3-square radius cities mod

You should replace original DLL in Warlords/Assets dir (make a backup of original first!) or:

1. Enter ...Civilization 4\Warlords\Mods directory.
2. Make a new folder (for ex. "3square").
3. Enter "3square".
4. Make an "Assets" folder".
5. Enter "Assets".
6. Unzip this file there.
7. Run Warlords 2.08.
8. Load "3Square" mod.

Should work!

P.S. I'll make ZIP file with complete folder structure soon.

thank you very much. I actually already have the 32 player version and the XXL/gigantic maps, but i hope you dont mind if i integrate this into my mod as well. Ill be sure to mention all credit to all mod component authors who i have borrowed ideals (and files) :goodjob:

hhhmmm.... i tried both links... not sure what the problem is but it appears the free sites you are using aren't up to speed. Im on 5mb/s cable and it takes more than 30 seconds to load up. Something is wrong. Try uploading to http://Badongo.com, its works very well for a free site

is there any way to start at a normal ciy radius, then move to the 3^2 with a certain technology?

is there any way to start at a normal ciy radius, then move to the 3^2 with a certain technology?

Im absolutely positive its possible, not sure exactly what code would need to be edited to do so though:confused:

I'm working on this, I've produced some equations that can produce the correct number of plots from a raw radius value and I'm thinking of creating run-time initialized arrays that will reflect the maximum size possible. The city can then be given a truncated portion of the array as its workable area. The cities Radius could be altered by Technology or local buildings.

I always thought that beaurocracy should extend the radius of your city...glad to hear it might be possible!

Does the AI take advantage of the extra radius?

Well of course it uses the most valuable tiles that are available to it... As far as utilizing it like a human would. i.e. planning city building with the notion that the city will eventually have 3 city radius, and just spreading cities out a little more in general, the answer is no. The AI cannot anticipate growth or really anticipate anything at all.

Well of course it uses the most valuable tiles that are available to it... As far as utilizing it like a human would. i.e. planning city building with the notion that the city will eventually have 3 city radius, and just spreading cities out a little more in general, the answer is no. The AI cannot anticipate growth or really anticipate anything at all.

Actually in my experience with using this the computer players space their cities out more widely. I wouldn't necessarily call it intelligently, but then the standard city placement is often pretty poor IMHO. It definitely takes into account that they can reach resources at the third level. The number of resources that are in range seems to be the highest priority in AI city site selection.

I have noticed some drawbacks. The AI seems more inclined to place cities one space away from the coast. On small island chains the AI's will occasionally place cities only one coast space apart.

If you feel the Ai is putting cities too close together you can change MIN_CITY_RANGE in GlobalDefines.xml ( or put the value in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml like we're supposed to). I use a value of 4 because I don't like too many cities but I like big maps.

Roger Bacon

IMHO - 4 is not always better, especially on normal and smaller maps, but ... if someone likes it - why not. :)
After about 100 games played, I prefer to set it on 3. 4 is sometimes little uncomfortable - even for you - when you want to settle another city and gather other discovered resources, but you cannot, because 4-tile limit isn't reached and the 4th tile is ... exactly on the coast. :)

Hi there,
first of all: 2 thumbs up for this !!!
I always liked to have more workable tiles than just the fat cross.

But I'm having a slight problem here.
The .dll work perfectly fine if put into a mod and loading the mod and playing with it is all running fine.

But i tried to start a scenario (more specific: earth map) and it crashes to desktop. So i made abackup of all the original .dll's and replaced them with the 3square ones....but then the game crashed right in the beginning.

Is there any solution to this ? Actually i just want to play the map of earth with 3 squares...is that asked to much ? :p

well.... who knows, unless the link dj anion provided works, im not even sure if this mod works or not. I dled it from the first post, it didn't work from there. I have other mods that work with the 3 city radius, and im pretty sure they just copied what roger bacon did, but for some strange reason, original version doesn't work for me. I have over 20 mods and create some myself on the weekends. I would imagine its a DLL problem.

thank you for this mod im tring it out

Top Bottom