos.xml

Code:
		<!-- Traits Infos -->
		<!-- Modders: These must be kept in sync and sorted if you add/remove any traits -->
		<NewConceptInfo>
			<Type>CONCEPT_TRAIT_AGGRESSIVE</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_AGGRESSIVE</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_AGGRESSIVE_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
		</NewConceptInfo>

Copy one of the blocks (like Agressive that I have here), paste it in, and modify with your new trait, making sure to put it in the correct alphabetical order (for the Sevopedia). Do this once for each new trait.

XML / Text / TraitsPedia_CIV4GameText.xml

Add a <TEXT>...</TEXT> block for each new trait. This list doesn't need to be in any particular order. This is the strategy text that is displayed below the effects of the trait.

Python / BUG / TraitUtil.py

If you want your new traits to have their own small and large icon in the Sevopedia, modify the init() function by adding new addTrait(...) lines:

Code:
def init():
	"Performs one-time initialization after the game starts up."
	addTrait("SPIRITUAL", game.getSymbolID(FontSymbols.RELIGION_CHAR), "Art/Interface/Buttons/TechTree/Meditation.dds")
	[B][I]Add your new traits here.[/I][/B]

bInitDone = True

You can pass in None for the second and/or third parameters if you want to use the default icon. I hope I coded it that way ;)

Eventually, I'll move this last step into XML.

Yep, figured this out just a little while ago. Another sevopedia question: I am looking to get rid of the BTS Concepts category and merge the entries into Game Concepts. I was looking at the code in SevoMainPy and would I be correct in saying it doesn't look like there is a real easy way to do this?

Cheers,
ripple01

Top Bottom