Fortress Europe

I'm having a really tough time with Tunisia.

Spoiler :
that little problem that can happen if you lose Malta happened, and I'm now scrambling to contain it. I may very well lose the game next turn depending which cities they attack

I'm on turn 35ish? Not sure when I'll break through Tunisia, if ever. It depends on how much events help the Germans get, I suppose. By reaching its border, I am just slightly slower than the historic allies were on a 75 turn scale... So that might actually work OK. The question is how many turns will it take to destroy the substantial troops there? I don't think it'll take less than 10.

Thanks for plugging away there JP. Your feedback is invaluable. I'm hoping to get to the same sort of point today so we can compare notes. I'm pretty sure that with a slightly easier start (somewhere between the two versions we are playing) an 85 turn scenario could work very well. I'm looking forward to trying that out but I'm going to continue with my current test to gather all the useful date I can.

I have been working my way through my seemingly endless TO DO list and I'm getting close to being ready to start testing again with the shortened length version. Today I have been working a lot on the events, tagging on unit creation actions to existing events, combining and deleting events where I can. I have freed up quite a lot of space which I can use to remedy any problems I encounter in the next (hopefully last) playtest. The Battle of the Atlantic has been revised both the free up space and to make it more challening. I have added Le Havre, Salerno and Derna to the map and made the Vichy French a Civ in place of the Neutrals. I decided to ditch the Airlift (Glider) unit as it was more hastle than it was worse and I replaced it with Armoured Engineer (79th Armoured Div - Hobart's Funnies), a limited number of which will be given via event when the relavent tech is gained.

One thing I wanted to check was this event:

;5.0 - Allies capture Bardia
@IF
CityTaken
city=Bardia
attacker=Allies
defender=Axis
@THEN
FLAG
continuous
flag=1
Who=Allies
state=On
JUSTONCE
CREATEUNIT
unit=Wehrmacht SP Anti-Tank
owner=Axis
veteran=no
Count=6
homecity=NONE
locations
endlocations
@ENDIF

Can I tag a CREATEUNIT action onto a FLAG ON event without causing any problems or will the flag's continuous modifier and the createunit's JustOnce modifier clash? If it is a problem I can just ditch the CREATEUNIT action!

Fortress Europe has been a long time in the making. I could spend forever fiddling around with the graphics and tweaking certain aspects of the game, but I think the time has come for a general release Alpha test. I think the game is polished and playable but I will take on board any comments and make the relevent adjustments before the finished version is released. I hope you enjoy it!

Attachments

• Fortress Europe Alpha.7z
    7.9 MB · Views: 149
McMonkey, I have downloaded your scenario and it looks very pretty. :goodjob:
Much luck with the Alpha test of Fortress Europe! :)

I think that must be the problem. I just dug out my ToT disc and tried the Civ2.exe link to launch the game and when I loaded the scenario I get the same error/crash. For the past year or so I have been running ToT with Civ2Unlimited as it has a no-cd option and I don't have to keep swapping around discs.

I had this same error, it seems I had not moved all the files required when I moved Civ2Unlimited from my Civ2 folder to the ToT folder.

Yup, that's it. I missed the double click instruction. Do you have to re-launch the program every time you load your saved game?

This looks first rate, Drew. The terrain is beautiful, as are the units. The mechanics of play seem very well thought out, too. Looking forward to playing it.

I think that must be the problem. I just dug out my ToT disc and tried the Civ2.exe link to launch the game and when I loaded the scenario I get the same error/crash. For the past year or so I have been running ToT with Civ2Unlimited as it has a no-cd option and I don't have to keep swapping around discs.

Hmmmm i got another problem. Your version 1_1 works fine as it should but when i start your version 1_3 ( started batch and loaded winter 1941, started with civ2 unlimited settings as in instruction ) i get the error message:

"The instruction at 0x00005458 referenced to memory at 0x00005458. The process read could not be executed on the memory"

Thanks Brian, I hope it doesn't disappoint! I personally feel it is miles better than anything else (single player) I have produced before. I enjoyed my first playtest but by the time I got to Tunis I had so many fixes in mind I could not focus on the task at hand. I'm looking forward to giving it another bash!

In answer to your question. You only have to launch Civ2Unlimited once each time you play (as you do with the normal Civ2.exe). Once ToT is launched you can reload and change games as much as you like. I use Civ2Unlimited as my default for all ToT play as it means I don't need the CD in the drive. I think ToT still uses the old Civ2.exe because nothing works if you delete it. I guess Civ2Unlimited just alters some settings as it launches ToT.

Hmmmm i got another problem. Your version 1_1 works fine as it should but when i start your version 1_3 ( started batch and loaded winter 1941, started with civ2 unlimited settings as in instruction ) i get the error message:

"The instruction at 0x00005458 referenced to memory at 0x00005458. The process read could not be executed on the memory"

I'm not sure what that error means. You obviously know how to launch it as v1.1 worked so I wonder what's different with v1.3. I downloaded it and unzipped the file to my desktop then launched ToT with the Civ2Unlimited.exe. I then opened the scenario file in the folder on my desktop and it worked fine. I don't know what your doing wrong :( Is anyone else still having trouble?

I solved the issue.

I renamed the folder from "Fortress Europe v 1 3 ALPHA TEST" to "Fortress Europe" and it worked without problem. Seems Tot is a little bit concerned about the length of folder names. Strange no one else experienced it, but i am still running on XP ?!

When looking in Cheat mod with revealed map on the game, it seems, the Axis is retreating with many, many units (for example submarines) that should be used for attacking duties.

Only a small thought: You could replace the old ugly city interface of standard Civ2 ToT.

@Hans 99
Glad you got it working. I had forgotten this could be an issue. I will rename the folder and re-upload it.

When looking in Cheat mod with revealed map on the game, it seems, the Axis is retreating with many, many units (for example submarines) that should be used for attacking duties.

Only a small thought: You could replace the old ugly city interface of standard Civ2 ToT.

I thought the move units events were fixing this problem. Do you mean the U-Boats are grouping near the coats of Ireland and the Bay of Biscay? I will look into this again.

Could you elaborate on the city interface comment as I don't grasp your meaning.

Top Bottom