Fix-It List

fjorner said:
Mouse Icon Freezes But Can Still Move in Background - Symptom: the mouse icon freezes randomly. System is otherwise ok. Can move the cursor around 'invisibly' and can click around as normal but the icon doesn't follow movements. Even happens in Windows when exiting the game. Only solved by a complete cold reboot of sys. Temporary Workaround: In control panel > mouse, enable Mouse Trails with the shortest possible length. Will only ensure that the mouse icon will be VISIBLE, if not spotty. Obviously not a solution.

I get the same problem. It didn't happen with my old (v66 or so) nVidia drivers, but it happens with the newer ones (including the ones released yesterday). I upgraded because the game totally freezes the machine after 10-20 minutes of play at present. Now my mouse freezes THEN the computer crashes. Thanks for the workaround on the mouse - I was about to roll back the drivers figuring at least the mouse would be there until it crashed. I have a GeForce4 4400. I have 1GB of RAM, a large swap file, and I turn off all other apps (including virus protection) when I attempt to play... I've also tried turning off sound and dropping graphics detail level to low... so far so bad. :mad:

Has anyone run into a problem where everything seems to be fine with the hardware capability (utilizing the tools described below), however, the lighting of the terrain in the game is very dark (where you can only see bits of terrain that are sticking out of a pool of black ink). Interestingly, the starting figures (warrior and settler) look fine. I am not extremely adept with IT issues but am a big Civ fan and am desperate to get this fixed so I can play the game.

Thanks in advance!

At random times I will order a worker to do something (anything, but usually any kind of automate) and the game will crash to the desktop. I thought it was just a worker thing, then it started happening with Great People, I'd use them and the game would crash.
It only seems to happen on my Dell Inspiron 8600, not on my PC
Here's the specs for the Dell:
1.6 Ghz Pentium
1.0 GB RAM
128MB Video Ram - ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Series (Drivers up-to-date)
80 GB HD.

My PC is custom made:
1.2Ghz Athalon
1.0 GB Ram
256 MB GForce 4 NVidia
200GB HD.

Any help would be appreciated!

Blackhawk0221 said:
Alamo...I do not understand how to accomplish Step E in Art Pak List (move up one step?). Could you please clarify these instructions?
he means move it in the up-level directory

I've greatly stabilized my system by using the nVidia utility to set image quality to "performance" as opposed to "quality." I also ratcheted down the AA to 0 and set the game preferences for renderer and shading to low and the graphics to medium. Now I can see the wonder movies without stuttering and with full sound score.

I'm using the latest drivers, BTW.
nVidia 5700/256
P4/2.53mhz/1GB RAM
Win XP Pro SP2
SB Audigy 2
Frankly, even with the ramped down settings, the game looks and plays great.

:spear: :spear: :spear:

Anyone encountered this?

I have (yes, a laptop)
AMD 3400
1024 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Mobility 128 MB

The game runs quite well. However, sometimes when I tried loading a saved game, it crashes. Loads fine, and it is on End Turn. I click on any city to make the unit active, and the PC reboots. When it boots up again, I get Microsoft message saying how Windows recovered from a serious error, with output:

BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 80042000 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb314.dir00\Mini 110605-03.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb314.dir00\sysd ata.xml

I tried not clicking on the unit, but just ending the turn, game goes through all other civilizations, asks what is next to be built and what tech to be researched, but as soon as it reaches for a unit to be active, same thing.

However, I loaded the latest autosave - worked fine?!

I thought it was a one-off, I played for few hours, saved it, tried loading it again few minutes ago, bang. Same thing. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, I could not find a pattern, though.

edit: double post. Delete pls.

Like the rest of us who enjoyed playing Civ from the first release, I've been looking forward to this fourth version. By now this enthausiasm has come to a frustrating hault and now I have come to a point that I am ready to return the game to you and demand my money back. This is not something I do lightly, or unfounded, but this game you have created is simply inmensly faulted.

Let me give you a little insight in the reasons that led me to writing this.

The Upside:
The Graphics are very pretty. The angle on zoom is great and entertaining, as are the animations of unit actions. Very nice wonder animations as well.

The Downside:
GAMEPLAY (allthough no reason for refund, I included it anyway)
=============================
The interface is very chaotic, compared to the previous versions of CIV. Miniscule little icons with some very important functions. All together not very clear. The city screen most of all...
Sometimes when you want to add something to the buildinglist in the cityscreen it adds the item, sometimes it replaces the item that was already in the list, Why???
The Icons and catagories in the building qeue are not very practical. Just the names on the list is so much easier.
Loading a building list also seems to result in a reverse list... If you want to built a: grocer - market - supermarket, they will end up in reverse on the cities list... Sure I understand that you might not need to built a grocer and market once you can built a supermarket... But why shouldn't I...???
By the way... Why isn't there a Select all button for the list???
The game keeps recommending I built, (or even auto-built) a warrior... Even though much better units are available. Also it keeps recommending I built, (or even auto-built) military units... Even though I selected to be a pacifist state.
Allthough I have plenty of money I can't seem to offer cash with my offer of rice for Ivory in the tradescreen... Annoying. I can only trade goods for goods science for science, etc... Why...? Used to be better. Makes the trading very restricted. Not really fun to do anymore.
I'd like to auto save to a specific directory. Not the default window directory, but every time I have to look up the directory I want from the initial directory shown by the save menu. Highly annoying...
Jumping back to the unit selected by the game as "next to move" is a horror. Example: If you want to move a couple of units first (who for instance were fortified in one city), and thusly interrupt the games set order of moving units, you again and again have to look up the city to select the next unit there, cause the game keeps jumping back to the unit it selected before. If the player interrupts the set order, it needs to stay interrupted, or only continue with the set order when indicated by the player. All together this game turns somewhat annoying because of the fact that everything in this game wants to jump back to some pre-selected, or start position... Makes you have to do ten times the work needed. The user is left with a very labour intensive control on selection and actions that need repeating for more cities or units.

THECHNICAL (This is where the real pain begins)
============================
It's an unacceptable unstable game. It continuously crashes for a great number of reasons. By using <ALT + TAB>.
On loading the game it freezes a lot, even with saved games. And loading takes forever, even though I meet all the system requirements easy.
Video really slows down to a frame for frame motion after a while, (usually this means it's gonna freeze up soon).
Regular crashes because of: "the nv_4 display driver stopped working normally", according to windows. (the only time I ever got an error message, the rest is just freeze and guess).
The game continuously halts for up to 2 minutes, because of... (loading, calculating, headache... Who the hell knows...?).
Continuous crashes on start of wonder movies.
These problems mentioned above occur lots more when I select a Big world, instead of a small world at the beginning of the game.
The latest f.ck up? The game simply won't draw the world. My units and cities float in a totally black screen. Funny but utterly useless.

Motivation to demand a refund.

- My System defenately fills the requirements, easy. Still... The game is one big collection of crashes. So, find another excuse, write a serious patch, or recall this game and give mye my money back. You know the reseller won't give me a refund. It's not their policy.
- The fixes... Any solutions for those of us who are not computer wizzkids ? You can't expect your customers to dig around in their PC's to solve these kinds of bugs... I mean, the fixes mentioned in the OS Update section on the official support forum are rediculous. That's High Tech computer stuff. No normal person knows what to do with that and if they would try, it will probably result in serious damage to their system, leaving me wondering if I shouldn't sue for damages.
- Driver Updates... Tried several of them. None of them resolve anything. Just spinned me into a total new dimension of "Pissed off"...
Tried unistalling the game and graphic drivers. Then re-installing the game before re-installing the driver... The result... The game now crashes every ten minutes, instead of every five minutes. Whooptyf.ckin'doo...
- DirectX Update... Guess we all know that DirectX won't accept anything but the latest version, once it's installed, so no results here.
- System Settings... Honestly, I haven't tried all of 'm yet, cause this suggestion will keep you starting up your PC and loading the game for the BETTER PART OF A WEEK...! And some of us do have jobs...
- Virtual Memory... Again one of those suggestions that will f.ck up a PC beyond believe for those who don't know what their doing.
- Game Settings... No, that won't work... Put everything on "LOW" and the game just crashes five minutes later. We shouldn't have to do that anyway, if we have a system that meets the requirements, right?
- Render Error Fix... "Download the latest Video drivers - ATI / Nvidia / S3 - do not install yet!". I'm sorry, but windows does that automatically. I can remove/delete all drivers I want and windows will install them all back as soon as I restart. Anybody else got this problem...???
- The art pack didn't fix anything for me. It just says: "Can't load Art0.FPK".
- Cleared the cash (C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\My Games\Civilization IV\cache), guess what...? My saved games went missin' too... Good suggestion dudes...!!!
- Rivatuner and nVHardPage... What exactly are you supposed to do with those... Any suggestions a human being can understand...
- SafeDisk4 Fix, Admin Permissions, Hardware Conflicts, New User Account,Other Measures... C'mon, now you're just fishing...

In short... Nothing got solved and I am loosing interest in this game... It's just too frustrating. It's a bit like driving a car of which you need to pump up 4 tires, charge the battery, fill up oil, water and gas first, every time you want to take a drive. You'd soon take the bicycle.

Final word to all forum visitors who read this... If you have a solution would be great. Repeating the fixlist is useless, I already tried all of 'm. Just disagreeing and posting some stupid remarks is equally useless, just portrais your character... I still want to play this (what could have been) great game and hope that a Patch comes soon to solve the bulk of these problems.

Right now I wouldn't recommend buying this game, no matter how good it looks.

What comes to te freezing check ur comps tempature...

My comps tempature increased ~12c, not sure what on farenheint, but 12c is a lot

Airlik said:
I get the same problem. It didn't happen with my old (v66 or so) nVidia drivers, but it happens with the newer ones (including the ones released yesterday). I upgraded because the game totally freezes the machine after 10-20 minutes of play at present. Now my mouse freezes THEN the computer crashes. Thanks for the workaround on the mouse - I was about to roll back the drivers figuring at least the mouse would be there until it crashed. I have a GeForce4 4400. I have 1GB of RAM, a large swap file, and I turn off all other apps (including virus protection) when I attempt to play... I've also tried turning off sound and dropping graphics detail level to low... so far so bad. :mad:

I was able to get it to work for extended periods (meaning a couple of hours between crashes) by using a couple of the things suggested here. What worked for me (not sure which of the following did it, but it's working now and I have not the patience to crash my machine multiple times to figure out if any one was a silver bullet):

- I'm using the latest/greatest nVidia drivers (Nov. 14th)
- changed the card to use shader 1.1
- lowered graphics detail level to medium in-game

In three hours of playing last night, it crashed once after about two hours. Since it was crashing left and right with the first of the above done, it was either the shader or the graphics detail that fixed it... I'm guessing the graphics detail. Other people are using more advanced versions of the shader and it works. I'd guess that means it's some feature they are using at high graphics quality they are not using at medium. The crash after two hours, though, makes me think memory leak...

ok i just join the club and i was reading all thoose posts and i cant beleve that i dont have any crashes at all...however i would like some opinions how to improve the stuff if its possible.
i try to play extra large and i was impossible due hi time load and laggy movment(example. it take about 3 & half sec or even 4 to build a city) and when i tryied standard it is more or less the same as large so the problems what i will describe are when playing SP Large map with 6 players including me,

1.the game is laggy especialy later on
2.loading time if i choose to load exampl. in the middle of the game take about 2 & half cigs to smoke
ok
in the ATI panel i put all things in direct X settings to best performance and i did that also in open gl settings also all other options in ati control panel section direct x and open GL are at minimum or off( i must say that when i did that the game loads faster at least at beggining and in the game it is less laggy but still a lot of lag is present.. also i notice that when i zoom more it lags less..also i alaways play off line and i have all thing turned off like antivirus and firewall and all else that can be turned off.
and in the game
i have all settings at LOW
res 1024x768
i also tryed to turn off that option and now i see only one person per unit and not 3 but i didnt notice any changes. and i turned off animations and for example the horses are not moving but elephants are moving so i beleve it is the game problem

...(please dont be angry on me for beeing the ass and trying to get maximum while you people can barely play)

i have:
ASUS A7V880 mainboard
AMD Athlon 2600+
512 RAM
ATI radeon 9200 128MB WITHOUT COOL FAN
drivers catalyst 6.14.0010.6476
direct x 9c 4.09.0000.0904
hdd 60 gb
sound integrated

today after reading all the posts i decide to upgrade BIOS and put new via drivers and sound drivers and since my graphic card does not have cooling fan i will not overclock it ....can i do anything exept that what i just mentioned

best regards to all of you

still hope to see the patch before the cristhmas :)
and that it will have at least 300 MB :)

I installed and played the game for a while, but needed my drive for another disc in the meantime and now wanted to continue to play, but got a request to insert the correct Disc. I did that but I still get that request.

the Messegebox also leads me to this solution on the support website:

Disc 2 is incorrectly labeled on some units as the "Play" disc.

1. Remove Disc 2 from the CD-ROM drive
2. Place Disc 1 in the CD-ROM drive
3. Double-click on the Civilization IV icon on your desktop, or navigate to the folder where you installed the game and double-click on the program, which is titled "Civilization4.exe"

Unfortunately my Civ4 came on a single DVD (German version). So what can I do now to get the game running again?

That's a tricky one. Are sure the disk is reading properly before clicking 'ok'?
I guess you just have to save and close to use your drive for another disk.

I'll try to answer more posts later.

Meanwhile, you may be interested in the logging instructions.

@slo5oh: I mistyped the Win2000 Artpack url (-vs_). It is fixed now.

i've followed all the renderer fix and done the art pack fix, and i still get the "Failed to Initialize Renderer" error. Any ideas what else i can do?? ive got a radeon 9600

Im not that great with computers and this is extremely frustrating..probably going to return this game in a couple of days since i cant get it working. How do they expect everyone to be able to fix this ****.

any help would be much appreciated

When I inserted the disc the autostart dialog popped up. So the disc reads correctly. I even tried to run the game with the "play" button form in that dialog. Did not work either...

However, after a reboot with the disc in the drive I could start it up again. No idea what that was. probably a caching problem or so.

I still can not play because after loading the savegame the game got so slow that it was unbearable. When I then try to zoom out or enable the map grid the game seems to get so busy that I had to restart my computer (except a very slow mouse cursor nothing was responding anymore). I tried it several times. Now I'll just wait for a patch or so...

Thanks for the quick response anyway. ;)

Okay, my problem is that the Map isn't being revealed as units move across it or the Map is revealed, however, it only is revealed partially on the screen which is very frustrating. I saw on this post that someone had figured out how to mod the xml to reveal the map completely. If someone could tell me how to do this or tell me how else to fix this problem, thanks!

btw, running the game on an Inspiron 1150 Laptop, so I know my graphics card isn't the best....the Leaders heads only show up as eye balls and teeth.

Installed Civ 4, but a (directX) DLL file can't be found.

During the installation of Direct X, I get a message saying "cabinet file cannot be trusted" and the Direct X installation terminates.

Any tips?

Top Bottom