Test of Time Patch Project

techumseh

Deity
While getting re-established after a hard drive failure, I came across a link to this thread on Catfish's site: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=517282

It looks like a radical restructuring (for want of a better word) of Test of Time. I haven't yet had time to read the full thread, but it looks very significant and impressive. Nothing has been said of it on this site as far as I know, so I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention.

:eek:Good lord! It's hard to believe we missed this. This sort of thing leads me to think that it might be wise to merge the scenario league with the Civ2 general discussion forum.

Just read the thread.
  • Stack kills, defensive mods, and trade payoffs configurable in cosmic
  • Configurable pixel height for mountain terrain (48 pixels)
  • Custom resource placement
  • Diplomacy and Leaders2 tech steal fix
  • Unlimited event memory!
  • Fix for the moveunit event
  • Proper zoom level at start
These are only some of the currently implimented features. This is already way beyond some of the wildest aspirations of the source code retrieval projects of the past. This changes everything.

read the last few pages of the thread there and there's some remarkable stuff this guy is doing. Time to reinstall tot I think.

Thanks for the heads up

Wow! TOTPP looks like the answer to many a ToT scenario designers prayer. I can't believe it has taken us this long to discover this amazing project. After I have finished reading through the thread I will be giving TheNamelessOne a huge pat on the back and encouragement. A shame this didn't appear ten years ago but better late than never!

This like in particular from TheNamelessOne had me a little excited:

Well, considering the type of project this is, I'm guessing there's no such thing as "too technical".

I haven't even read halfway through the thread yet but already my head is full of ideas for existing scenario projects. TOTPP may well be the enthusiasm boost I needed to get back into ToT scenario design!

Has anyone tried to get the extra terrain slots working? I haven't managed to do that yet.
Perhaps I botched the terrain file editing bit, but everything looks fine.

Soon after finding out about ToTPP I lost track of the USB with all of my Civ2 projects on it. Today I finally found the free time to tear my study apart and track the precious wee bugger down. Somehow it had found its way to the very back of my inaccessible desk drawer. What a happy moment as the thought of all those hours of work lost was really annoying me. I thought I may have dropped it outside and would never see it again! Phew.

Now I can crack on with the three projects nearest completion: Spanish Civil War ToT, Aeterna Civitas III and Fortress Europe (Updated). The ToTPP will be a huge help with these projects and after a long time out of scenario creation I'm feeling enthusiastic again. I'm currently reading Orwell's Homage to Catalonia and just returned from that region after a skiing trip to Andorra. With some of the recent units for inspiration I intend to have a bash at completing the ToTPP update of Pablostuka's brilliant MGE original.

Just thought I would pop in and say that I'm still around and dabbling with Civ2 :D

I am pretty sceptical about this patch until I can see it working!
Few people seem to be actually using it, but talking about the old CIV2 "wish lists"...

I'd say that we should really test this one out with the basics, like exceeding the city limit.
It would be wonderful if this hex-wizard has broke the code, but I will believe it when I see it!

I'm going to run Exiles 1870 and try these patches out....:)
Might be another false dawn, or a brave CIV2 new era!

EDIT!

Got the new 11 TOTPP version to work, and the extra cities and even the old MGE attack 8-frame animation works!
A thrill to see it again after all these years...This util holds many exciting opportunities if it proves to be stable...:)

The 256+ cities seem to work...Trade and home ownership are not bugged!
If we could introduce more civs, our dreams of huge giga maps scens could be true...

This might be the breakthrough we have hoped for gents, fingers crossed. :D

PS
My hat is off the author for the mouse wheel scroll support alone!

The ability to add limitless tile resources around a city blew my mind!
I am going to upgrade my scenarios to reflect the many new features...! :D

I have been playing my personal version of Exile's 1870 with this patch.
And splatting down new cities all over that giga-map is SWEET! :)

Good times are here, fellows - Get this thing onto your CIV2!

So far everything I have tried with ToTPP has worked as advertised and I have found no major bugs as yet, though I have not tested it as extensively as I would have liked as yet.

I am a believer now, brother!

Personally, I think everyone on SL using ToT should archive their old version,
install a fresh CIV2 ToT, and apply TOTPP...Some of the stuff that can be done
is just splendid. Extra terrains, custom attacks, and limitless cities...That work! :D

As you can tell, I am a little excited about this new thing...;)

We have to petition TheNamelessOne to somehow hex us more civ cultures.
Imagine 6 cultures instead of 3 per civ-colour...I am drooling at the thought!

TheNamelessOne has given Test of Time a major shot in the arm. Many of the major issues that have bugged me for years are fixed and the new features will allow major improvements to all of my projects. Limited railroad movement is one of the new features that will add a new strategic element to nearly all of my scenarios. Cities not disbanding due to combat is also a major improvement and the virtually unlimited events space means I can add text events and delayed events without constantly having to check I'm not a few bytes over the limit. Massive thanks to TNO! :goodjob:

Top Bottom