Thoughts on Demo?

I don't think they can change it...it ships in 3 days in Europe :lol:

@Sam: I won't forget the PC world, but perhaps my fellow geezers should join me in the 360 world? ;)

Anyone here ever lost a battle where you had the advantage? The few hour I've played already I don't believe I lost a battle yet where I had at least 1+ attack or defense. (I have lost some even matches) Maybe this is because of the low difficulty level or I've been extremely lucky.

I lost two battles in a row with Legion armies against single greek hoplites...I had an advantage of 15 vs 7.5...

Well, that´s battle for ya. The Finns won against the Russians who lost 300 000 soldiers during the winter war in 1940-42-ish while the finns lost only 30 000.

Just like football (soccer), there are no sure wins :)

I'm enamored of it to be sure. I don't think any amount of will power will stop me from buying it...and playing the living hell out of it. It's different, but it still feels like Civ to me and that's good enough. I bought both CTP's, I'm sure going to buy this.

Has anyone played multiplayer?

I like it way better then I thought. I have just recently purchased a ps3 for GTA4 and streaming stuff over the network. I have played through the demo 3 times and I still can't get enough of it.

It's simplified, full of presentation, and yet.. it's got everything civ 4 has..

I lost two battles in a row with Legion armies against single greek hoplites...I had an advantage of 15 vs 7.5...

Oh yeah? well I lost my first and only warrior to a barbarian 1.5 v .5.
those hopilites are nasty, Alexander is a good pick to wipe out early.

hmmph. spent more time with the demo tonight. Not sure about buying it anymore, to be honest.
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I guess the combat system simply doesn't feel complex enough for me to "zone". Maybe.

I liked it and I'll buy it cause I like civ and I like consoles a hell of a lot more than PCs. Hope there are different speed options though. Only thing I haven't liked so far, balancing and stuff doesn't matter as much to me cause as PC gamers say, you can always patch things.

Well, for instance, I like puzzle games. But some puzzle games are more enduring challenges than others. Some are needlessly over-complicated, and some offer no challenge after a while. As a designer of other-things-than-games, I wonder if there's such a thing as a "universal-balance" or is it an "average-balance"? All I'm saying is that if it's the latter, I guess my sensibilities slightly out of their target range.

But yeah, I'm sad, look back at my past posts, I was very excited about this concept too.

I had fun with the demo. It may be Civ Lite, but that's fine by me because it seems like it is possible to finish a game in 3 hours.

So far it feels like playing a TBS game at RTS speeds. It's a lot better than Civ4 quick mode since the rules and maps are specially designed with this speed in mind.
I'm going to continue to practice up on the demo some since it seem obvious to me multiplayer will be tough and fast. As someone noted place a city at your enemies border then build a road and have huge armies in the enemies borders within one turn.

That is why this game has a place in our collection. It's good for faster games when time is an issue.

I quite like the demo. It's cool how all civs get different bonuses and traits - makes them feel much more unique than Civ IV. The silly languages are a bit annoying, but I can live with that. It actually seemed a bit confusing at first, but I dived straight in without the tutorial and I'm sure I'd pick it up eventually. I think I might actually buy it. I'm quite impressed. :thumbsup:

Played through 1 game, domination win a few turns before the demo was over. First, a couple of questions:

1. Was the demo map size the map size for all games? I know there have been comments made about the small map size but the demo seemed really small. Quite a bit of emphasis in the tutorial on exploration, but exploration lasts only a few turns.

2. Maybe I didn't research the correct tech but I didn't see any option to sign open border agreements?

3. All of the opponent civs conducted trade missions and I received a tax on it. How do you build your own trade caravans? That didn't seem to be covered in the tutorial.

Maybe I just need to play the demo again...

Initial thoughts:
I like it. Civ4 multiplayer never appealed to me, never even tried it. I was intrigued enough by the demo that I think I will check out multiplayer. Seemed like an RTS type of pace will be possible once you are comfortable with the game.

@those who made comments about the AI - What are you basing your assessment of the AI on? What did the AI do that impressed you?

You need the tech currency to build caravans.
As far as I can tell there are no open border agreements to be made, but certain units can explore enemy territory.
All maps are the same size.

some maps will have a lot more land than that, some might have less...regardless, it is enough space to build at least 6 good cities before going to war for more space.

Top Bottom