C2C - Religions discussions and ideas

I just find the amount of religions rather overwhelming; it gets far more difficult to try and discern the differences between them, and whats good for what aspects. In general, it just seemed like some of them were largely useless, though I'm sorry I can't say which right now; reinstalling C2C.

From a gameplay perspective I would want to see Andaenism stay, as it's kinda unique in its bonuses (to science). Also, I have issues with the arguemnt that seems to have at least been implied that:

1) Religions that are not favorites of some civ should not be present; and
2) Religions that only appear later in the game cannot be civ favorites because said civ would already have chosen an earlier one

Combining these two means there should be no later game religions. This is (a) historically innaccuarte (e.g. - Mormonism); and (b) removes some key gameplay factors (tech race to religions that occur at widely distributed parts of the tech tree). I personally don't much care about (a), but I very much do about (b). Other people will have the opposite preference I know, but either way I don't buy the logic.

Mormonism? Wow, is it so important?? What about Shiitism, Ortodoxy, Protestant religion then?

Mormonism? Wow, is it so important?? What about Shiitism, Ortodoxy, Protestant religion then?

It was an example of a historical late era religion is all. I wasn't suggesting it was any more imporatnt than any other, just pointing out that it certainly isn't true that all valid religion ar early-founded ones. You can blame yesterday's SC primary (and Mitt Romney) for causing that one to come to mind first.

I just find the amount of religions rather overwhelming; it gets far more difficult to try and discern the differences between them, and whats good for what aspects. In general, it just seemed like some of them were largely useless, though I'm sorry I can't say which right now; reinstalling C2C.

Totally agree with you, read few post earlier, I wrote my thoughts about which religions I think are useless. Why are you reinstalling c2c? Is v20 ready? :)

It was an example of a historical late era religion is all. I wasn't suggesting it was any more imporatnt than any other, just pointing out that it certainly isn't true that all valid religion ar early-founded ones. You can blame yesterday's SC primary (and Mitt Romney) for causing that one to come to mind first.

Anyway I don't think late religions must be in game. Islam should be the latest religion in game. Instead we could try something like split of religion. Let's say one religion is wide spread and it is official religion of two different superpower. In this case there should be probability that civilization which doesn't own holy city of that religion will found alternative holy city for itself. (Ex. Shiism for Islam, Ortodox or Protestant for Christianity etc.)

Anyway I don't think late religions must be in game. Islam should be the latest religion in game. Instead we could try something like split of religion. Let's say one religion is wide spread and it is official religion of two different superpower. In this case there should be probability that civilization which doesn't own holy city of that religion will found alternative holy city for itself. (Ex. Shiism for Islam, Ortodox or Protestant for Christianity etc.)

While disagreeing on the statement "I don't think late religions must be in game", I think your idea for religious splits is an excellent one. Could also be event-driven and force splits within a single large empire.

While disagreeing on the statement "I don't think late religions must be in game", I think your idea for religious splits is an excellent one. Could also be event-driven and force splits within a single large empire.

Yes, agree it could happen in one large empire as well but somehow less probable than if two civilizations share same religion. The main condition should be that this religion is widespread. The more spread is that religion, more probably it will split

Yes, agree it could happen in one large empire as well but somehow less probable than if two civilizations share same religion. The main condition should be that this religion is widespread. The more spread is that religion, more probably it will split

It should also happen when you have a religion in two different states with different religion civics; a free church/shinto is going to behave differently than divine cult/shinto. So perhaps when a stable empire has a religion civic differing from the civic in use in the holy city owner's empire.

So I understood how to delete religions I don't want. But how to make ngaism favourite religion for Shaka?

Totally agree with you, read few post earlier, I wrote my thoughts about which religions I think are useless. Why are you reinstalling c2c? Is v20 ready? :)

I keep trying to install the latest svn, and because of path names it won't copy correctly. Damn folder structure names are over 256 chars, meaning Windows won't copy it properly... all tangentally related to the fact that I can't brows the civlopedia and point out more specific examples, sorry.

Would perhaps linking religions and cultural buildings be appropriate, at least considering starting religions? Could they spread if that civ couldn't actually be able to found it?

I keep trying to install the latest svn, and because of path names it won't copy correctly. Damn folder structure names are over 256 chars, meaning Windows won't copy it properly... all tangentally related to the fact that I can't brows the civlopedia and point out more specific examples, sorry.

Would perhaps linking religions and cultural buildings be appropriate, at least considering starting religions? Could they spread if that civ couldn't actually be able to found it?

Sorry, but what are SVN? :p And why you should install them?

Is there ANYWAY, you can devise a system that ONLY "one" Holy City" PER city can be implemented, makes more sense that way, if you look at the attached, the city below the red arrows is file, only ONE Holy City but aloooot religions.

Since the Game selects your City for you for Holy City placement, "If" it could be adjusted so You could Pick your city for the HC, that would be ideal in my way of thinking.

As for a particular Empire(s) founding Multiple Religions this is still a Function of the Techtree Paths. When we separated Poly from Mono path it made a big improvement but it's not finished. Praetyre's suggestion is a starting point for pathing. Although I have concerns over some of the prereqs. Ideally Culture would be a logical prereq. But Cultures Current state makes a cultural prereq almost impossible to fill. Culture is still in the evolutionary process and for now should be excluded.

I disagree with you tebriz, there are Not too many religions, .And Late game religions have saved me, in my own personal experience, from being religion Founding left out. And that also applies for the AI too.

JosEPh

I disagree with you tebriz, there are Not too many religions, .And Late game religions have saved me, in my own personal experience, from being religion Founding left out. And that also applies for the AI too.

JosEPh[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but 26 religions per game...... ?! It is really big number. I deleted 8 of them, 18 is just fine for me

It's all perspective and learning how to use the current system. ;)

JosEPh

Maybe not right place to ask, but I am getting crazy that I can't find it - How can I make c2c to be default mod to load??

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Caveman2Cosmos

This should make a shortcut to desktop iirc. I have a x64 OS so mine reads \Program Files (x86) while a 32 bit OS would read just \Program Files .

JosEPh

So I understood how to delete religions I don't want. But how to make ngaism favourite religion for Shaka?

Ask in the Help Wanted Thread, i am sure someone will gladly help you out there on this issue.:)

I inherited the extra and unique religions mod from AAranda when his computer died years ago. His idea was to have religions that were unique rather than all the same. Plus allow religions to more like civics allowing you to change you religion to suit your current need.

It is in the leaderheads file in the XML/Civilizations folder.

Religion splits and cults have been done in other mods. The only way to implement it is to add more religions which sort of defeats your arguement for fewer religions.

Is there ANYWAY, you can devise a system that ONLY "one" Holy City" PER city can be implemented, makes more sense that way, if you look at the attached, the city below the red arrows is file, only ONE Holy City but aloooot religions.

I agree that there is a problem with the city choice for religion founding. It used to be the smallest city farthest from your capital, now it seams to be one of your three main cities including the capital. I disagree as far as one city can only found one religion idea. I don't know wher that mechanism is, I assume the dll but it may also be in RevDCM. I'll add it to my list of things to work on.

Top Bottom