What is your tile improvement policy?

With me I prioritize:
Mines on Salt
Farms on Wheat (near river gets priority)
Pasture on horses
Pasture on cattle
Quarries on grassland flats
Farms on grassland flats
Farms on grassland hills near rivers

From then on it's callendar luxuries, mining luxuries, pastures on sheep, farms on plains etc.

I only ever build trade posts on jungle tiles. I an get a ton of gold from things like markets and a lot of population, external trade routes, Tithe (which I get 95% of the time) and so on. Even if I devote all my trade routes to food ships, a few markets and banks in my tall cities net me enough gold.

Why do that when you can spend that time building a granary and then a wonder? Besides, if you let your warrior working out there by himself you risk losing him to 1 barbarian unit or two who often like to double on solitary units that want to clear encampments. Hand axes often specialize double teaming with other hand axes or archers that don'ttake damage when aattacking your units.

So what do you after you build a granary and a wonder? Are you only talking about super-early game? Think about later in the game, when your city has grown, all the resources you're missing out on because you don't have tile improvements.

Hand-axes are pretty rare for me, but usually when I find them I'm not that hard. I usually send two warriors to kill an encampment, but without hand-axes I could probably do it with just one. It isn't completely necessary, but it REALLY helps to adopt Honor just to take care of barbs.

That I already know. Why don't I do it? because there are already other people nearby that don't like barbarians and often times by the time I get my units to the encampment, the lair is already gone and destroyed by someone else, particularly if you're playing with no honor.

Even if you think the encampment might have already been taken care of, better to send some units over there just to make sure. If it's already destroyed, you just send your warriors back - no big deal. I just find it really unwise to neglect tile improvements altogether just because of barbs.

I prefer early production to early food, especially combined with Lux (Salt, Gold, Gems, Silver..).

Regarding Barbarians: you can even use a Scout to block them and let the city do the rest. You need to improves your tiles asap. One Archer is enough to take every camp (unless you chose raging barbs) and it gets you money, free XP and if you have a CS quest even more riches. And you should have enough time to produce an Archer because Workers can and should easily be stolen.

The problem with that is that city-states typically don't have workers in their territory until around turn 20 IME (on quick pace). Whereas you can get a worker around turn 10 if you adopt Liberty. I assume you're assuming that Liberty is not adopted?

Not necessarily. I would have hugeass cities sometimes, but very little production. If all you have is food in your surrounding tiles, you ain't gonna get anything else, no matter how many workers you have working the food-only tiles around your city.

With hammer heavy improvements, you can do fine just in early game. But if your city produce too much food, you gonna get really high hammer and science too.

Even if you think the encampment might have already been taken care of, better to send some units over there just to make sure. If it's already destroyed, you just send your warriors back - no big deal. I just find it really unwise to neglect tile improvements altogether just because of barbs.

I do that and most of the time that I do, the encampment is already cleared. Why are you going to make improvements if you end up with healthy barbarians in your borders?

I do that and most of the time that I do, the encampment is already cleared. Why are you going to make improvements if you end up with healthy barbarians in your borders?

They'll be in your borders with/without the improvements. As far as I know, not building improvements won't keep them out.

But even if it did, why would you want to keep them out if you didn't have any tile improvements to destroy?

If you realize how many resources you're losing by not doing tile improvements, I think you would strongly reconsider your position on this.

The cost of unit maintenance for one unit inside your city can easily be paid for by improving a luxury or two inside your borders, or a couple of trading posts.

They'll be in your borders with/without the improvements. As far as I know, not building improvements won't keep them out.

But even if it did, why would you want to keep them out if you didn't have any tile improvements to destroy?

If you realize how many resources you're losing by not doing tile improvements, I think you would strongly reconsider your position on this.

The cost of unit maintenance for one unit inside your city can easily be paid for by improving a luxury or two inside your borders, or a couple of trading posts.

Dude, barbarians love improvement. yes its true that barbarians will ccontinue to go into your borders when you don't have improvements but will come in less often than when you have improvements built. Improving improvements is good work but I prefer making improvements when a friendly military unit is available to fortify in the nearby improvements so that barbarians won't plunder them. I don't like my improvements plundered.

I don't really focus on working improvements because barbarians often come in and try to plunder them. Other than that, building units to defend your improvements is also too much work that I don't want to do. I rather not build any improvements at all so that the barbarians could plunder them? no thanks..

LOL. That has to be the worst piece of advice I have ever seen on any forum, regarding any game. Made my day.:goodjob:

The problem with that is that city-states typically don't have workers in their territory until around turn 20 IME (on quick pace). Whereas you can get a worker around turn 10 if you adopt Liberty. I assume you're assuming that Liberty is not adopted?

It depends on the difficulty I think. On Immortal, it's enough to scout a bit, build your most crucial stuff (Scouts, Granary, Monument) and then grab your worker. They will make another one every 10-12 turns I think, so it's good flow. And you can always capture a worker from an enemy civ. They will soon forget if you do it early enough. They start with 1 (2) on Immortal (Deity) so ot's ready to be taken immediately. :)

LOL. That has to be the worst piece of advice I have ever seen on any forum, regarding any game. Made my day.:goodjob:

That's only advice that you liked or didn't. Placing a military a unit on top of your improvements would've been way better advice then.

That's only advice that you liked or didn't. Placing a military a unit on top of your improvements would've been way better advice then.

Indeed.:king: Quality stuff.

Gonna bookmark your replies to give me a laugh on a bad work day.

Once again thanks.:goodjob::goodjob:

Mi priorities on building tile improvements specially on the early game are:

Luxuries (if they are not sea resources)
Pastures/wheat (if it's not over a desert without fresh water)
Strategic resources improvements
farms near rivers or lakes
mines on hills
farms on grasslands
farms on plains

in the midgame I build trading posts on jungle tiles, and sometimes over plains and even on hills if i have good production.

Also, I never leave a sigle forest tile if i have enough hills.

Guys, you may find his post funny but this doesn't mean you should be mean. Please, be nice to other people.

Regards.

Guys, you may find his post funny but this doesn't mean you should be mean. Please, be nice to other people.

Regards.

He's a workaholic, getting workers to improve your tiles particularly luxurious resources that keep you laughing is fine by me. I don't need all that happiness in my life or in my OCC starts, if someone wants to laugh with their luxuriesand bbelieve in their unnatural beliefs that I was making them laugh then don't let them. Its the luxuries that are making you laugh, not me.

If your city luxuries are Whales, Crabs, and/or Pearls, you'll need to improve these with Fishing Boats. Which in BNW at least are never plundered by Barbarians.

If your city luxuries are Whales, Crabs, and/or Pearls, you'll need to improve these with Fishing Boats. Which in BNW at least are never plundered by Barbarians.

For sea tiles, the main issue isn't just tiles being plundered: the more pressing problem is when you have a barbarian galley sitting just outside bombardment range of your city/archers, and it is blockading a huge swath of your tiles (they have a blockade radius of 2 tiles), while you hastily rush a trireme up to kill it.

If you don't already have ships on hand to deal with it (very easy to forget and/or self-justify "oh, I'll build a ship later" early on), it can often be more annoying than a couple of barbarian brutes wandering into your lands.

Isn't that unfair for civs start on coastal region with sea-based luxuries? Land-based luxuries can be improved by just 1 worker but you need 1 Work Boats for each luxuries on sea.

Top Bottom